Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Alpha Dawg vs. Standard Dawg?

Message Subject: Alpha Dawg vs. Standard Dawg?
Ruddiger
Posted 4/21/2019 8:16 AM (#936010)
Subject: Alpha Dawg vs. Standard Dawg?

Howdy,

For those of you that have used both extensively, do you have a preference? Does it matter?

On the surface it would appear the Alpha is a better option as it gives you a larger profile with less weight and, presumably, is going to drop a bit slower in the water which would be ideal for shallow areas or for slow fall presentations (particularly if you don't "rip" them).

However, I have read complaints on the increased chance of the bait wrapping on itself which is always miserable after the cast.

Please note that I no longer cast pounders all day (too miserable with a bad shoulder) and usually fish my dawgs slow and don't rip them.

So, based upon all that, is the Alpha a better option overall than the standard size bulldawgs or is the standard still the best option out there?

Take care,

Ruddiger
southern comfort
Posted 4/21/2019 10:21 AM (#936017 - in reply to #936010)
Subject: Re: Alpha Dawg vs. Standard Dawg?

I use alpha dawgs in both the magnum and regular size. Since you plan to fish dawgs slow and steady the alpha is a good option. You wont run the risk of wrapping the longer tail on the body while presenting a bigger profile and it moving more water. They have worked best for me in the fall
miket55
Posted 4/21/2019 11:05 PM (#936053 - in reply to #936010)
Subject: Re: Alpha Dawg vs. Standard Dawg?

Use the usual techniques to prevent "dawg balls", and you should be OK..

Alpha dawgs move more water than their "normal" counterparts.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)