Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Illinois Pierce Lake Muskie Bait Recommendations

Message Subject: Illinois Pierce Lake Muskie Bait Recommendations
FireHunter551
Posted 4/14/2019 11:31 PM (#935589)
Subject: Illinois Pierce Lake Muskie Bait Recommendations

I'm an avid bass fisherman who is changing it up this year and chasing bigger fish... namely Muskies. I invested in all the proper catch and release Muskie gear (Net, bolt cutters, etc.) over the winter. Got one 8' Muskie Rod/ conventional reel for bigger 4-12oz baits. I need to pick up a bucktail specific rod still as Ill likely use it a lot. I'll likely just use one of my bass reels on it for now.

I live 15 minutes from Pierce Lake in Rockford, Il so I'll be learning Muskie Fishing here. I dont know anything about the Muskie Fishing/ baits used on this lake. Due to the high pressure, it kinda sucks for bass in my opinion. But, This is going to be the place for me to learn Muskies unless somebody says that Shabonna is that much better. This summer, Ill be taking trips up to Castle Rock #*^@ and floating my kayak down the Wisconsin River... musky fishing.

Anyway, I dont know a ton about Musky specific baits... other than what I see youtube... which is usually people up deer in Wisconsin... 'eh. Don't know how different our fishing/ baits used is from there.

So What are you guys having success with here?

Here's what I bought to start with that is Musky specific. Too much for Pierce Lake/ Illinois? Your honest thoughts would be appreciated.:
Topwater (My favorite for Bass!!): Whopper Plopper (7 1/2", 2 3/4oz). I know Topraider is used in the Muskie community... But, I have the bigger Plopper and I'm gonna use it this year.
In Line Spinnerbaits... man are there the options to chose from. I'll make my own some day, but to start, I got:
1) Musky Mayhem Double Showgirl, Blackfire (#8 blades, 7 3/8" long, 1.8oz) - Regular every day/ year round size?
2) Musky Mayhem Baby Girl, Super Black (#6 Blades, 6 3/4" Long, 1.6oz) - Maybe for early season/ cold front slow bites... thought about just getting a Mepps Musky Killer Instead of this.
Sub Surface Jerkbait: ERC Hell Hound Jerkbait - Hot White Fish (8", 3 4/5oz)
Slow Sinking Jerkbait (1' per second) To reach Supended Fish Accurately: Phantom Lures Softail - Hot White Fish (6" (Also available in 4 & 7.5".. I went in the middle), 3oz)
Swimbait: Tackle Industries Regular Super D Swimbait - White Crappie (14", 5oz) .. Have no idea why I bought this bait

Other baits I've had laying around forever for Pike and Bass Fishing that I've heard guys using for muskie... but I cant see the hooks holding up. I'm not really wanting to catch a ton of 14-16" bass while chasing Muskies:
3" lipless crankbaits
#5 Mepps Comet Minnows (Thin hooks that cannot be upgraded)
#5 Mepps Aglia's (Cant upgrade hooks)
3/4 and 1oz Dardevles
#6 Single Blade Super Vibrax
#5 Single Blade Super Vibrax Bucktail
#6 Double Blade Super Vibrax Bucktail

I'm mainly interested in getting started early this year. I already went out yesterday in the 30mph winds and threw the #6 Vibrax... unsure of what would happen... just experimenting. I'm not targeting trophies yet... just getting my feet wet.

Thanks!!
miket55
Posted 4/15/2019 12:06 AM (#935593 - in reply to #935589)
Subject: Re: Illinois Pierce Lake Muskie Bait Recommendations

You have a pretty decent beginner's arsenal. Unless you want to throw a lot of $$ into stuff, just start out with what you have and see what sort of response, if any you get from your quarry, and adjust from there. Don't expect instant results.

Good luck!!
kdawg
Posted 4/17/2019 10:42 AM (#935722 - in reply to #935593)

Don't know to much about Pierce, but I believe the main forage base is shad. Check your current arsenal and see what you got to match the hatch and go from there. Kdawg
8HPTROLLER
Posted 4/19/2019 12:15 PM (#935921 - in reply to #935589)

8" jointed Believers, white coach dog. casting or trolling.
Rich
AFchris
Posted 5/14/2019 1:07 AM (#937311 - in reply to #935589)

FireHunter,

Sorry for delayed response. I only check this page like once every other month now lol. My wife Cari lived in Rockton so I got some time to fish on Pierce lake here and there. Not that it matters but Pierce is her maiden name and I always used it as an excuse to further my justification for fishing it

Ice Out: 1oz Tony Grant Rattle Traps and Glides! They love some hellhounds and 6" Phantoms. I hit my glides pretty aggressively and have got some really nice strikes out there doing this. Color wise...depends on water clarity. It can get pretty muddy out there in the spring.

Post Spawn: Nutbuster Jr. I'm a spinnerbait chucking junky. I've had some really good luck post spawn with a gold/red Nutbuster Jr. Glides seem to work well this time of year too. Bucktails...stay in the 8 or single 8/Fluted 9 range.

Summer; troll! Most these fish will suspend out in the middle. Neutral running baits live a shad rap have done well.

Fall: Ok...someone is gunna launch a nuke at my face for saying this out loud but suckers!!!! Find bait....stay there. They will come haha.

Let me know how you do. I miss that little lake.

Chris

FireHunter551
Posted 5/30/2019 10:45 PM (#940119 - in reply to #937311)

Thanks for the responses guys. I too have been away from the forum. I need to spend more time here to learn.

Anyway, I spent a lot of time throwing the 8" hell hound, Rapala Super Shad and Buck Tails... mostly My Black Double Showgirl With Some Fire-tiger Accents. The water has been murky fro the rain. Honestly, I don't know Musky Behavior, Spawn, etc. yet. I've just been throwing blindly all over the lake to no avail. When is/ was the Musky spawn in Illinois? I'm a pretty decent bass fisherman, so I have been targeting Musky around somewhat similar structure. Haven't been trolling for suspended fish yet.

I was physically tired one day from throwing the big stuff so I switched to a medium light spinning rod, 8lb line, no leader, and a 5" Powerbait Fluke for bass. After days of casting the big stuff... I caught a small Ski within 2 CASTS!!! lol I was real lucky he didn't break off. It was my first time catching and holding a Musky. He was a little guy, but still a good experience. I ate him for dinner............. And all the Musky fishermen just flipped their lids. I'm kidding of course. I took him out of the water, took a quick pic and sent him on his way. He swam off real strong.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)