Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Modog Running Rack Question

Reply New post
Message Subject: Modog Running Rack Question
whynot
Posted 4/8/2019 9:16 AM (#934866)
Subject: Modog Running Rack Question

I'm looking at building my own rod rack similar to the Modog one everyone hypes up (they look awesome! just can't justifiy spending $400 on something I can build easily). The only question I have is how they are secured to the boat? I have a 621 and would rather not drill new holes if avoidable, but will if necessary. Anyone have a Modog rack or something similar that has pictures of how they are secured? Thanks!

Jerry Newman
Posted 4/8/2019 9:49 AM (#934868 - in reply to #934866)
Subject: RE: Modog Running Rack Question

whynot - 4/8/2019 9:16 AM
The only question I have is how they are secured to the boat?

4 screws, 2 drilled into the boat on each side.
muskymartin67
Posted 4/8/2019 9:54 AM (#934869 - in reply to #934866)
Subject: Re: Modog Running Rack Question

my friend has them on his boat I asked him same question and yes you do have to drill holes to secure them

Edited by muskymartin67 4/8/2019 9:55 AM
whynot
Posted 4/8/2019 10:20 AM (#934871 - in reply to #934866)

Ok thanks!
whynot
Posted 4/9/2019 9:56 AM (#934944 - in reply to #934866)

Just an FYI, I was wrong about the price of the Modog Running Racks. They are $295, not $400.
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/9/2019 6:09 PM (#935036 - in reply to #934944)

whynot - 4/9/2019 9:56 AM

Just an FYI, I was wrong about the price of the Modog Running Racks. They are $295, not $400.

Thanks for clarifying, I'm pretty sure that includes shipping or install at his shop (your choice).

Couple things I like about these racks other than the obvious are the rack is wide enough to double as a casting deck, and it keeps your shins from getting beat up on the fiberglass when trolling in rough water.

I had him custom make this one a couple years ago with the cubbies for the boards and only a 4 hole rack because I noticed I really didn't need the six holes in my previous boat. Very satisfied customer!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(runnin.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments runnin.jpg (62KB - 455 downloads)
4amuskie
Posted 4/9/2019 9:46 PM (#935070 - in reply to #934866)

Please dont screw these to the boat. I used a bracket to attach to casting deck fastener on several I made myself.
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/10/2019 12:06 PM (#935108 - in reply to #935070)

For me they are permanent so I really don't care about the screws.

I asked him about installing 2 seat bases in the rod rack (bolted through the side compartments for support), but he was concerned about the liability and declined. If I did more casting I would have made it myself with seat bases…

Either way for $300 it was kind of a no-brainer to just have him make it for me. If you notice in the picture the lame tool holders are deleted, we did that in his shop with some left over carpet.
4amuskie
Posted 4/10/2019 1:24 PM (#935113 - in reply to #934866)

LOL....I really like the tool holders. You also could put a little hinge on them and its a nice little compartment to store stuff. If you didnt like the chrome you can flip them over and they then fit on opposite sides and are brushed aluminum finish.
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/10/2019 3:32 PM (#935123 - in reply to #935113)

4amuskie - 4/10/2019 1:24 PM

LOL....I really like the tool holders. You also could put a little hinge on them and its a nice little compartment to store stuff. If you didnt like the chrome you can flip them over and they then fit on opposite sides and are brushed aluminum finish.

To each their own, enjoy my friend! I'm just not willing to go through the hassle of hinging them (and building a box below) for such a small amount of awkward storage myself.

BTW, the metal piece worked perfect to glue the carpet on so that it would be level with the deck. Although having those tool holders outwardly sounds good, the location leaves something to be desired. I looked at them as just another place to snag/trip-on while netting a fish, plus there is already one of those tool holders in front of the storage on the port side.

How many pairs of pliers/scissors do you need?
Brian Hoffies
Posted 4/10/2019 4:34 PM (#935134 - in reply to #934866)

At least 4 for a 20' boat.
4amuskie
Posted 4/11/2019 9:12 AM (#935196 - in reply to #935123)

Jerry Newman - 4/10/2019 3:32 PM

4amuskie - 4/10/2019 1:24 PM

To each their own, enjoy my friend! I'm just not willing to go through the hassle of hinging them (and building a box below) for such a small amount of awkward storage myself.

BTW, the metal piece worked perfect to glue the carpet on so that it would be level with the deck. Although having those tool holders outwardly sounds good, the location leaves something to be desired. I looked at them as just another place to snag/trip-on while netting a fish, plus there is already one of those tool holders in front of the storage on the port side.

How many pairs of pliers/scissors do you need?

We all have different fishing styles and these boats are used for all kinds of them. I do multiple things with mine and those little things come in handy when walleye, salmon, bass fishing. Just like the Modog racks and how people set them up. i really like the different stuff people do to their boats and have adapted alot of things for my own use.
As far as how many pliers I need it really comes down to if I can remember where I put them........
Steve Le Maitre
Posted 4/12/2019 1:13 AM (#935282 - in reply to #934866)

I made something similar. One thing I notice on many of these is that the slots / tubes are a little close to one another, I can see you get more storage tubes in over a shorter run but having your reels fouling !
Junkman
Posted 4/12/2019 6:50 AM (#935286 - in reply to #935282)

I’m just jealous Steve actually knows how to post a photo, I’ve been trying for five years!
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/12/2019 10:27 AM (#935315 - in reply to #935282)

Steve Le Maitre - 4/12/2019 1:13 AM

I made something similar. One thing I notice on many of these is that the slots / tubes are a little close to one another, I can see you get more storage tubes in over a shorter run but having your reels fouling !

That was one of the reasons why I had mine built with only 4 rod holders spaced a little further apart, three of those reels are the larger Shimano 700s BTW.

I don't leave lures dangling long-distance while in the holders either because at 50+ MPH the lures and sharp hooks really beat against the rods and line. I'm also not a fan of advertising baits as well... one of the local guide’s best pieces of equipment is his binoculars.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)