Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> The new generation?

Message Subject: The new generation?
JayD
Posted 4/1/2019 1:16 PM (#934303 - in reply to #934051)
Subject: Re: The new generation?

I caught more muskie here last year with a 6500C3, $29.95 Bass Pro Flipping stick, and a $4 glide bait I picked up used. Oh, and I spent more time in my $100 14 foot cartopper boat with a 1986 7.5 Evinrude than I did in my Polar Kraft..

NPike
Posted 4/1/2019 2:00 PM (#934308 - in reply to #934301)

Fishing important but families 1st, so I do buy some rather expensive gear at times but I know when to walk away. Us older guys on fixed incomes need to be as price conscious as most folks.
Musky Brian
Posted 4/1/2019 2:48 PM (#934313 - in reply to #934308)

I’m still pretty OK with the custom rod, tranx and ranger myself ...
esoxaddict
Posted 4/1/2019 4:06 PM (#934333 - in reply to #934051)

If your boat, truck, and gear cost more than your house you may have a muskie problem.
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/1/2019 4:46 PM (#934338 - in reply to #934333)

esoxaddict - 4/1/2019 4:06 PM

If your boat, truck, and gear cost more than your house you may have a muskie problem.

Or you live in an area with pretty cheap housing.
M Ruff
Posted 4/1/2019 4:58 PM (#934339 - in reply to #934051)
Subject: RE: The new generation?

Introduced my then new son to fishing at 5, fortunately it stuck.
To bait casters at 7.
This not only gave him a love for outdoors BUT it definitely kept him out of trouble as a teenager.
Now he tells me his biggest problem is getting off the water and out of the woods.
He's also a great father of a daughter and son (Hunter).

Never forget that it's not just the fish that we're after.
14ledo81
Posted 4/1/2019 6:13 PM (#934347 - in reply to #934339)

M Ruff - 4/1/2019 4:58 PM

Introduced my then new son to fishing at 5, fortunately it stuck.
To bait casters at 7.
This not only gave him a love for outdoors BUT it definitely kept him out of trouble as a teenager.
Now he tells me his biggest problem is getting off the water and out of the woods.
He's also a great father of a daughter and son (Hunter).

Never forget that it's not just the fish that we're after.

Many men fish their whole lives without realizing it's not fish they are after ..
esoxaddict
Posted 4/1/2019 6:27 PM (#934351 - in reply to #934338)

Pointerpride102 - 4/1/2019 4:46 PM

esoxaddict - 4/1/2019 4:06 PM

Or you live in an area with pretty cheap housing.

If I wasn't married, I'd be living in a loft on the second floor of a 6 car garage full of all my toys and gear, so I'm not really one to talk. But I still laugh when I look at the boat ads... "Gotta sell my 621 Ranger because I ordered a new boat!" The truck in front of the boat is at least $50k, sleds or ATV's in the garage, and the house looks like Sanford and Son...
Smell_Esox
Posted 4/4/2019 8:06 AM (#934594 - in reply to #934051)

In all honesty a newbie could probably go out and buy a cheap rod, throw a 6500 on it and cast a 700 Buchertail or Mepps Musky Killer and catch as many as me in a year with all my crap!
Fish4muskie
Posted 4/4/2019 8:40 AM (#934602 - in reply to #934088)

8 weeks vacation and $$ in your pocket??...I want your job. Lol
Fish4muskie
Posted 4/4/2019 8:43 AM (#934603 - in reply to #934051)

I have started simplifying my arsenal and have started catching more fish. I used to snap on a new bait every hour or so. Now i throw 1-5 a day.
Fish4muskie
Posted 4/4/2019 8:55 AM (#934604 - in reply to #934051)

I have started simplifying my arsenal and have started catching more fish. I used to snap on a new bait every hour or so. Now i throw 1-5 a day.
Andy Myers Lodge
Posted 4/4/2019 10:24 AM (#934614 - in reply to #934051)

its easy to get caught up in the designer baits and bait/tackle costs. a guy can really get by with a doz lures...i keep telling myself i'd be better off...but look at my boat! ha ya rt easy to say . however it is the truth. some of the very best and consistant anglers i get to spend time with are that way, 8-10 diff types of baits and a couple diff basic colors to cover conditions they have confidence in and put the baits in the rt places at the rt time...no magic. ya equipment is way more expensive but way better, more specific, more forgiving,and lasts longer. like i buy a pair of meinke boots last me 4-5 years buy a pair of rockys last me 1-2 max.. buy less but better,more presentation specific instead of looking for magic and fancy colors to replace time on the water, a couple of good top end rod reel combos from med heavy to hvy or heavy to extra heavy or what ever combo fits depending on your fishery(s) and lures/presentations....every year as i reflect back the top 6-8 biggest fish come on pretty much the same 4-5 baits or types and colors...but still its hard to convince yourself of that...and even tougher for a beginner i'd imagine. so the disease spreads ha!
boats and thier equipment ya wow! and it seems you got to keep chasing the new technology every year.
but as far as requitement ya 8-15 yrs ago i was really really worried but last 1-5 yrs or so because of efforts across the board by individuals/groups donating thier experience/time, fishing and hunting communities including internet,tv,etc etc, schools and teams,etc etc,seems everywhere concerned people in our industry are using many diff media sources both interacting and social to get kids...(and thier parents because of it) involved i see lots of kids getting back into the outdoors again and the biggest jump in new entrys...women...and they arent doing it to get to go along on vacation, they are serious about it and learning how to do it rt. i dont think we will see an explosion but we've slowed down the losses and seen some new growth in our exciting sport.
good luck this season...you make it!...and take a kid or a gal fishing.
herbie

Edited by Andy Myers Lodge 4/4/2019 10:32 AM
ED13
Posted 4/7/2019 8:38 AM (#934812 - in reply to #934051)

I have paid $80+ for lures and mostly use StCroix LT rods and have a Tranx as well as other high end reels. I also have numerous old 5500 and 6500 reels I bought used and new 15-20 years ago and old rods from that time I still use. Last year I threw expensive and cheap lures (down to $2 spoons) and ended up not catching a fish on a lure that cost more than $25. I started muskie fishing out of a kayak and still use the same one about 25% of my time now.

Like many things you can spend a lot for a little to get started. I currently have hundreds of baits and most have not seen the water in 10 years. I usually take around 10 lures with me and use 1-5 for the day. Fifty lures for different applications, time of year, etc is all I really need (could be even less).

About half my time on the water is with my daughters (12 & 13) and both enjoy it for different reasons. My oldest likes to catch fish and my youngest likes to hang out and talk (catches some fish as well). Both are good reasons. I try to introduce them to activities that they can possibly enjoy for the rest of their lives. So far fishing looks like it may stick.

supertrollr
Posted 4/7/2019 9:16 AM (#934817 - in reply to #934051)

there is lots of lures as good if not better than the one that charge a tons for molded cranks,or blades with a lil skull head etc etc the lures from drifter and joe bucher,musky mayhem will catch you tons of big fish under all the situations. at less than 25 dollars imho its fairly cheap. with all the crap that we got from climate change it will surely help if there is less pressure from the new gen. with internet info musky have never been that targeted so to be honest it would not be a bad thing if a lots of kids move towards another species that really enjoy hot water like bass
North of 8
Posted 4/7/2019 10:02 AM (#934820 - in reply to #934817)

The late Al Denninger, who guided on the Chippewa Flowage and was an EMT in Milwaukee for many years, had a good plan for getting young folks interested. For years he made a type of bucktail that was a little different and he would have a booth at sports shows in the Milwaukee area. His wife said if a kid came up and showed interest in musky fishing, Al would take whatever time needed to talk to them and when they left they most times had a free musky sized bucktail. He got them fired up (master story teller) and then gave them a base tool, the bucktail.
supertrollr
Posted 4/7/2019 12:02 PM (#934827 - in reply to #934051)

sry dbl post

Edited by supertrollr 4/7/2019 12:03 PM
ToddM
Posted 4/7/2019 1:37 PM (#934832 - in reply to #934051)

I have a 14ft princecraft that's seen around 800 Muskies netted. Some incredible days and weekends too. My best days in fact over the years. My best day for action last year was 8 fish eat in 4 hours caught 3 and lost 3 more of those at the boat. That was in the princecraft. I paid 13 bucks for that bait. I paid 2 grand for that boat. Is the expensive stuff nice? Yep. If you know what you are doing and can make the right choices you can be extremely successful. Cost does not define success.

I went multi-species fishing yesterday. Took my crestliner, cause it was windy. I put on one crank bait and slayed them. The crankbait and fishing in the wind where no one else would were not random guesses. I told a couple at the ramp what to throw as I launched.

Edited by ToddM 4/7/2019 1:42 PM
otto
Posted 4/7/2019 5:39 PM (#934844 - in reply to #934051)

Meh... where there's a will.when I got hooked back in the earliest of 80s I got tackle sticker shock too. Learned to roll my own hair and got good enough at it to sell enough to buy what I couldn't make. Caught a ton of fish out of a 14' Sea Nymph that I miss to this day. Still on a budget, no Ranger but got a good glass boat adequately outfitted within my means. Already paid for itself a few time over in tournament winnings so I'm good.

Just retired and I'll probably die in that boat if I don't win the lottery. Since I don't play, guess what.

You either got it (the sickness) or you don't.
ndsumiller
Posted 4/16/2019 12:09 AM (#935650 - in reply to #934051)

I'm a millennial. It feels weird acknowledging it, but I am. I first muskie fished with my buddy and his dad on Vermillion when I was about 21/22. I had no idea what I was doing and they had me throwing a Tally Whacker for a majority of the time because it was easy. I had a blast. Didn't see a dang muskie, but enjoyed the time and nature. That was really my first fishing experience. I had done a little fishing for panfish when I was a kid, but had no idea how to fish until that Vermillion trip. My buddy was amazed how terrible I was at casting a baitcaster and did a pretty good job fixing it as best he could. After a few years, I was finally out of college and thought it would be fun to start muskie fishing more often, so I bought a 6500 (for $90 brand new at Gander in 2010!) and had my buddy's dad build me a rod. Went fishing a few more times, but never really went gung-ho for it. After buying a bunch of lures a few years later,I went to Eagle lake with my father in law. He didn't really know too much about where to go, and I had no idea either, so he caught one fish and we did fine with northerns/walleyes. The 6500 stripped a gear mid trip and I used a backup reel off one of his setups until I could get home and send it in.

I now have three casting setups, and the 6500 that was replaced by Abu is now my northern reel. I have a bunch of baits (way less than a lot of you, by the looks of it) and have tried to get out as much as I can. I don't have a boat, so I'm limited by that and very little free time yet. Learning to muskie fish before any other species, and working backwards from there was fun. It's been awesome to know that family to get me into this crazy sport, and I'm blessed to have a wife who lets me do this as often I can. I have never paid more than $40 for a lure and that included shipping, and don't plan to pay any more than that going forward. Price can absolutely deter the young newcomers, but there are things to be done to help that.

Edited by ndsumiller 4/16/2019 12:14 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)