Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Whitefish and Snake Bay, LOTW

Message Subject: Whitefish and Snake Bay, LOTW
jaultman
Posted 3/28/2019 1:22 PM (#934003)
Subject: Whitefish and Snake Bay, LOTW

I have a hot chance to stay on Snake Bay with family.

Keeping any and all species in mind, when would you go:

- early to mid June

- early July

- late August through September.

Appreciate any insight.
JZ2386
Posted 3/29/2019 7:52 AM (#934063 - in reply to #934003)
Subject: Re: Whitefish and Snake Bay, LOTW

If you are chasing muskies, I believe that the season opens 3rd Saturday in June. I could be wrong but I think that's what I remember.
Abu7000
Posted 3/29/2019 4:07 PM (#934095 - in reply to #934003)
Subject: RE: Whitefish and Snake Bay, LOTW

Great area for smallies in Snake and Whitefish bays...a few muskies in Snake Bay and some big muskies in Whitefish on the islands and reefs just out of Snake Bay...mid July through mid August are great...many walleyes in both Snake and Whitefish bays but I have no idea about where you would fish for walleyes... both smallies and muskies can be found on the many islands with boulder shorelines and on reefs...don't forget to fish both shallow and deeper as the water tends to be clear...hope you have fun... also look for weeds in bays...Muskies open the 3rd Saturday of June...June 15

Edited by Abu7000 3/29/2019 4:09 PM
jaultman
Posted 4/1/2019 8:12 AM (#934274 - in reply to #934095)
Subject: RE: Whitefish and Snake Bay, LOTW

Abu7000 - 3/29/2019 4:07 PM

Great area for smallies in Snake and Whitefish bays...a few muskies in Snake Bay and some big muskies in Whitefish on the islands and reefs just out of Snake Bay...mid July through mid August are great...many walleyes in both Snake and Whitefish bays but I have no idea about where you would fish for walleyes... both smallies and muskies can be found on the many islands with boulder shorelines and on reefs...don't forget to fish both shallow and deeper as the water tends to be clear...hope you have fun... also look for weeds in bays...Muskies open the 3rd Saturday of June...June 15

Thanks Abu7000! Good to know I shouldn't overlook Snake Bay itself for muskies. Still working with my uncle to nail down a time that works for all of us. Unfortunately mid-July through mid-August is out.
Booch
Posted 4/15/2019 11:28 AM (#935614 - in reply to #934003)

Early to mid June could be tough if you hit the musky's transition period after spawning. There's also a bloom that happens on LOTW (not sure if in that area) sometime in August that could ruin your trip. Best part about late August / September is you have a lot less, if any, flies to deal with!
Tommy
Posted 4/29/2019 12:15 PM (#936464 - in reply to #934003)

I stay in Sioux Narrows every year. Always give the clear water muskies a shot, but it's a lot tougher around there. I tend to make a big run NW if I want to put in a full day in the boat and hit it hard. That said, I've seen some big girls on the northern end of Whitefish Bay. No bloom in this area as mentioned before, very clear water.

Lots of points and reefs around Twin Island, Fire Island, and Index Island that are good. I've caught Walleyes in Log Bay before, but it's pretty hit/miss. Lots of pike in there though, with some bigger ones which can be fun. Sometimes the small neckdowns will have a school of Walleyes hanging out. Drive through and check the sonar. Easy to check and see if it's worth any time.

Not a ton of pressure in that area of the lake, so it can be really fun to fish.
jaultman
Posted 4/30/2019 9:29 AM (#936541 - in reply to #934003)

Decided on the weekend of muskie opener to go up there, so I may just have to bring that gear along...

Thanks for the tips.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)