Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Rules of Manhood #3: Never hesitate to reach for the last beer or the last slice of pizza, but not both, that's just greedy.
- (Added by: Snowcrest 6)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Doing Foil Baits

Message Subject: Doing Foil Baits
Brad P
Posted 3/28/2019 12:12 PM (#933994)
Subject: Doing Foil Baits

Would anyone be willing to share their tips and tricks for doing foil baits? I've enjoyed my expanded shop this winter and I'd like to tackle this style of paint job. Looking to accelerate my learning curve a bit if anyone is willing to share.
Eastman03
Posted 3/28/2019 1:08 PM (#933999 - in reply to #933994)
Subject: RE: Doing Foil Baits

I use regular aluminum ducting foil tape. Trace out the side profile of the lure, and cut it out. I then usually (unless you want a smooth look) press the foil into a steel mesh, like stucco metal lathe, or whatever else (some guys use handles of ratchets for a knurled look) to get a design. Very carefully line up and stick the foil onto the bait making sure I don't have any bubbles. I press down and smooth the edges with a bone folder (any smooth plastic surface will do, like a pen). Sometimes I cut out other shapes like gills, or mouth pieces to accent the lure as well. Then I epoxy over to get a smooth surface, paint (usually with transparents to get that shine show through), then final finishing epoxy layers.

I recently got into cutting strips of foil out with scalloped shears and painstakingly put layers of these strips on the lure to create foil scales! I really love that look, but it takes a long time!
YouTube has many great videos of guys foiling lures. There is also a great and very active facebook group designated strictly to foiling baits (lots of guys heat press nail foil onto lures, something I'm not familiar with). It's called Custom foiled lures.
Foiling is a fun way of quickly creating depth and shine into a lure. Make sure you start out with a real smooth surface, and take your time with the edges and details.

Edited by Eastman03 3/28/2019 1:12 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_0152.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0152.JPG (115KB - 565 downloads)
Brad P
Posted 3/28/2019 1:11 PM (#934001 - in reply to #933999)
Subject: Re: Doing Foil Baits

Any tips on painting over it?
Gringo Loco
Posted 3/28/2019 6:40 PM (#934025 - in reply to #933994)

I like to use holographic foils that are available online and at many sites. Although they come with adhesive I generally apply epoxy, stick down the foil, and then apply some blue painting tape to hold the edges down until the epoxy sets up. Opaque paints tend to obscure the pattern underneath so I generally use transparent acrylic or transparent lacquer paints over the foils.
All Eyes
Posted 3/28/2019 9:54 PM (#934040 - in reply to #933994)

A tip I use to hide the edge lines from foil or decal material, is to coat the foiled bait with epoxy and let dry before painting it.
Here is a video from one of the best in the business showing how he goes about foiling a bait. This is Mikko from Finland, aka Solar's Baits. If you aren't familiar with his work, I recommend checking out his other videos. His baits are incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PapcxZfYAQ
All Eyes
Posted 3/28/2019 10:28 PM (#934046 - in reply to #933994)

Regarding paint for foiled baits, Createx or Wicked transparent colors are what I use for the sides, while the belly and back will get opaque paint to hide the edges.
Here are a few of my foiled wood baits.

Edited by All Eyes 3/28/2019 10:42 PM

(foiled baits reduced.jpg)

(foiled baits reduced2.jpg)

(foiled baits reduced3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments foiled baits reduced.jpg (107KB - 618 downloads)
Attachments foiled baits reduced2.jpg (76KB - 555 downloads)
Attachments foiled baits reduced3.jpg (78KB - 570 downloads)
Eastman03
Posted 3/29/2019 9:41 AM (#934072 - in reply to #933994)

Yea transparent paints are the way to go!
Here is another great video of Gaddgapet doing some amazing foil work in an inverview with Larry Dalhburg of Makelure.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ZM2bChVU4
1VW
Posted 3/29/2019 2:02 PM (#934089 - in reply to #933994)

There are almost as many ways to foil a bait as there are to paint one. Not that I'm any sort of expert but I thought I'd share the ways I seem to use the most. In all these cases, after I foil, I like to immediately spray the bait with a "scratch" coat of Krylon artists fixative which seems to stick to anything and just about anything will stick to it. The scratch coat going on immediately will also keep the foil from oxidizing and dulling out if it sits around awhile before I get the chance to paint it:

Way #1, for flat sided baits or baits with gentle curves: The foil tape method as described in the excellent advice given by Eastman and his pretty bait as well as All Eyes baits. You can add texture to the tape tons of different ways but I like the good ol pasta roller method of texture plus foil plus soft backing material squished though a pasta roller. If you don't want to go through the extra effort of cutting out separate gill plate details etc. - don't, just put a layer of glue on the head where the gill details will be, apply foil tape to the whole bait and emboss in the gill detail on the foil (a dried up ball point pen works great) before the glue underneath sets.

Way #2, for non-flat sided baits with steep curves or weird body profiles where foil tape gives too many wrinkles to mess with: use a thinner aluminum foil like kitchen foil/Reynolds wrap that can conform to curves easier, texture if you wish with whatever (like the pasta roller) spray glue on the bait or coat the bait with something like thinned down pva glue, wait til the glue is tacky and make a foil sandwich with a sheet of foil laid on both sides of the bait - squeeze the whole works between 2 thick sponges and voila, foiled bait with little to no wrinkles. trim the excess and smooth the seams. This method may still require epoxy over the foil before you paint to smooth and hide the seams. One other advantage of this method is that you can get thin metal foil sheets for cheap which have some crazy colors already on them like the Reynolds Ultrafoil sheets

Way #3, for baits with lots of carved or intricate details and sharp corners or baits where you are trying to limit how much epoxy you have to do or reduce extra finish weight that could negatively impact how the bait swims: use metal leaf like sculptors metal leaf sheets sold by Speedball or Creative Concepts or the like. Lots of different colors available. Lay a sheet of the metal leaf on the counter, coat the bait with thinned down pva or spray glue and wait until it's tacky then touch the bait down onto the sheet of metal leaf, slowly flip the bait over and use a soft bristle brush to rub the leaf onto the bait. Brush off any hanging bits and then repeat for the other side of the bait. There will be no seams to hide and thus no need for a layer of epoxy pre-paint.

Way #4, Alternative to metal leaf, just because I like it sometimes or want to fill in a spot I may have missed with one of the other methods or want portions of a bit to have the foil look without covering the whole bait in foil: gilders paste wax or Rub N' Buff. That's right, wax based metal paste, wipe it on with a sponge brush, let it dry a bit and buff it with an old T shirt rag slightly until it shines. A coat of spray lacquer over the top negates any issues you would end up with thanks to the wax content of the paste, then paint & clear as normal. I like to put this over a black base on carved baits so that some of the detail in crevices shows through, you'll lose that detail highlight if you're heavy handed with the paste. Again no seams and available in about any color under the sun.

Lots and lots of other ways to do it, these are just the ones I like to use the most
Have fun!
1VW

(foil tape.jpg)

(tape drawn detail.jpg)

(texturing.jpg)

(foil sandwich.jpg)

(foild sandwich 2.jpg)

(metal leaf.jpg)

(leafing.jpg)

(leaf no seam.jpg)

(gilders wax.jpg)

(gilders wax2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments foil tape.jpg (80KB - 555 downloads)
Attachments tape drawn detail.jpg (95KB - 501 downloads)
Attachments texturing.jpg (127KB - 472 downloads)
Attachments foil sandwich.jpg (111KB - 517 downloads)
Attachments foild sandwich 2.jpg (99KB - 461 downloads)
Attachments metal leaf.jpg (92KB - 519 downloads)
Attachments leafing.jpg (86KB - 487 downloads)
Attachments leaf no seam.jpg (77KB - 487 downloads)
Attachments gilders wax.jpg (105KB - 479 downloads)
Attachments gilders wax2.jpg (127KB - 465 downloads)
jdsplasher
Posted 3/29/2019 4:47 PM (#934099 - in reply to #934089)

Virg; Love the gold....Gorgeous 

JD

Landry
Posted 3/29/2019 6:07 PM (#934103 - in reply to #933994)

Really enjoyed this thread. Some amazing work and advice here. Thanks.
All Eyes
Posted 3/29/2019 7:40 PM (#934107 - in reply to #933994)

1VW, your work is exceptional. Thank you for sharing the pics and great advice.
Eastman03
Posted 4/1/2019 9:05 AM (#934280 - in reply to #933994)

Pasta roller! Another kitchen gadget repurposed for lure making. That's hilarious. Amazing work and thanks for the tips 1VW.
Do any of you guys polish your foil before clear coating with anything? Like 1VW mentioned, I noticed some of my more handled foil jobs kinda get cloudy. I was thinking about getting some aluminum polish to see if I could get the brightness back before epoxy then paint.
Brad P
Posted 4/1/2019 11:30 AM (#934296 - in reply to #933994)

Thank you to everyone in this thread. Lots of great insights.
1VW
Posted 4/1/2019 1:41 PM (#934305 - in reply to #933994)

Thanks for the kind words guys, didn't mean to hijack this thread, just trying to share.

JD, that gold bait was built in 2011 and has been a consistent producer; just had to sand down the top layer of epoxy and re-coat so you could see something other than toothmarks. It was on the rack when I needed an example for embossed gill detail

Eastman, the pasta roller works awesome! You can adjust the thickness for different types of texture and what degree of texture you want. Garage sale special as was the silicon baking mat I use for backer. The scratch coat of clear immediately put on the foil really helps prevent clouding from additional handling, you can manipulate the foil while having the clear barrier between your hands and the metal. Great idea with the strips of foil scales on your bait by the way, I never thought of doing something like that.
VW

(IMG_2589 (480x360).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2589 (480x360).jpg (70KB - 458 downloads)
All Eyes
Posted 4/1/2019 3:18 PM (#934319 - in reply to #933994)

Here are a few pictures that show how I have gone about putting a scale pattern on my foiled baits. I first carved the gill plates which is optional but gives them a nice 3-d effect.
In the first method, you can glue down a mess netting material as shown, and apply the foil over top of it by pressing down with your fingers. Another way that I found is by using a Dremel tool with a sanding cone bit. Held at an angle, a slight touch of the bit will hone out this little scale shape. If you practice a bit to do somewhat straight lines, it takes very little time and the effect can look pretty cool.

(carved gills.JPG)

(netting.JPG)

(scales2.JPG)

(scales5.JPG)

(foil bait2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments carved gills.JPG (75KB - 465 downloads)
Attachments netting.JPG (67KB - 470 downloads)
Attachments scales2.JPG (93KB - 460 downloads)
Attachments scales5.JPG (114KB - 442 downloads)
Attachments foil bait2.jpg (104KB - 520 downloads)
All Eyes
Posted 4/1/2019 3:37 PM (#934322 - in reply to #933994)

This is another pattern done with a Dremel tool and this time a small round bit. It's impossible to screw up because you just make random little gouge spots everywhere. It still makes for a nice overall effect.

(0002.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 0002.jpg (106KB - 557 downloads)
Brad P
Posted 4/16/2019 8:32 AM (#935657 - in reply to #933994)

A question on the baits where you have a color or hue over the foil. Are you guys using a special paint for that or are you dying the epoxy to create the colored effect? Or is it a colored Foil? I'd like to attempt one of those gold/black patterns that 1VW posted on my way to a walleye look. I adhered a test piece of foil over a pizza box which I've been throwing different combos of paints on, but I'm finding that using transparent paints, I end up just covering the foil. I'm guessing you are mixing in a bit of paint with the epoxy to get the clear effect, but I'd like to confirm before I trash a bait trying to figure it out.
Eastman03
Posted 4/16/2019 3:08 PM (#935676 - in reply to #933994)

I use transparent paints, I have some from Aztek and createx. I'm curious to hear if anyone uses anything else. It does seem to cover the foil a bit when first applied. When I apply epoxy over the baits, it seems to bring back some shine. Pics don't even usually capture the flash.
Gringo Loco
Posted 4/16/2019 8:37 PM (#935702 - in reply to #935676)

Try using transparent lacquers, they really are fairly transparent and don't hide the foil as fast as transparent acrylics when overshot. I use Alclad II transparent lacquers when I want something transparent over bright foils. You will need to clean your airbrush with lacquer thinner. You can coat lacquers with a clear acrylic gloss and then finish with epoxy. If you don't use the clear acrylic gloss overcoat the epoxy can sometimes react with the lacquer and leave a mess. I know, I found out the hard way.
1VW
Posted 4/17/2019 3:37 PM (#935746 - in reply to #933994)

I really like to use acrylic transparent stained glass paint. That's what was used for the gold & black pattern mentioned. Transparent brown over silver foil. The absolute best was Delta Permenamel Transparent Glass Paint but I think that's been discontinued. The Decoart Glass Stain (water clean up acrylic) works really well too once thinned with water or reducer (sometimes I add just a touch of isopropyl alcohol as well). These paints are actually transparent enough that I sometimes have to add a drop or two of Createx transparent or opaque to reduce their transparency in order that I don't end up needing to put on so many coats.
All Eyes
Posted 4/17/2019 10:26 PM (#935805 - in reply to #935657)

Brad P - 4/16/2019 9:32 AM

A question on the baits where you have a color or hue over the foil. Are you guys using a special paint for that or are you dying the epoxy to create the colored effect? Or is it a colored Foil? I'd like to attempt one of those gold/black patterns that 1VW posted on my way to a walleye look. I adhered a test piece of foil over a pizza box which I've been throwing different combos of paints on, but I'm finding that using transparent paints, I end up just covering the foil. I'm guessing you are mixing in a bit of paint with the epoxy to get the clear effect, but I'd like to confirm before I trash a bait trying to figure it out.

When it comes to transparent paints over foil, a little bit goes a long way. I like to turn my compressor down to 15 PSI or less and lightly mist it on rather than blasting away. It sounds to me like you are just applying too much paint.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)