Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Best trolling reels

Message Subject: Best trolling reels
Mudpuppy
Posted 3/9/2019 7:59 PM (#932745)
Subject: Best trolling reels

Need to replace a couple.. Which are the best ? Muskies only.

Mudpuppy
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 3/9/2019 8:35 PM (#932747 - in reply to #932745)
Subject: Re: Best trolling reels

Original Tekora's. Not the new ones. Okuma Coldwaters are okay too.
ToddM
Posted 3/9/2019 9:51 PM (#932750 - in reply to #932745)

If money isn't an option, tekotas. They are over 200. For a out half you can get the okuma Coldwater or diawa sealine both good reels. Convectors are good and even the magdas will work. Much of your decision depends on what you will be trolling with, lures, boards ect.
Nomadmusky
Posted 3/10/2019 8:46 AM (#932754 - in reply to #932747)

@ Pat Hoolihan; Why not the new Tekotas? I like the new low profile. What don't you like about them?
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 3/10/2019 11:25 AM (#932762 - in reply to #932754)

Nomadmusky - 3/10/2019 9:46 AM

@ Pat Hoolihan; Why not the new Tekotas? I like the new low profile. What don't you like about them?

The original was a low geared, the new low pro Tekotas are high geared. Not as much cranking power. I would be fine with a new Tekota, but given the choice, I would choose the discontinued model..
Mudpuppy
Posted 3/10/2019 4:01 PM (#932770 - in reply to #932745)
Subject: RE: Best trolling reels

Thanks for the help......
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 3/10/2019 7:10 PM (#932776 - in reply to #932762)

JakeStCroixSkis - 3/10/2019 11:25 AM

Nomadmusky - 3/10/2019 9:46 AM

The original was a low geared, the new low pro Tekotas are high geared. Not as much cranking power. I would be fine with a new Tekota, but given the choice, I would choose the discontinued model..

This
pklingen
Posted 3/11/2019 4:41 PM (#932825 - in reply to #932745)

i like the diawa sealines LC27's personally. price, price, and dependability!
supertrollr
Posted 3/11/2019 10:07 PM (#932841 - in reply to #932745)

tekota the older model. if you don,t want to pay too much sealine is solid and got a loud clicer
Jeff Hanson
Posted 3/12/2019 1:54 PM (#932878 - in reply to #932841)

I would get Tekota's. I just ordered 2 more.
I have tried most everything else. Was severally disappointed in the Okuma cold waters,
I used them 2 days and sold them.
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/12/2019 6:52 PM (#932899 - in reply to #932878)

I know a lot of you think the old Shimano 600LC is the nuts, but I switched from it to the 700LC and have never looked back.

The 600 is just a wide spool version of the smaller 300-500 series Shimano reels, and I found that the drag system did not hold up that well to long term HD muskie trolling. Although some may argue that they're bulky and you don't need that kind of line capacity ect., they also haven't experienced the extra power that such a large spool will provide.

The only downside I've found is that not as many of the 700 rod/reel combinations will fit in my rod locker, but this is a small price to pay for a superior muskie trolling reel.

kdawg
Posted 3/13/2019 8:27 AM (#932921 - in reply to #932899)

This winter, I did a ton of research on trolling reels because I was in the market as well. The trophy cat fisherman seemed to love these, Penn Fathoms. I wound up picking up a Warfare and a Squall size 20's for my trolling because the Fathoms were out of my price range. The Fathoms were recently redesigned and now have a massive 30lb. drag rating.Check out the u tube info on them, the cat guys claim they are bullet proof. kdawg
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 3/13/2019 11:35 AM (#932932 - in reply to #932921)

kdawg - 3/13/2019 8:27 AM

This winter, I did a ton of research on trolling reels because I was in the market as well. The trophy cat fisherman seemed to love these, Penn Fathoms. I wound up picking up a Warfare and a Squall size 20's for my trolling because the Fathoms were out of my price range. The Fathoms were recently redesigned and now have a massive 30lb. drag rating.Check out the u tube info on them, the cat guys claim they are bullet proof. kdawg

The Penn Fathom II is a stud. I would highly suggest that anyone looking at a new Tekota look at the Penn as well since they are in the same price league. Now that I can't get the original Tekota's anymore I'll likely go the Penn route.
Castalot
Posted 3/14/2019 7:16 AM (#933007 - in reply to #932745)

I like the Old Tekotas but wish the clicker was louder. You guys got me interested in the Penn but it appears to not have a line counter.
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 3/14/2019 8:42 AM (#933013 - in reply to #933007)

Castalot - 3/14/2019 7:16 AM

I like the Old Tekotas but wish the clicker was louder. You guys got me interested in the Penn but it appears to not have a line counter.

The Fathom II comes in a LC.
sukrchukr
Posted 3/14/2019 11:34 AM (#933049 - in reply to #932745)

Im interested in the Penn Fathom II LC as well... anyone have any experience with them??
muskyhunter47
Posted 3/14/2019 3:23 PM (#933071 - in reply to #933049)

I have 2 500s tekota and 2 600 tekota no problems just bought a new 600 tekota cant say how I like it till my spring sturgeon trip .
sworrall
Posted 3/14/2019 5:19 PM (#933076 - in reply to #932745)

Let me know how that goes, 47. I want to do more of that this year!
RyanJoz
Posted 3/14/2019 8:10 PM (#933095 - in reply to #932745)

I run penn squall 20lwlc reels. Be sure the levelwind is not against the front of the rod holder or you’ll strip the pawl. I haven’t had any problems other than that. Just be sure the reels are “pulled back” in the holders if you run folbes. Tension from forward motion will hold them in place.
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/17/2019 1:42 PM (#933329 - in reply to #932932)

Pat Hoolihan - 3/13/2019 11:35 AM
kdawg - 3/13/2019 8:27 AM This winter, I did a ton of research on trolling reels because I was in the market as well. The trophy cat fisherman seemed to love these, Penn Fathoms. I wound up picking up a Warfare and a Squall size 20's for my trolling because the Fathoms were out of my price range. The Fathoms were recently redesigned and now have a massive 30lb. drag rating.Check out the u tube info on them, the cat guys claim they are bullet proof. kdawg
The Penn Fathom II is a stud. I would highly suggest that anyone looking at a new Tekota look at the Penn as well since they are in the same price league. Now that I can't get the original Tekota's anymore I'll likely go the Penn route.

You can still get them no problem... used/new old stock on Ebay.

Pat Hoolihan
Posted 3/17/2019 7:37 PM (#933341 - in reply to #933329)

Jerry Newman - 3/17/2019 1:42 PM

kdawg - 3/13/2019 8:27 AM This winter, I did a ton of research on trolling reels because I was in the market as well. The trophy cat fisherman seemed to love these, Penn Fathoms. I wound up picking up a Warfare and a Squall size 20's for my trolling because the Fathoms were out of my price range. The Fathoms were recently redesigned and now have a massive 30lb. drag rating.Check out the u tube info on them, the cat guys claim they are bullet proof. kdawg

That's very true but not for the price I'm willing to spend on them. Used to be able to get them for $129 new.
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/18/2019 3:07 PM (#933397 - in reply to #933341)

Pat Hoolihan - 3/17/2019 7:37 PM

That's very true but not for the price I'm willing to spend on them. Used to be able to get them for $129 new.

Wow that's a super cheap price… I sold my beat up 600LCs on Ebay for almost that amount.

I've also done a ton of research on trolling reels… mostly on the water. Years ago I tried some different brands like the old Penn/Shimano but ended up using the Daiwa Sealine SG 47 LC for many years until I fished with a friend who was using the Shimano 600LC Tekotas.  I was sold…

What really impressed me was the superior cranking power that it had for bringing in boards when compared to the Sealine. I used the 600s for my board rods for about 10 years, but still preferred the Sealines for my down rods with carbon drags... really like the loud drag clickers.

The problem that developed with the 600 Shimano was with the drag, they simply didn't hold up well for my boat, and after replacing the drag washers a couple times they developed a narrow drag range. Out of frustration I decided to try a couple of the Shimano 700LCs for my outside board rods... it didn't take long to determine that these reels were superior in about every category for HD muskie trolling.

If you look at the size difference between the 600 vs 700 gears and drag washers there’s no doubt which reel is going perform better longer. I think a friend of mine summed it up best when he was cranking in a big board with one of the 700s. “They just laugh at the boards... it's like; come here".  

He ended up buying 4 new 700s…

Jeff Hanson
Posted 3/18/2019 5:11 PM (#933404 - in reply to #933007)

Castalot - 3/14/2019 7:16 AM

I just got 2 New Tekota 600LC in the mail today. They made the Clickers 2x as loud as the old ones were, was happy to see that. Can't wait to try them out.
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/19/2019 11:18 AM (#933460 - in reply to #933404)

That's great, at least Shimano listens because those clickers were a problem for us when it was windy and we had our hoods up. I think the right guy is testing the new 600s and I'll be interested to hear what you have to say. 

Other than the drag clickers I couldn't have been more impressed with the old model 600s for the first couple years, it was only after about seven or eight years that the narrow drag developed to the point of it becoming a real issue. If you don't troll every day and need something that fits in your boat or rod lockers I’d think that these low profiles are going to work just fine.

Where I decided to try the 700s was after fishing with a friend for salmon because the size concerned me. I found out just how much better they performed over-all and the larger size was actually a nonissue while in use... it's not like you're casting with them.

I realize that the 700s are not mainstream muskie, but if you troll with large lures, or especially with large in line boards they are worth consideration.  

kdawg
Posted 3/20/2019 8:12 AM (#933519 - in reply to #933460)

Jerry, just wondering what you did not like about the Penn? Kdawg
RyanJoz
Posted 3/20/2019 12:41 PM (#933539 - in reply to #932745)

Jerry, did you just replace the fiber drag washers or the metal spring ( ) washers that also help the drag? I’ve seen a lot of the spring washers or Belleville washers lose their ability to keep tension and just go flat over the years. You might try replacing them and I bet your drag responds well to them.
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/21/2019 3:01 PM (#933602 - in reply to #933539)

Nice 1 Ryan, I was only replacing the Carbontex drag washers so you hit the nail on the head... bet those washers were flat as pancakes. I've already sold all of my 600s, but still think this is a good discussion to have with someone of similar experience. 

What contributed to my reels developing that narrow drag range so quickly was our standard procedure of almost locking down the drag every time to retrieve the in-line boards. We generally scrub the edges, and at times it's a continual process of going from one rod to the next. When you multiply how many times we would smash those drag washers down everyday, it's a wonder the drags worked at all after a few months.

When I stepped up in class to the Shimano 700, a very unexpected thing happened... we didn't have to tighten the drag to retrieve the boards much, and even when we did (rough water), all that was needed was just a slight increase in drag pressure to get the job done.

I can't express how much of a revelation this was because constantly resetting the drags was not only a big PIA, forgetting to set the drag back to the correct setting cost us more fish than I care to think about. For people that don't troll much this might not mean much, but setting the drags once in the morning and then focusing on other things is sooo awesome.

Prior to using the 700s, I didn't really consider drag washer size as being that important… not so fast Kowalski. When you look at the much larger size of the drag washers of the 700s it was easy to understand why there was no need to tighten the drag every time like we had to do with the 600s and Sealines.

I don't want people to think that I'm bashing the 600s, not at all... they are still really good reels. However, Shimano uses the same size gears and drag washers for the 300/500/600 series reels, and in my humble opinion the drag system is on the light side for long term HD trolling. I think Ryan's solution is a great fix for any reel that get over worked and if I still had my 600s I would be all over it. 

Re Penn:

Although I have literally logged thousands of hours trolling with the Sealine and Tekota, it's been about 20 years since I touched a Penn so I'm definitely not in a position to comment on those reels, perhaps somebody else currently using them can chime in. 

Mudpuppy
Posted 3/24/2019 4:46 PM (#933747 - in reply to #933602)

Got a couple of tekotas. tHANKS FOR THE OPIONS AND HELP. Much appreciated.

Mudpuppy
Jerry Newman
Posted 3/25/2019 10:27 AM (#933764 - in reply to #933341)

Pat Hoolihan - 3/17/2019 7:37 PM

Here's a couple of 600s that look like they were only used for light duty... only some minor rod locker rash. 

2-Shimano Tekota 600LC Excellent Condition As Seen In Pictures W 30 Lb Powerpro | eBay

Martin79
Posted 3/25/2019 11:10 AM (#933766 - in reply to #932745)

I did guide trip on Green Bay last fall. He was using the penn squalls. As much as those are abused with no problems has sold me on em. I’ve been using sealines for 15 years and I’ve had it with those line counters. And I lost my biggest trolling fish because the plastic line guide insert decided to pop out when a 50 plus was almost in the net and instantly cut my 80lb power pro off. I was gonna go tekota but after reading this post on the new ones , squall it is. And crazy d in Eau Claire has some brand new older tekotas still. I think there 600,s. I also called penn today and asked about the warfare vs squall. He said squall has tougher gears. I also tried the cheaper okuma magnas last year and pike all broke them before I even caught a musky. They were big pike but just from rippin alittle drag broke em. I’m trying the squall 30 I guess.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)