Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Spillway Fishing Rig

Message Subject: Spillway Fishing Rig
Fallschirmjaeger
Posted 2/15/2019 6:07 AM (#930846)
Subject: Spillway Fishing Rig

I live in a state where musky fishing is legal year round. In the winter, guys will fish for musky in outflows/spillways from lakes that flow into the river. These spillways typically hold decent fish as well as a lot of baitfish/feed for bigger predators. I've seen other fishermen fishing off a 'wall' (a side of the spill where you can fish from a railing area) with suckers on quick strike rigs. Whenever I've tried it, I just can seem to keep the suckers in the strike zone or even under the surface due to the fast currents. Other than putting a cannonball on the line, does anyone fish these types of spillways and do you have a rig that works for keeping the sucker down in the strike area and off the surface?
25homes
Posted 2/15/2019 8:39 AM (#930858 - in reply to #930846)
Subject: Re: Spillway Fishing Rig

That's what you are gonna have to do is put some weight on it by the sucker to keep it down. I would cast the area with glide baits dive and rise baits and big rubber too
Fallschirmjaeger
Posted 2/15/2019 9:58 AM (#930872 - in reply to #930846)

Thanks brother...

Would you put the weight above the sucker and give it some leader to swim around? Or would you build a sort of drop shot rig with a "T" in the middle and a leader run off perpendicularly to attach the sucker to?
wallygator
Posted 2/17/2019 12:59 PM (#930993 - in reply to #930846)

Sounds like you need a Wolf river rig . Put a lighter line down to the sinker and 2 oz of lead. That way when you get a hit the weight line will snap and you can fight the fish.
25homes
Posted 2/22/2019 7:56 AM (#931471 - in reply to #930872)

Fallschirmjaeger - 2/15/2019 9:58 AM

Thanks brother...

Would you put the weight above the sucker and give it some leader to swim around? Or would you build a sort of drop shot rig with a "T" in the middle and a leader run off perpendicularly to attach the sucker to?

You could really do it either way and have success I would think...but def give the sucker so lead to swim freely
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)