Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> First Post - Leaders

Message Subject: First Post - Leaders
Fallschirmjaeger
Posted 2/13/2019 4:39 PM (#930751)
Subject: First Post - Leaders

Hey guys,

This is my first post. I'll admit I'm a musky amateur. I started chasing musky a bit more seriously last year, but aside from a few follows and bait swipes, I have yet to stick the hooks in one. I live in PA and mostly fish the Allegheny and the lakes in the adjacent area. I've fished northerns for years and last year I just decided to buy the correct gear and start to put in the time for a musky.

Anyways, for my first post, I wanted to put up some pictures of my self-made leaders and invite any criticism and advice from any seasoned hunters. The first picture is a leader I made myself with 130 lb fluoro. The second leader is made by a claimed musky guide that I purchased off eBay. Thoughts?

I should note, I had a Top Raider snagged last summer and one of the eBay "guide" leaders snapped (the fluoro pulled through the crimp) when trying to retrieve it.
danmuskyman
Posted 2/13/2019 5:58 PM (#930754 - in reply to #930751)
Subject: Re: First Post - Leaders

I would get yourself some stayloc snaps instead of the ones your using. I use size 5 for almost everything. The crimps are fine if your using the correct size double barrel crimp and a quality swagging tool, but I tie a nail knot in mine then crimp the tag ends for safe measure. Good luck, you’ll save a lot of money-making your own leaders.
Ciscokid82
Posted 2/13/2019 7:49 PM (#930755 - in reply to #930751)

Your leader looks good, exactly the way I make mine. You flared the tag end of the fluorocarbon which is a good idea I think although I haven’t had an issue with “pull through”. On the other end I use ball bearings for bucktails and solid rings or crane swivels for other non-rotating lures. I use a palomar knot to connect and have never had a slip. There are variations that are stronger but probably stronger than your line itself and are more difficult to tie with cold hands.
ToddM
Posted 2/13/2019 11:21 PM (#930764 - in reply to #930751)

Yep, make your own, you are doing it right. I do prefer the stayloc snap.
Junkman
Posted 2/14/2019 7:02 AM (#930766 - in reply to #930751)

I would never walk around with a belt and suspenders, but I like a tied knot with a crimp for backup. I’d also ditch those snaps, they will break your heart sooner or later.
Posted 2/14/2019 7:24 AM (#930771 - in reply to #930766)

Stay loc is better, but I have caught fish on those snaps several times without an issue.
Fallschirmjaeger
Posted 2/14/2019 9:58 AM (#930784 - in reply to #930751)

Thanks guys...I'll throw in an order for some staylocs
NPike
Posted 2/14/2019 2:41 PM (#930815 - in reply to #930784)

I get mine from Sambo, never had a problem with the Coastlock snaps. I beleive their American made as well.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Sampo-Swivels-Coastlock-Snap-Swivels...
Muskiemetal
Posted 2/14/2019 5:58 PM (#930829 - in reply to #930751)

That second crimp is wayyyyy wrong. That's a failure waiting to happen. Top is better. Staylocs are the route to go, but do change them out after some use, they have been known to break.

Tips.

http://leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/crimp_techniques.html
true tiger tamer
Posted 2/15/2019 11:49 AM (#930883 - in reply to #930751)

Your leader looks great except the snap, much better choices available, but a great first try. Best of luck on your muskie fishing, although you would be better off quitting now before you catch the disease.
Jerry Newman
Posted 2/16/2019 11:35 AM (#930951 - in reply to #930883)

Leader looks good (except it's not wire), agree that those snaps are bad news. Back in the day we had epic fail problems across the board with that style, as well as the old Cross Lock snaps.

Although the Sampo snaps held up well we had a couple of issues with them opening up after hooking a fish, and suspected it was due the muskie (being the headhunters that they are) hitting the snap just right and causing it to inadvertently open up. I solved this problem by just copying the Sambo snap in my basement, but with a much longer tag end. While I was at it I also went with a heavier .043/360lb bronze wire, one thing with using this heavy of wire is that now I only need to change them out after most of the bronze wire color wears off, or when they get damaged in the net. 

Otherwise, I have used the Stay locs in other people's boats and they have done the job, but because of the smaller wire gauge I change them out at the first sign of wear. Once, while changing one out toward the end of a trip my fishing partner wondered what happened to all of his replacement snaps. I told him I was using them right along and when he kind of made a doubtful face like I was replacing them to quickly, I just volunteered to pay for them.

When you think about what that snap costs, versus what it is actually doing and responsible for...

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(homemade snap.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Sambo.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments homemade snap.jpg (4KB - 403 downloads)
Attachments Sambo.png (74KB - 414 downloads)
NPike
Posted 2/18/2019 6:10 PM (#931065 - in reply to #930951)

Jerry Newman - 2/16/2019 12:35 PM

Leader looks good (except it's not wire), agree that those snaps are bad news. Back in the day we had epic fail problems across the board with that style, as well as the old Cross Lock snaps.

Although the Sampo snaps held up well we had a couple of issues with them opening up after hooking a fish, and suspected it was due the muskie (being the headhunters that they are) hitting the snap just right and causing it to inadvertently open up. I solved this problem by just copying the Sambo snap in my basement, but with a much longer tag end. While I was at it I also went with a heavier .043/360lb bronze wire, one thing with using this heavy of wire is that now I only need to change them out after most of the bronze wire color wears off, or when they get damaged in the net. 

Otherwise, I have used the Stay locs in other people's boats and they have done the job, but because of the smaller wire gauge I change them out at the first sign of wear. Once, while changing one out toward the end of a trip my fishing partner wondered what happened to all of his replacement snaps. I told him I was using them right along and when he kind of made a doubtful face like I was replacing them to quickly, I just volunteered to pay for them.

When you think about what that snap costs, versus what it is actually doing and responsible for...

Nice ho,e made snap. I never have had one open, and since I tie to them direct (no need for a crimp) I found them much easier to tie to then the rest when using 80 to 100# fluorocarbon.
7ovr50
Posted 2/22/2019 5:20 AM (#931458 - in reply to #930751)

If you never want to worry about a snap substitute a split ring for it. A split ring is a "fail safe" it is the most secure link available. Your leader looks good. Basically the same way I do mine. I've never had a pull through in 20 years. Just make sure you change the leader if you feel any Knicks on it as you run your fingers down it. And yes ,if you like snaps ,change to a stay lock snaps. Good Luck
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)