Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Deals on Sonar

Message Subject: Deals on Sonar
fatturtle011
Posted 2/9/2019 4:35 PM (#930415)
Subject: Deals on Sonar

Looks like the Garmin 73sv and the Hummingbird Helix 7 can be had for 5 bills or so. About the same features, SO WHICH ONE ???
patcampbell
Posted 2/10/2019 8:38 AM (#930447 - in reply to #930415)
Subject: Re: Deals on Sonar

I made the move to Garmin. 93sv+ w/CV52HW ducer $600 from Cabela.
73sv+ w/CV52HW ducer $660 from GPS store. These come with LakeVÜ US maps loaded. These are touchscreen heads.
I'll network the heads using one CV52 ducer for both. 93 on console, 73 at bow.
I just could not see spending $1500 for the 9 Helix w/mega and only having one head in the boat.
Money is a consideration for me. This Garmin move is replacing a HB 688 DI.

edit to note that both 93 & 73 have the CV52 ducer. CV52 ducer is a blended DI (what Garmin calls ClearVÜ) using a portion of the SI elements beams to create the DI. The GT52 ducer has a dedicated DI element for the DI. Reason Garmin did the blended DI was a lawsuit where Navico sued because Garmin did not license with Navico to use dedicated DI element in ducer. I've read the history of the suit, pros for the dedicated DI element vs blended DI produced using the SI element beams and so forth. My understanding is that the blended DI for typical inland waters where depth is 50' or less is fine. I'm rarely in water over 50'. It's the SI & mapping I really wanted.

Wish I had waited to buy the 73 that Cabelas has for $500. Would have saved me $160. Or had bought 2 93 units.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)