Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Transducer mounting with"stern pad jumbo"

Reply New post
Message Subject: Transducer mounting with"stern pad jumbo"
3lksmusky
Posted 2/6/2019 8:07 PM (#930217)
Subject: Transducer mounting with"stern pad jumbo"

I have an older Ranger 681VS that I have not had to drill any holes into below the water line. I am looking to install a Garmin echomap 93SV onto it this spring. Does anyone have any experience using the VHB mounted jumbo stern pad. According to its claims, it will be strong enough to hold the 3D scan transducer. Before I order one, i was hoping to get some feedback. It scares me to think that the transducer is being held on with adhesive tape, but it claims to be safe. Thanks
3lksmusky
Posted 2/10/2019 10:13 AM (#930451 - in reply to #930217)
Subject: RE: Transducer mounting with"stern pad jumbo"

It seems as though no one has used this item, it looks like a good idea. It is a high density plastic pad that is mounted on the stern of the boat with adhesive, not screws. After an 18 hour curing time, you mechanically mount the transducer to that block, screwing into the block and not your boat. I am going to order one when the weather breaks here, and give it a test. I will let you know in the spring ( if it ever gets here ) how it works. Thanks Dave
RLSea
Posted 2/10/2019 5:25 PM (#930479 - in reply to #930217)
Subject: Re: Transducer mounting with"stern pad jumbo"

Similar product to Stern Saver but larger.

http://sternsaver.com
VMS
Posted 2/12/2019 9:04 AM (#930594 - in reply to #930217)
Subject: Re: Transducer mounting with"stern pad jumbo"

Hiya,

I think my only concern would be is whether or not the pad can form or mold to the contours of your boat. I am not familar with the 681, so if it has a nice and truly flat area you can mount it, you might be alright. If it cannot form to your transom (given your transom is not completely flat where you are mounting it), I'd be a touch hesitant to go that route.

If you have the ability to mount your transducer inside your hull, that is really a great option.... That all depends on the transducer type, though as well. If it has downscan or sidescan capabilities, then in-hull is not a good option.

I ran into this dilemma with my boat. Didn't want the transducer off the back as it already had multiple holes in the transom from the previous owner, so I epoxied a basic transducer in the hull, then mounted the side/downscan transducer under the setback on the boat, so it is protected by the motor as well as the boat itself, as it is not at the bottom of the boat. I did this because the side/down scan doesn't work at speed so it was a non-issue to have it out of the water as I am running down the lake. This was with humminbird electronics so all I needed was a y-cable for dual transducers. I'm not sure all products out there have that option, though..

Steve

Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)