Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Navigation on Day Lake, Ashland County Wisconsin

Message Subject: Navigation on Day Lake, Ashland County Wisconsin
VMS
Posted 2/5/2019 7:14 AM (#930064)
Subject: Navigation on Day Lake, Ashland County Wisconsin

Hi Everyone,

Wife is looking to do a little camping here and there and Day lake up by Clam Lake, Wisconsin looks to be a decent campground to go to.

I've fished in the area before, but not specifically on Day Lake itself. I have heard, though that there can be some navigational hazards out there since Day is essentially a reservoir. Can a person get up on plane out there or is it hazardous enough that it is best not to? If some areas are bad, where specifically are they?

Plan on the camping trip is to try a few lakes in the area and Day is on that list...

Thanks

Edited by VMS 2/5/2019 7:15 AM
14ledo81
Posted 2/5/2019 7:52 AM (#930066 - in reply to #930064)
Subject: Re: Navigation on Day Lake, Ashland County Wisconsin

There are many hazards in Day. Some in the middle. It is small enough though, so not being on plane shouldn't be a problem.
kkrieg
Posted 2/5/2019 3:55 PM (#930125 - in reply to #930064)
Subject: RE: Navigation on Day Lake, Ashland County Wisconsin

have not been to Day lake for a few years but hazards pretty much everywhere, for the most part the lake is very shallow. It was a great place to take the kids musky fishing, always had action caught 8 one morning nothing bigger than 33". the campgrounds are big and quiet.
wallygator
Posted 2/6/2019 5:13 AM (#930155 - in reply to #930064)

watch out for the floating bogs they move around a lot... If I remember right it froze out about 5 years ago.
Nomadmusky
Posted 2/7/2019 4:47 PM (#930276 - in reply to #930064)

The navigation has gotten better, but always be aware of the wood in the water, there are areas where the wood is broken off right at the waterline and if there are no waves you will miss seeing them and they can be hazards to your hull and prop. The floating bogs are easier to see above the water, but the water is stained so you can't see the emerging bogs when they are only a foot or so below the surface and they can be most anywhere in the lake.

The campground is nice for the most part and you can occasionally run into a moose if you keep your eyes open.

Nomad

Edited by Nomadmusky 2/7/2019 4:54 PM
14ledo81
Posted 2/7/2019 8:16 PM (#930289 - in reply to #930064)

I think you mean elk....
Nomadmusky
Posted 2/8/2019 8:41 AM (#930306 - in reply to #930289)

Yes I do mean Elk. I was thinking of Moose lake down the road a bit from Day.
ToddM
Posted 2/8/2019 9:05 AM (#930311 - in reply to #930306)

Try driving in that area on a foggy night and see them along the road. One big animal, hit one of those and it's over.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)