Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Possible New World Record Pike!

Message Subject: Possible New World Record Pike!
Larry Ramsell
Posted 2/1/2019 11:49 AM (#929869)
Subject: Possible New World Record Pike!

Rather than revive my thread about big pike, I thought this one should stand on its own. I got the information from my good friend Jan Eggers, "The Pike Ferret" in Holland.

This pike was 55.12 inches long and weighed 55.78 pounds and the tail width was 13.78 inches and was caught in Bulgaria by Petar Filipov.

Information and photo's here: https://www.outdoorsfirst.com/world-record-pike-25-3-kg-and-140-cm-i...
jchiggins
Posted 2/1/2019 1:04 PM (#929888 - in reply to #929869)
Subject: Re: Possible New World Record Pike!

Wow. That's a big Jack!
talmooner
Posted 2/1/2019 1:37 PM (#929890 - in reply to #929869)

Holy Moly that is one big fish.

Congrats to the angler.

And, Thank You Mr. Ramsell for sharing.
nar160
Posted 2/1/2019 2:29 PM (#929892 - in reply to #929869)

Came out of a 12 acre lake!
North of 8
Posted 2/1/2019 3:55 PM (#929900 - in reply to #929869)

Incredible fish. I don't know that I have ever seen stats that included tail width, but that was interesting as well! Frankly, did not know northern pike got quite that large.
ToddC
Posted 2/1/2019 4:14 PM (#929902 - in reply to #929869)

Thanks for sharing Larry! A world class fish. Kudos to the sportsmen there who spent their own time & money stocking them so they could chase them and then release them back. Great story and a great fish!
Vilas15
Posted 2/1/2019 6:04 PM (#929905 - in reply to #929892)

nar160 - 2/1/2019 2:29 PM

Came out of a 12 acre lake!

If I were a poacher (mentioned in the article) I wouldn't think to target that spot, and it probably helps their limited stocking efforts have a larger impact than in a bigger lake. But at what point does the fish become a pet and you're just feeding it? I suppose if you don't know the fish lives there before catching it then I've got no problems with it. An amazing fish no matter where it came from!

Edited by Vilas15 2/1/2019 6:06 PM
true tiger tamer
Posted 2/2/2019 3:07 PM (#929934 - in reply to #929869)

Great catch and congratulations to the angler.
FlyPiker
Posted 2/3/2019 8:22 AM (#929947 - in reply to #929869)

It's incredible that a fish that big came ouf of such a small body of water. Thanks for sharing Larry, crazy cool fish.
Larry Ramsell
Posted 2/3/2019 9:26 AM (#929950 - in reply to #929869)

That is the second European Giant to come out of a very small body of water. In my big Pike thread, I had one from a very small pond in Germany that was netted and weighed 67 1/2-pounds! Larger than any known muskie ever captured!
NPike
Posted 2/3/2019 10:44 AM (#929956 - in reply to #929950)

Holy!!! Hard to believe a northern of that size and coming out of a pond is almost as unbelievable.
Fishen-ski's
Posted 2/3/2019 12:06 PM (#929960 - in reply to #929869)
Subject: RE: Possible New World Record Pike!

Kind of like a canned hunt if you ask me. Guy was
probably feeding the thing chickens for five years.
Don't see how a private pond could or should
count towards a world record. Pull that out of a large
public water & then I'm on board.
raftman
Posted 2/3/2019 12:20 PM (#929961 - in reply to #929960)
Subject: RE: Possible New World Record Pike!

Fishen-ski's - 2/3/2019 12:06 PM

Kind of like a canned hunt if you ask me. Guy was
probably feeding the thing chickens for five years.
Don't see how a private pond could or should
count towards a world record. Pull that out of a large
public water & then I'm on board.

Sounded more like a public water being privately stocked since their government doesn’t manage the resources like they are here. It’s also a “world” record so can’t really hold to musky forum winternet standards.
muskymartin67
Posted 2/3/2019 10:07 PM (#929997 - in reply to #929869)

Well I've been waiting for sometime to respond to this thread, since I was born in Bulgaria just wanted to see some of the feedbacks people would post and although mostly positive, it never seems to fail- someone will post a really far fetched accusation , same as all the bump board pic and big musky catches blah blah blah, you get what I'm talking about. Anyways I would like to mention that I am 45 and came to the states at 11 yrs of age I am a citizen a blue collar worker and have lived here in the states for 3/4 of my life. I would like to say that I have visited there since a couple times -most recent probably 12-13 years ago, however my mother travels there every year ,so I have a pretty good idea of what most people in Bulgaria are like, To say that someone would feed this fish chickens for 5 years in a country that is overtaken by poverty , and where most people make the equivalent of $300 a month, not per week is about as ridicolous a statement as it could get. I would like to think that the angler never even expected to catch anything like that period- it was most likely an accidental catch. Sure he might enjoy pike fishing it is challenging and a fun hobby, but he himself said he never got one over 10 kg previosly Which would be roughly 22 lbs. Most fishermen there don't even own boats, just shore fish and the poachers he speaks of are meat hunters trying to feed their families, yes wrong but what would you do if you were starving, to even think people there are trying to break world fishing records is the funnies thing I ever heard. But never fails anytime somebody catches a big fish all the naysayers come out of the woodwork- Nice fish and congrats to the angler
sworrall
Posted 2/3/2019 11:16 PM (#929999 - in reply to #929997)

muskymartin67 - 2/3/2019 10:07 PM

Well I've been waiting for sometime to respond to this thread, since I was born in Bulgaria just wanted to see some of the feedbacks people would post and although mostly positive, it never seems to fail- someone will post a really far fetched accusation , same as all the bump board pic and big musky catches blah blah blah, you get what I'm talking about. Anyways I would like to mention that I am 45 and came to the states at 11 yrs of age I am a citizen a blue collar worker and have lived here in the states for 3/4 of my life. I would like to say that I have visited there since a couple times -most recent probably 12-13 years ago, however my mother travels there every year ,so I have a pretty good idea of what most people in Bulgaria are like, To say that someone would feed this fish chickens for 5 years in a country that is overtaken by poverty , and where most people make the equivalent of $300 a month, not per week is about as ridicolous a statement as it could get. I would like to think that the angler never even expected to catch anything like that period- it was most likely an accidental catch. Sure he might enjoy pike fishing it is challenging and a fun hobby, but he himself said he never got one over 10 kg previosly Which would be roughly 22 lbs. Most fishermen there don't even own boats, just shore fish and the poachers he speaks of are meat hunters trying to feed their families, yes wrong but what would you do if you were starving, to even think people there are trying to break world fishing records is the funnies thing I ever heard. But never fails anytime somebody catches a big fish all the naysayers come out of the woodwork- Nice fish and congrats to the angler

THIS! It's taken us nearly 20 years to develop the overall tone of this community, but it is inevitable, so we'll keep working on it.
jaultman
Posted 2/4/2019 2:56 PM (#930024 - in reply to #929869)

Here's the interview. http://hlehleblog.pl/2019/01/23/world-record-pike-25-3-kg-and-140-c...

Sounds like the lake wasn't one that they were stocking, rather one that had recently been considered "fished out" or something. His fishing pals noted that there seemed to be only old carp left in the last few years. He wondered if it had a super predator keeping the fish populations super low.

and he was right
Vilas15
Posted 2/4/2019 4:50 PM (#930030 - in reply to #930024)

jaultman - 2/4/2019 2:56 PM

Here's the interview. http://hlehleblog.pl/2019/01/23/world-record-pike-25-3-kg-and-140-c...

Sounds like the lake wasn't one that they were stocking, rather one that had recently been considered "fished out" or something. His fishing pals noted that there seemed to be only old carp left in the last few years. He wondered if it had a super predator keeping the fish populations super low.

and he was right

That's crazy. Taking "low-density but with trophy potential" water to the extreme.
hawkeye9
Posted 2/9/2019 9:20 AM (#930380 - in reply to #929869)

Incredible fish! Congrats to the angler.
jerken jimi
Posted 2/10/2019 2:01 PM (#930463 - in reply to #929997)

muskymartin67 - 2/3/2019 10:07 PM

The Norm - Bashing - Negativity - Never fail's , I always read a post , Then I say YEP Here we GO... Whatever ... Cool Post Thank's !

ToddM
Posted 2/10/2019 2:10 PM (#930464 - in reply to #929869)

Interesting when you think about it. If this fish came from a lake that was considered fished out but actually ate out by a super predator, was this small lake in balance with this fish or was there going to be an eventual forage demise for this big pike?

Edited by ToddM 2/10/2019 2:11 PM
Pike Master
Posted 2/11/2019 7:51 AM (#930490 - in reply to #929869)

Now that is a GIANT!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)