Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Help with northern Ontario lodge and lake suggestion

Message Subject: Help with northern Ontario lodge and lake suggestion
Landry
Posted 1/19/2019 12:16 PM (#928741)
Subject: Help with northern Ontario lodge and lake suggestion

We are planning a trip to northern Ontario. Want a spot where we can cast - don’t wanna njoy trolling. Where would you recommend.
I live in southwester Ontario and fish Kawarthas and St Clair. Looking for a lake casting to mid 40’s and above fish.
- LOTW(and what area/lodge)
- Eagle(and what area/lodge)
- other lake?
Thanks,
Landry
mikie
Posted 1/19/2019 1:10 PM (#928743 - in reply to #928741)
Subject: Re: Help with northern Ontario lodge and lake suggestion

https://visitsunsetcountry.com/

I got in touch with these folks and got lots of information in the mail and e-mail. m
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/20/2019 10:34 AM (#928798 - in reply to #928743)

LOTW, Sab Bay and west.
true tiger tamer
Posted 1/20/2019 1:00 PM (#928811 - in reply to #928741)

Rowan, has a lot of big but tough to catch muskies.
WiscoMusky
Posted 1/20/2019 5:20 PM (#928825 - in reply to #928741)

Hey Landry, I would highly suggest doing some research on Century Lodge, in Osborne Bay of Eagle Lake. Century lodge is the most secluded camp on all of Eagle Lake, and the fishing for all species is fantastic. The musky fishing is particularly special, as you do not need to travel far to find fish at any time of the year. In fact one of my favorite musky spots is only about two hundred yards from the docks! This section of Eagle is also a bit more ‘protected’ than some other parts of the lake, making fishing in any weather conditions possible. It Is just a beautiful destination!

Our group has fished out of a few lodges on Eagle Lake, from the north end near vermillion bay, down to the southern end of the lake. But we continue to return to Century Lodge for the last 8 years, because of the excellent and consistent musky fishing year after year (our best week was 34 musky between 4 guys!) , and the hospitality of the hardworking, family owned Lodge. The Tyran family and their staff genuinely care about all of their guests, you will notice that right away.

If you are interested in the quntissential NW Ontario fishing experience, you should check out Century Lodge. I promise you will be glad you did!

Edited by WiscoMusky 1/20/2019 5:24 PM
Billsmuskyadventures
Posted 1/20/2019 5:36 PM (#928827 - in reply to #928741)

I agree Century lodge Eagle Lake been going there for over 26 years never been disappointed. A lot of 40-45" fish and great top water action. My largest caught there is a 51.5" but lost bigger fish

Edited by Billsmuskyadventures 1/20/2019 5:38 PM
Theripper
Posted 1/21/2019 2:30 PM (#928880 - in reply to #928741)

Lac Suel,give Linda Rice a call at Moosehorn lodge,I guided up there and seen a 60".Tons of giant Skis to be had.
NPike
Posted 1/21/2019 3:06 PM (#928883 - in reply to #928880)

Just curios, it's been a few years. Don't the Kawartha's still have lots of nice ski's? They used to.
Landry
Posted 1/21/2019 5:11 PM (#928892 - in reply to #928883)

Yes. Great numbers and casting lakes
Landry
Posted 1/22/2019 3:13 PM (#928975 - in reply to #928741)

I think we have narrowed it to Sandys Blackhawk or Century now.
Troyz.
Posted 1/22/2019 5:11 PM (#928984 - in reply to #928975)

I would recommedend AML on Eagle a first class resort with shot at some true a special fish. Won't find place with better service and cater to the musky fisherman and pletny of variety. Walsh Bay store resort on LOW.

Troy
Slamr
Posted 1/22/2019 8:10 PM (#928998 - in reply to #928741)

I'm with TroyZ on the vote for AML.

Sounds like you're trying some place totally new and different. AML is more and more catering for people in this exact situation. From the Saturday and Wednesday night seminars where you'll hear exactly what is going on, how to approach muskies or whatever species you're targeting, to some of the best guides in NW Ontario.

My suggestion: come in on a Friday, get a guide on Saturday (everyone else is LEAVING or just getting there) and tell them JUST TO bring you to spots (uh, have them drive your boat) and teach you to fish these and the lake as a whole. I've done it, even after being out there a number of times, these dates expand the learning curve exponentially. Then get another guide on Wed or Thursday if you're not hitting the big fish, or if you need some action, ask to use one of the their boats at a remote lake!

Before you book, check'em out again at http://www.andymyerslodge.com or PM me directly and I'll give you the straight dealio.
jackpotjohnny48
Posted 1/23/2019 1:05 AM (#929010 - in reply to #928741)
Subject: RE: Help with northern Ontario lodge and lake suggestion

I've fished about 10 different musky lakes in Canada. If I was just limiting it to casting, I would rank them as follows:

1. Rowan
2. Century Lodge on Osbourne Bay.

Most of my musky fishing these days is done on Trout waters, where I tend to do more trolling, and I tend to fish more at night. With respect to trout waters, Rowan is a bit weird in that you can still do really well from a casting perspective, and there's a lot more deep, beautiful cabbage (at least in the Southeast section of Brooks Bay and Fog Lake) than you would typically expect on trout water.

But Century Lodge (the Osbourne and Niven Bay area) is really spectacular as well. I've only fished it one time (in 2008), but we had action from 96 muskies in our 10 days of fishing, under less than ideal weather conditions (and still managed to catch 8 or 9). All the fish on Osbourne Bay were seen or caught using casting presentations, mostly bucktails, topwater, spinnerbaits, and Suicks.

There are a lot of beautiful cabbage beds, and lots of nice reefs to fish on Osbourne Bay (and Niven Bay). This southern portion of Eagle is the shallow, dark water portion, and the topwater bite is really good. Also, it has a relatively remote feel to it, since Century Lodge is really the only sign of civilization in either Osbourne or Niven Bay. (There are quite a few unpressured fish there).

Osbourne is unique in that, due to the dark water, the fishing can still be quite good during daylight hours. This is a very important consideration on Eagle, since night fishing is prohibited on that lake. That's why if I were to fish Eagle, Osbourne would probably be the only place I would go (since the night fishing restriction won't hurt you in the dark waters of Osbourne). And if I wanted to fish deep, clear, trout water, I would go to a place that allows night fishing. So that's why Osbourne would be my only choice if I were going to Eagle (and it is a super choice, in my opinion).

Good luck on whatever you decide,

"Jackpot" John Schroeder

Landry
Posted 1/23/2019 4:36 PM (#929088 - in reply to #928741)

Well we have now settled on Tamarack Island Lodge on LOTW but have not entirely ruled out Witch Bay.
Both seem fairly secluded but Witch Bay more so. Tamarack seems like it may have better numbers and Witch has stellar bass and walleye.
Witch Bay is pricey. Tamarack has a reasonable housekeeping package.
Any thoughts on these two spots boys???
Musky Brian
Posted 1/23/2019 7:03 PM (#929093 - in reply to #929088)

Tamarack is a substantially better location, imo
ArtieT
Posted 1/25/2019 7:38 PM (#929291 - in reply to #928741)

Witch bay has community bath houses. A big turnoff for me. You also have to make long boat rides to get to the best musky waters. Plus the drive into the lodge is on a long winding, gravel road. It’s a pain. I’ve also stayed at century two years back. It is a unique area, but we didn’t contact many “big” fish. That was in mid June. I would suggest the central part of eagle lake. Most of the guides from aml were boating to this part of the lake. I followed suit and bagged a 51 in that area. This year we will be staying at Big Eagle lodge for the first time. It’s within a few miles to all the great spot I found last year. Good luck in your search.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)