Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> High & Fishtrap Lakes in Vilas County, WI

Message Subject: High & Fishtrap Lakes in Vilas County, WI
dward
Posted 1/14/2019 1:28 AM (#928304)
Subject: High & Fishtrap Lakes in Vilas County, WI

I’m looking for some info on these lakes as I’ve never been on them. I'm not looking for any fishing information... just info on the lake itself- launch, navigation, hazards, access with an 18' Skeeter with full windsheild, Etc. I have an opportunity to rent a home on Fishtrap this summer but before I commit, I want to understand a few things. I’m sure there are many on this forum who are familiar with this body of water.... Questions below....

Main question- I have an 18’ skeeter with a full windshield, will I have any problems navigating between high and fishtrap? Believe there is a culvert I would go thru under a road?

- if on Fishtrap where do I launch? Looks like a site on high lake off hwy B that I’m familiar with, but also might be a spot on the manitowish river too that is closer? Is that accurate?

- are water levels usually decent in June? Ever too high to use culvert?

- are there a lot of hazards on these lakes. Doesn’t appear so based on limited info I could find

- how far down the river can I get with my boat to the south? Looks like i can get all the way down the launch fairly easily? Is it worth traveling and fishing?

- any other general info on the lake is also appreciated.

If you prefer, PM me is fine too. Appreciate any info I can get before deciding on the rental. Thanks in advance

Edited by dward 1/15/2019 10:54 PM
WiscoMusky
Posted 1/21/2019 6:58 PM (#928898 - in reply to #928304)
Subject: Re: High & Fishtrap Lakes in Vilas County, WI

You can make it between the two, but I probably would risk it with fiberglass. If there is any wind, you will bang around a bit
ToddM
Posted 1/21/2019 7:29 PM (#928901 - in reply to #928304)

We got an 1850 crestliner through the culvert without issue. One thing do not have your stern light up you will break it off. We also launched the boat at the launch next to wittig's.
dward
Posted 1/21/2019 8:02 PM (#928904 - in reply to #928901)

Thanks for info Todd.... i'm feeling a bit more comfortable with some info i have heard so far... also noted- will make sure not to snap off any lights... ha....
fishhawk50
Posted 1/21/2019 8:41 PM (#928908 - in reply to #928304)

once in a while there is a beaver dam built up on the high lake side of culvert.. no way you get thru that with anything but a kayak or canoe. someone usually gets it busted up though.
ToddM
Posted 1/21/2019 9:20 PM (#928910 - in reply to #928908)

You can also go down the river a bit, done that. It's mostly shallow, good for sight seeing and small Pike. I heard of a 9ft hole but if you are fishing serious, it's a waste of time.
Mark Hoerich
Posted 1/22/2019 5:57 AM (#928918 - in reply to #928901)

ToddM - 1/21/2019 7:29 PM

We got an 1850 crestliner through the culvert without issue. One thing do not have your stern light up you will break it off. We also launched the boat at the launch next to wittig's.

Trim the motor all the way up and hand your boat through the culvert.
Don't try to motor through it. It's pretty tight. You will need at least 2 guys for this.
Especially trying to go from the Fishtrap side, into High.
Wind can also factor into trying it.
sukrchukr
Posted 1/22/2019 8:43 AM (#928932 - in reply to #928304)

One thing no one has mentioned is the amount of pressure these lakes receive. Its ALOT!!
Musky Brian
Posted 1/22/2019 9:19 AM (#928935 - in reply to #928932)

sukrchukr - 1/22/2019 8:43 AM

One thing no one has mentioned is the amount of pressure these lakes receive. Its ALOT!!

These lakes get talked up a lot. I went out there once and couldn’t believe how full the lot was. It was a bit of a pain to get through that creek too from what I recall. Got back past dark and was greeted with a flat tire on the trailer. Sweet.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)