Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> How not to launch your boat.

Reply New post
Message Subject: How not to launch your boat.
OH Musky
Posted 1/13/2019 10:07 AM (#928245)
Subject: How not to launch your boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H4v-z31oh0

That's a bad day...
ToddM
Posted 1/13/2019 10:36 AM (#928249 - in reply to #928245)
Subject: RE: How not to launch your boat.

They did this not once but twice! They were not happy with each other!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(FB_IMG_1547397308709.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments FB_IMG_1547397308709.jpg (20KB - 342 downloads)
ToddC
Posted 1/13/2019 1:23 PM (#928261 - in reply to #928245)
Subject: Re: How not to launch your boat.

About 15 years ago my son and I were taking our boat out at the TFF and there was an older gent that was putting in. A couple young kids were putting in as well and asked him if he wanted some help. He cussed those kids up and down saying he didn’t need their help. They seemed like very nice polite kids that just wanted to help out but he just ripped into them.

The guy unsnapped his strap and started backing down the ramp and his 16 foot Lund rolls off the trailer and onto the ramp a good 25 feet from the water. Entire boat sitting on concrete. Now he needs help so the kids that he just cussed out and me and my son lift the boat back on the trailer and get it pushed and winched back on as the old guy. Talk about eating some crow. Kudos to the kids coming over to help and hopefully this old dude learned a lesson.
Muskie Gal
Posted 1/13/2019 3:37 PM (#928270 - in reply to #928261)

The guy was bragging about getting it on camera. He's going to get some bad karma
madmurph
Posted 1/13/2019 3:40 PM (#928271 - in reply to #928245)

What, no comments yet about them being bass guys?
OH Musky
Posted 1/13/2019 5:03 PM (#928284 - in reply to #928245)

Had to help put a nice glass boat back on the trailer one dark morning on Okeechobee. He had just "greased" his runners and said "this never happened before"...yup.
Chemi
Posted 1/14/2019 10:17 AM (#928327 - in reply to #928245)

One meets the most accomplished idiots at a boat launch... slapstick comedy at its best.

Like the guy who was launching his 35' cabin cruiser in a nearby 450 acre no-wake lake. (Why he wanted to put that big boat into a tiny, no-wake lake is a mystery.) His 90-lb. trophy wife was handed the boat's $1.95 1/4" polypropylene bow-line, and then he proceeded to back the boat into the water and jerk-stop it so the boat went flying off the trailer. Trophy wife was almost dragged off the dock before the guy could get the truck stopped and run back to help her. Her hands were all torn up from the cheap plastic rope... Boat went immediately back on the trailer, wifey b*tching up a storm.

Or the time the three teens in a speedboat who'd been a-h*les on the water all day came up to the dock just after I'd pulled out. They hadn't been skiing; they were all fully clothed. One jumps out to get the truck while the other two stay in the boat, which then backs a little ways away from the dock. Truck guy comes back a minute later and calls out to the boat, "You've got the keys; toss 'em to me!". Keys get tossed, truck comes back, only to find the boat (now without the motor running because the boat keys were together with the truck keys) had blown farther out into the lake where a key toss was no longer an option. Two wet teens swimming the boat laboriously back to the ramp really made my day.
NPike
Posted 1/14/2019 10:53 AM (#928329 - in reply to #928327)

The back-up quickly and suddenly hit the brack's is a good way to ruin your bunks. Seen them come flying off the trailer when folks did this. These issues continue to amaze me unfortunately.
The worse I saw was a big party boat launched out of the load side right ~ at noon (when lots of boats are pulling out). They then took off in their truck and came back an hour later. This created major issues with > a dozen boats waiting to load. The Frickin sheriff was these and just warned them not to do it again. This lake is good sized only has one launch and it's very busy.
I mean my heart goes out to the newbies that need a bit of extra time, and if I can help fine.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/14/2019 12:27 PM (#928332 - in reply to #928329)

So much for teaching the dog to drive.
esox911
Posted 1/16/2019 8:39 AM (#928498 - in reply to #928245)

I use to use my boat maybe 2-3 times a season---So backing up / loading technique was not the best... I now live where I use it weekly--so of course--with Practice I can now load and unload even by myself without Issue. There is a learning curve--- so just remember that when encountering a Novice--- they know they don't know what they are doing but are probably giving it all they Got to get out of others way.
IAJustin
Posted 1/17/2019 6:59 AM (#928617 - in reply to #928498)

Good reminder about keeping dogs in a vehicle... saw a somewhat similar situation where the dog had locked the doors with the vehicle running, think the ended up busting a window
fishhawk50
Posted 1/17/2019 7:15 AM (#928618 - in reply to #928245)

i ran out of gas in truck while loading boat back on trailer. one lane launch on oconomowoc lake. truck guage said just a little under 1/4 tank.. but not when you put truck on an incline. live and learn
North of 8
Posted 1/17/2019 8:23 AM (#928621 - in reply to #928618)

My favorite launch fail came at the launch on the lake where I live. I had gone there as a volunteer for the Clean Boat/ Clean Water program the state sponsors. The guy I was replacing came up to me immediately and I could tell he was ticked. A retired machine shop owner, he is a good guy, plain spoken. He told me the guy preparing to launch had sworn at him when he introduced himself and asked if he could ask some questions, said he didn't have time for that *****. Interesting thing was he had a sign on the cap of his truck advertising his musky guide service.
Guy proceeds to try and launch his boat. He had a nice Ranger, same color as his boat. He had his buddy in the boat, he was driving the truck. Well, it was a bit tricky. The area had experienced the worst drought the northern highlands of WI had ever had, and the concrete logs at the launch were not only exposed but the gravel around the ends was eroded meaning you could drop a wheel off and scrape your axle. The guy quickly proceeded to make the dog's breakfast out of his launch effort. He dropped the wheel off repeatedly and you could hear the axle and that fiber glass fender scrape. Then after losing his temper, he got the boat parallel with shore in about 2" of water. Still don't know how he did that. Knowing he was a jerk, I pulled out my old flip phone and pretended to be taking pictures. Unfortunately, that function had ceased when I cracked the lens deer hunting the fall before. But he didn't know that. That really peeed him off. Finally, after maybe 10 minutes he gave up and had his buddy launch the boat. It took a while but the buddy very slowly and carefully backed it straight down the logs and got it into the water. Buddy then parked the truck, met the boat at the dock and away they went. I stood on shore and waved goodbye to them. The "guide" gave me a one fingered wave. I just smiled, turned and pretended to take another picture of his truck. I bet he still is waiting for those photos to show up on social media.

When I went back to my truck, my wife who had stayed in the vehicle after hearing how the guy had sworn at the previous volunteer, shook her head and said "you do know some people carry guns, right?". Had not really thought of that and as angry and maybe drunk as the "guide" was, probably should have.
14ledo81
Posted 1/17/2019 9:23 AM (#928624 - in reply to #928621)

North of 8 - 1/17/2019 8:23 AM

My favorite launch fail came at the launch on the lake where I live. I had gone there as a volunteer for the Clean Boat/ Clean Water program the state sponsors. The guy I was replacing came up to me immediately and I could tell he was ticked. A retired machine shop owner, he is a good guy, plain spoken. He told me the guy preparing to launch had sworn at him when he introduced himself and asked if he could ask some questions, said he didn't have time for that *****. Interesting thing was he had a sign on the cap of his truck advertising his musky guide service.
Guy proceeds to try and launch his boat. He had a nice Ranger, same color as his boat. He had his buddy in the boat, he was driving the truck. Well, it was a bit tricky. The area had experienced the worst drought the northern highlands of WI had ever had, and the concrete logs at the launch were not only exposed but the gravel around the ends was eroded meaning you could drop a wheel off and scrape your axle. The guy quickly proceeded to make the dog's breakfast out of his launch effort. He dropped the wheel off repeatedly and you could hear the axle and that fiber glass fender scrape. Then after losing his temper, he got the boat parallel with shore in about 2" of water. Still don't know how he did that. Knowing he was a jerk, I pulled out my old flip phone and pretended to be taking pictures. Unfortunately, that function had ceased when I cracked the lens deer hunting the fall before. But he didn't know that. That really peeed him off. Finally, after maybe 10 minutes he gave up and had his buddy launch the boat. It took a while but the buddy very slowly and carefully backed it straight down the logs and got it into the water. Buddy then parked the truck, met the boat at the dock and away they went. I stood on shore and waved goodbye to them. The "guide" gave me a one fingered wave. I just smiled, turned and pretended to take another picture of his truck. I bet he still is waiting for those photos to show up on social media.

When I went back to my truck, my wife who had stayed in the vehicle after hearing how the guy had sworn at the previous volunteer, shook her head and said "you do know some people carry guns, right?". Had not really thought of that and as angry and maybe drunk as the "guide" was, probably should have.

Smart woman your wife.

We really don't know the state of mind of those strangers we come across.
North of 8
Posted 1/17/2019 11:23 AM (#928636 - in reply to #928624)

ledo, I agree. It bothered me that he was so insulting to the other volunteer and I decided to jerk his chain. I grew up at a time where, at most, that might result in a punch being thrown. Today, people pull out the heavy artillery for a lot less provocation. There was an exchange of gunfire on the freeway in the Milwaukee area, between two concealed carry holders, because one thought the other gave him a dirty look.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)