Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> New guy! Musky wisdom needed!

Message Subject: New guy! Musky wisdom needed!
Hghlndr85
Posted 1/11/2019 11:34 AM (#928098)
Subject: New guy! Musky wisdom needed!

Hey guys i am a new guy! Got some questions for everyone. I live in pa. And there are a few mid to large size lakes around me that have been stocked with tiger musky. I have seen pics and talked to a few guys that have caught some. I have fished these lakes about 12 times in past 2 months. I am fishing from a kayak until i get my boat up. I have done lots of reading about hunting out musky. I am using 80lb braid with 100lb fluro leader. I have been using 6" jerk bait. Phatom soft tail 6". Mini bull dawgs. I have had zero follows or bites. I have landed a few nice pickerel on the mini bull dawgs. I have tried both fishing heavy cover, near the breaks, also in the deeper basin areas of thr lake. Is there anything i can do or any input or tips to help try to hook one of these beauties?
25homes
Posted 1/11/2019 12:05 PM (#928101 - in reply to #928098)
Subject: Re: New guy! Musky wisdom needed!

First Welcome to the board. Your Handle is interesting did you go to McGuffey? What lakes are u speaking of? Might need up upsize your baits a little..maybe 7.5 inch phantom get reg bullldawg and a Mag Bulldawg. Can you fish any rivers near by?
wild
Posted 1/11/2019 12:14 PM (#928102 - in reply to #928098)
Subject: RE: New guy! Musky wisdom needed!

Welcome...Time on the water.... cast, cast, cast, cast, cast....and more casting....
vegas492
Posted 1/11/2019 12:43 PM (#928107 - in reply to #928098)

Find the bait...find the fish.
Also...try doing "something different". If there is some deeper water...see if you can find baitfish and vertical jig a bondy. If they haven't seen that out there, that could be a nice bite.
Hghlndr85
Posted 1/11/2019 1:37 PM (#928113 - in reply to #928098)

My handle has to do with my last name.macleod. i havent tried any of the rivers by me just 2 lakes i know that fish and boat stock. I have been using heavy perch colors on the one like as perch are probably a food staple in that lake. I have been sticking to the smaller sized bait as they are easier to cast from a kayak over the heavy big one. Typically this time of year are the musky more shallow or deep? Lake has alot of timber and wood cover in certain parts of the lake.
hawkeye9
Posted 1/11/2019 1:52 PM (#928115 - in reply to #928098)

Standby..you'll find some good help on those waters from someone I'll betcha. Welcome.
7ovr50
Posted 1/11/2019 4:30 PM (#928141 - in reply to #928098)

Hi. I'm in Ohio but the forage base in our area is Shad based. I have my best success on baits that have a Shad profile over the longer skinny baits. Bakers, Tuff Shads, Boss Shads etc. Also 3/4oz Wiggle warts are a great small casting bait along with 3in Crossbones Cherry Bombs.Good Luck. Hopes this helps
true tiger tamer
Posted 1/11/2019 5:45 PM (#928147 - in reply to #928098)

I catch a lot of tigers out here in the western US, almost all wading. Tigers really like cover, even small amounts of cover. I'd stay with the smaller lures. I catch a lot of tigers on a modified Cotton Cordell jointed redfin. It is my search lure on new bodies of water. If your lakes have a decent population of crayfish, a Zoom Brushhog or any soft crayfish imitation are worth a try as tigers often prey on crayfish (bites feel like a small bass until you set the hook). When the water warms, try a tailspin topwater, my favorite way to catch tigers and purebred muskies, just don't go too big. Tigers are caught on big lures but generally favor smaller lures than purebreds. The gentleman that owns the Minnesota state record tiger, caught his fish on a Shad Rap if I remember correctly. I wish you the best of luck on your quest, but beware as these fish are very addictive.
mikie
Posted 1/11/2019 6:25 PM (#928149 - in reply to #928098)

DON'T! Run from this madness, hide. Bass are good, crappies, too.
Once you get The Obsession, it's a hard monkey to tame.
OR,
Open a new line of credit and say goodbye to family and friends-who-don't-fish-muskies.
Welcome aboard. m
Hghlndr85
Posted 1/11/2019 10:08 PM (#928163 - in reply to #928098)

I am liking this forum already! So you think stick with smaller lures slow retrieve around cover?
bigbite
Posted 1/12/2019 7:41 AM (#928176 - in reply to #928098)

Another lure to consider for tiger musky is a spinnerbait. It's a good bait to use when fishing in heavy cover. I've had my best luck by casting the bait practically on the shoreline before retrieving. Joe Bucher's "Slop master" spinner baits are a good example as many other brands would work well too. I would recommend sticking with the lighter weight models (1 oz. or 1.5 oz.). Good fishing!
DWags
Posted 1/12/2019 10:59 AM (#928190 - in reply to #928176)

I agree with Gerry, spinnerbaits are a great choice especially just starting out. A very versatile lure that you cannot fish wrong. Of all the lure types out there I struggled finding spinnerbaits that I really like. The two I'm most fond of currently are Llungen Jr nutbusters and one I dont hear about many people using the lil hustler musky spin. The lil hustler is cheap and comes in a double willow which allows you to fish it really fast without it rolling over. Check them out

Edited by DWags 1/12/2019 11:01 AM
kdawg
Posted 1/12/2019 11:40 AM (#928194 - in reply to #928190)

Dwags, I use lil hustler spinnerbaits, but I don't talk about it! Kdawg
Hghlndr85
Posted 1/12/2019 5:03 PM (#928215 - in reply to #928098)

Just picked up a micro double cowgirl in silver in blue and a chart. Spin bait . Heading out on monday. You guys think i should fish edges near cover or fish the open deep water?
FlyPiker
Posted 1/12/2019 6:01 PM (#928217 - in reply to #928098)

Just keep casting. Sounds like you are on the right track and have gotten some good advice already. Only other thing I haven't seen anyone mention is warmer water. If there is a warm water discharge or some other factor where water may be a few degrees warmer than the rest of the lake start a search there. If anything you may find fish that are a bit more active. Also, if you aren't already, figure 8 EVERY cast. It may be akward from your yak, but figure out how to make it work... It will pay off. Good luck.
tolle141
Posted 1/12/2019 6:07 PM (#928218 - in reply to #928098)

+1 on running away as fast as you can.

If you don't feel like heeding this advice, then I recommend booking a guide for several sessions spread throughout the season to learn a fishery and how the pattern changes. Best money you can spend.

That's assuming you have the right release tools for the job (large net, knipex, long pliers, jaw spreader)
Rotorhead
Posted 1/12/2019 8:12 PM (#928224 - in reply to #928098)

Are there any muskie clubs or Muskies Inc chapters in your area? There are three Muskies Inc chapters in PA. Hook up with one of those if you can. You'll meet fellow muskie hunters and probably find someone to fish with (their boat if you have a kayak) to learn a local lake or river. Read all you can about your area. There are plenty of articles on the web and probably some about the lakes or rivers you fish. Local tourist bureaus sometimes have fishing information. If you've gone right to fishing and haven't done pre-fishing homework, take a break and learn more about the lakes you fish. Check out this link to Fishing Hotspots maps for PA to see if one of your lakes has a fishing map for it: https://www.fishinghotspots.com/e1/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=... Find a hydrographic chart of one of the lakes you fish to study structure. Find local bait stores or sporting goods stores to see if one of the staff can provide some local recommentations regarding lakes, spots, recommended baits, names of people who fish muskie, or guides in your area. You may even meet a local muskie fisherman in one of those stores. If you do this on your own, your learning curve will be long. The important thing is don't be shy about approaching others who already know the lakes and rivers in your region. Most guys I know would be happy to help a newbe learn this sick sport. Don't give up. Good luck!
NPike
Posted 1/15/2019 5:27 PM (#928446 - in reply to #928107)

vegas492 - 1/11/2019 1:43 PM

Find the bait...find the fish.
Also...try doing "something different". If there is some deeper water...see if you can find baitfish and vertical jig a bondy. If they haven't seen that out there, that could be a nice bite.

Good advise the fish usually don't hang where there's little - no food. never jigged for musky but seen a few jumbo's caught while jigging 4 walleye, some at 60' deep.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 1/15/2019 11:09 PM (#928487 - in reply to #928102)

wild - 1/11/2019 12:14 PM

Welcome...Time on the water.... cast, cast, cast, cast, cast....and more casting....

Time on the water is as much about finding out where theyre NOT as it is finding out where they’ ARE. If it looks good fish it. And again and again. Soon some spots will show you a fish while others simply will not.

I think this explains it:

https://youtu.be/LVIaZSYLwtE

bwana72
Posted 1/17/2019 12:11 AM (#928616 - in reply to #928098)

The answer to all of your questions is really very simple. In fact, it's really just a 3 step process. Step 1) Buy at least 3 more rod and reel combinations , Step 2) Buy a ridiculous amount of new lures of various types, colors, and size, and Step 3) Increase the amount of time you spend on the water by at least 10x more than you presently are. And that's it. Seriously though...just keep at it. Remember that musky got the name "The fish of 10,000 casts" for a reason. And as easy as it can be to lose focus and start to just go through the motions when you are out there...stay focused...that first follow or Strike can happen on any cast. Figure 8 Every Cast... And welcome to the club.
Craig Holland
Posted 1/17/2019 12:43 PM (#928643 - in reply to #928098)

I would say fundamentals. Buy 1 good rod and real and some standard baits( bucktails cranks and rubber). Make sure you always do figure 8s and change lure direction over good areas. Figure 8s or circles are critical. I can 25 to 35 percent of my fish that way and some you never see til they bite.
Smell_Esox
Posted 1/18/2019 7:55 AM (#928677 - in reply to #928098)

Just a thought, and I don't have a ton of experience fishing tigers, but when I did, I didn't think they were as much of a "follower" as normal muskies. Maybe other guys with more experience than me can comment on that.
FlyPiker
Posted 1/18/2019 10:33 AM (#928686 - in reply to #928098)

I have yet to catch a tiger on the 8, however, it has allowed me to see several that I otherwise would not know are there. They tend to peel off from the bait a few feet from the boat and not go into a full 8 but it gives you some feedback to work with. That being said I have caught pike and bass on figure 8s while Muskie fishing, and heard from a Muskie angler throwing streamers for big Browns that he got a low 20inch brown to take at boat side using big circles like he would Muskie fishing. Personally, when I fish for esox I never pull the bait out of the water without at least an L turn.
Pepper
Posted 1/18/2019 10:36 AM (#928687 - in reply to #928098)

Find out which is the BEST reel for double 10's
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)