Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Opinions on inflatable PFD's

Reply New post
Message Subject: Opinions on inflatable PFD's
North of 8
Posted 2/1/2019 2:31 PM (#929893 - in reply to #929853)
Subject: Re: Opinions on inflatable PFD's

Smell_Esox - 2/1/2019 8:48 AM

esoxaddict - 1/23/2019 1:31 PM

A few buddies have started wearing their PFD's under their parkas in the fall for comfort and to avoid having them get in the way casting. Sounds like a bad idea to me. Seems the vest might not inflate when you need it if it's underneath your coat. Thoughts on that?
I think it will inflate no matter what.

Unless the parka is really tight, I would think they would inflate. I think mine says it inflates at a rate of 32 psi. My concern would be the water pressure which is required, might the parka delay that? I have read they are to be worn over the top of any clothing but don't know if wouldn't still work.
bllhogg
Posted 2/2/2019 12:49 AM (#929916 - in reply to #927989)

wearing it under gear that is water resistant clothing will delay ignition... wearing it under waterproof clothing with delay ignition even further. "tight" has nothing to do with it. it all depends on when the ignition mechanism hits its limit.
if you're serious about wearing your pfd, wear it as the top layer.... use commonsense. yikes
Jerry Newman
Posted 2/7/2019 8:57 PM (#930291 - in reply to #929916)

bllhogg - 2/2/2019 12:49 AM wearing it under gear that is water resistant clothing will delay ignition... wearing it under waterproof clothing with delay ignition even further. "tight" has nothing to do with it. it all depends on when the ignition mechanism hits its limit. if you're serious about wearing your pfd, wear it as the top layer.... use commonsense. yikes

I own and have worn both the Mustang and Onyx and definitely prefer the Onyx because the Mustang is heavier and tends to fatigue my shoulders/neck… maybe it's just my body type but I don't have that problem with the Onyx. I've also wondered “is this thing really going to work if I fall in?” My solution has been to simply replace it every three or four years, but still kind of feel like I'm crossing my fingers to a degree...  how can you 100% test it?

Agree that they can get a little restrictive even on top of light rain gear so I wear it underneath with the front of the jacket or even a sweatshirt partially unzipped. I've been told that if it goes off underneath it can choke so would be interested to hear a real expert's opinion on this subject. 

Steve, I recommend that you spend the extra money on one so you can wear it all the time. I guarantee that after a couple of months you will  notice it as much as your car’s seat belt… it will then only feel odd when you don't have it on. J

esoxaddict
Posted 2/7/2019 9:22 PM (#930294 - in reply to #930291)

When I'm in a late fall situation where I know I'm sinking like a rock if I go over, I wear it as designed. But I have to admit, the #*^@ vest gets in the way of casting, it's bulky, and not comfortable at all. Yes, being uncomfortable beads dead any day of the week, and that's why I wear it.

I think the only way to test the under-your-parka thing is to pick a nice summer day, gear up like you would in November, and jump in. Maybe make sure you do it in shallow water with others around so if things go South they can pull you out. Even that sounds like a bad idea, but it's better than not wearing the vest in the fall...
Nomadmusky
Posted 2/8/2019 8:56 AM (#930310 - in reply to #927989)

I also have been wearing one for over a decade, in fact I saw last fall the little red line that tells me I need to replace it or have it checked. I like mine for the above reasons and it's easy to carry with me. I often travel and get to fish with other people, so my vest goes in my bag with my rain gear, hats, gloves, thin layer of thermals, and gators/buffs. I've found over the years that when fishing with others they often don't have vests in the boat that I would let an enemy use much less rely on for my safety.

I too have wore mine in rain and haven't had an issue. I've pulled big guys back into the boat in cold water that didn't think they needed a vest, yet hit something in flowages and ended up in the water. I'm telling you that even with adrenaline a soaking wet big guy who brags about how well he can swim, can barely breath let alone swim or help you pull him back into the boat. I'm not as young as I used to be, and a vest would help tremendously and this style is much less intrusive so it gives you a much more likelihood that you will wear it and that is the only way they work.
Duffer58
Posted 2/10/2019 5:41 PM (#930480 - in reply to #930294)

Good suggestion on the trying your flotation with fall gear in the summer. If you have a pool or a friend with one it is a great place to do your test. Do have friends around in case you need assistance. I've practiced falling over in water with waders on in my pool so I'll be ready in case it happens duck hunting. Never had it happen but I feel better knowing I've practiced what to do. I've have buddies fall over in just 2 foot of water and they panicked because they hadn't practiced what to do.
North of 8
Posted 2/11/2019 4:49 PM (#930564 - in reply to #927989)

Confidence, avoiding panic when bad things happen is critical and practicing, anticipating is important. When I was quite young, my aunt and uncle used to take me to their cottage in northern WI. I could swim but they made me jump out of the boat with a life jacket on, so I would know what it felt like, that it would be OK. They also stressed staying calm.

A few years later, when I was a little older I was up at their cottage when a very sad story came on the radio. A guy had fallen out of his boat while fishing after dark. Other folks at the resort where he was staying heard him call for help. They got in a boat and rowed over. They found the boat, but not him. The next morning the authorities found his body in four feet of water, with the nearest deep water over 100 feet away. The authorities speculated that the guy had fallen over the side, panicked and thrashed about until he was exhausted and drowned in water where he could have just stood up and walked to shore.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)