Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Broken ice self rescue

Message Subject: Broken ice self rescue
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/19/2018 11:00 AM (#923856)
Subject: Broken ice self rescue

How to Survive a Fall Through Ice - Bing video

I didn't know about this until my wife showed me this morning... can forward to the 6 min mark.

pklingen
Posted 11/19/2018 5:53 PM (#923887 - in reply to #923856)
Subject: Re: Broken ice self rescue

thats good stuff to know right there. thanks for sharing!
jdsplasher
Posted 11/19/2018 6:28 PM (#923893 - in reply to #923887)

Very informative Video.

Obviously the actor here had very little/ light clothing on. His movements were Not as limited as most of us would have very heavy clothing/ Boots/ Sorels/ moon boots...ect. on.  I think there should be some sort of procedure/ system on  removing some clothing or Boots. I believe falling through Ice, one of the first things, along with stabilization of your Wits, is to try to remove clothing so your Not fighting the bulk as well.

Your Thoughts;

JD 

North of 8
Posted 11/19/2018 10:21 PM (#923944 - in reply to #923893)

Saw first hand what the shock of cold water can do, but it was connected with a sauna. First time I took a sauna in the U.P. it was on Portage Canal, which connects with Lake Superior on both ends. The sauna was very hot and it was a nice day in May but to jump in the water, had to push chunks of ice away with a pole. I jumped in and the other guys swore I cam straight out of the water and onto the dock without using my hands, sort of like a dolphin. The last guy out of the sauna was only a couple years removed from the World Hockey League and before that had played for Mich. Tech. He was warned about how cold the water was and how I had shot out of it. He scoffed, said I was a newbie and he had done it dozens of times. He jumped in all right, but we had to pull him out. He said it felt like all the blood rushed from his limbs and into his torso, which is supposedly how the body protects the heart/lungs, internal organs. He was stunned, said he had never experienced anything like it.
The Finns in that area often cut holes in the ice on the lake and jump in after a sauna. Knew folks well into their 70s that did that regularly. I think they must have trained their bodies so that they didn't have that panic response to the cold water. I am sure there is some science that could explain it.
CincySkeez
Posted 11/20/2018 10:26 AM (#923964 - in reply to #923944)

Best not to try to explain the Finns, especially yooper Finns.
Outkast
Posted 11/20/2018 10:43 AM (#923966 - in reply to #923856)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BQjSYflwPck
Outkast
Posted 11/20/2018 10:51 AM (#923967 - in reply to #923966)

What’s a little more scary to me is falling out of a boat in frigid November or December water an trying to get back in a boat. Or drifting away from the boat an trying to swim. Guess all the more reason to be fishing with someone else and wearing a inflatable life jacket. Also think having the trolling motor remote on me if I could steer the boat back to me. Things to think about. Stay safe out der!
North of 8
Posted 11/20/2018 12:15 PM (#923976 - in reply to #923967)

Outkast - 11/20/2018 10:51 AM

What’s a little more scary to me is falling out of a boat in frigid November or December water an trying to get back in a boat. Or drifting away from the boat an trying to swim. Guess all the more reason to be fishing with someone else and wearing a inflatable life jacket. Also think having the trolling motor remote on me if I could steer the boat back to me. Things to think about. Stay safe out der!

One thing I did this year that I hadn't done before was to put a "trail rope" out. I have a rope with a heavy duty snap that was sold as a way to tie off the boat when launching by yourself and I use it for that. But in the cold, I attached the rope to the back of the boat and tied a couple knots in it and left it trail directly behind the boat (has a foam collar that keeps end of rope floating). Something to grab if boat is moving away and the knots give a hand hold. This was something suggested on this forum.
Junkman
Posted 11/20/2018 12:51 PM (#923980 - in reply to #923856)

Not sure what Bass Pro, Cabelas, et al, are doing for Black Friday, but West Marine down here in Florida always puts the inflatable vests on sale as low as fifty bucks. They will automatically inflate in the water, manually work with a pull cord, or even let you blow it up with a tube if the CO2 cylinder fails. There’s just no reason not to wear this when danger lurks. Other times during the year these are usually a hundred to hundred fifty bucks.
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/20/2018 1:33 PM (#923987 - in reply to #923980)

I enjoy skating on my pond every winter, and much like ice fishing, that first (thin) ice is usually some of your best skating ice of the year, and I'm always a little anxious to get out there.

When I'm skating and unsure of conditions I've always just stayed on the outside until it's tested. Well, last year I ended up breaking through a spot I had already skated on and although it wasn't very deep, I was also surprised at how quickly that ice broke out from under me. 

It was hard to remove my skates, by the time I got back to the house my pants were pretty stiff... not as anxious to get out there until the ice gets a little thicker this year.

I think these videos do a good job of helping to increase awareness.

North of 8
Posted 11/20/2018 1:55 PM (#923988 - in reply to #923980)

Junkman - 11/20/2018 12:51 PM

Not sure what Bass Pro, Cabelas, et al, are doing for Black Friday, but West Marine down here in Florida always puts the inflatable vests on sale as low as fifty bucks. They will automatically inflate in the water, manually work with a pull cord, or even let you blow it up with a tube if the CO2 cylinder fails. There’s just no reason not to wear this when danger lurks. Other times during the year these are usually a hundred to hundred fifty bucks.

I will have to check that out. I wear one all season long but would be nice to have one in the boat for when I have someone along. Most folks don't want to wear a regular vest.
TheShow
Posted 11/21/2018 7:39 AM (#924051 - in reply to #923988)

Thanks for sharing; good info here.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 11/21/2018 12:49 PM (#924085 - in reply to #923988)

North of 8 - 11/20/2018 1:55 PM

I will have to check that out. I wear one all season long but would be nice to have one in the boat for when I have someone along. Most folks don't want to wear a regular vest.

With what we pay for boats dropping a hundo or more on a decent life jacket for our guests is a no brainer. If we wear them and TELL them (not ask) to wear one they will put one on with little fuss. We are the masters of our boats, what we say goes.
ToddM
Posted 11/21/2018 1:11 PM (#924089 - in reply to #923856)

Good info. Has anyone tried the clam floatation ice suit? Thinking about getting it for late fall fishing. My suit I have now will get me to the turtles quick.
North of 8
Posted 11/21/2018 1:25 PM (#924091 - in reply to #924085)

Brian Hoffies - 11/21/2018 12:49 PM

North of 8 - 11/20/2018 1:55 PM

With what we pay for boats dropping a hundo or more on a decent life jacket for our guests is a no brainer. If we wear them and TELL them (not ask) to wear one they will put one on with little fuss. We are the masters of our boats, what we say goes.

I already have a spare self inflating for a guest, but would be nice to have two. No one uses our kayaks or canoe without a pfd, but I don't see myself telling an adult they have to wear a pfd to fish with me. Hand them one, offer to show they how to adjust fit, sure, but insist on it, probably not.
I do have one guest, an elderly neighbor who has health issues that I take out to troll, who I pick up at his dock and he wears his own self inflating, putting it on before he ever gets in the boat. Hoping by next spring he will be up to going out with me and catching some crappies. He has COPD so taking him out on the ice doesn't work, the cold air reeks havoc with his breathing.

Edited by North of 8 11/21/2018 1:30 PM
TCESOX
Posted 11/26/2018 10:08 AM (#924351 - in reply to #924089)

ToddM - 11/21/2018 1:11 PM

Good info. Has anyone tried the clam floatation ice suit? Thinking about getting it for late fall fishing. My suit I have now will get me to the turtles quick.

I got the Sriker Ice float suit (I think they have three different models). I really like it. Don't plan on testing the floating aspect of it though, I'll just take their word for it and hope it never comes into play.
CincySkeez
Posted 11/28/2018 9:21 AM (#924502 - in reply to #923856)

Picket up a Frabill I Float jacket for late fall/early ice. Hope I never find out how well it works
sworrall
Posted 11/28/2018 4:24 PM (#924532 - in reply to #923856)

I wear a Clam Ascent suit all late Fall and every day on the ice.
Lake Of The Woods
Posted 12/10/2018 6:58 PM (#925494 - in reply to #923856)
Subject: RE: Broken ice self rescue

Fell through the ice in the late 80's while Moose hunting in the Kenora area in mid-December with -25°C temperature. Headed down Sherwood Lake Road to the Deception River which flows into Deception Lake. That morning I walked the river in to a Black Spruce lowland area just off the river tracking a delicious looking young 800lb bull. Harvested the moose a few hours after my start, gutted the the game in an hour and started heading back to the truck again walking the river and following the exact trail I walked in on. I was about 8 feet from the rivers edge when the ice broke sending me chest deep into the water. With my rifle in my arms stretched forward I reached for stable ice and once secured I quickly slid the rifle towards the shoreline then reached for the set of Phillips screwdrivers around my neck I had fashioned into ice picks by drilling holes in the handles and tied together with good quality cord. With my soaked insulated coveralls and white Sorrel military issue boots and one massive dose of adrenaline I managed to pull myself from the icy water to the rivers edge. Once back on my feet I collected my rifle then took a a few minutes to settle myself down. I walked back to hole in the ice to investigate what had happened and discovered that the ice had broken due to a Beaver Dam that was about a foot below the surface. This had obviously not allowed the ice to form as thick and stable and though it held me on the way in walking on the same path out caused it to fail. The good thing is that the temperature was so cold that my soaked coveralls froze before the water could really seep into the layers of clothing underneath eliminating the chance of hypothermia. Once I arrived back at my truck I sat in the heat for a good 15 minutes while the zippers on the coveralls thawed allowing me to take them off. I headed back home for a changed of clothes before rounding up a couple chums to help quarter and transport the moose out of the bush. And yes,... it was as delicious as initially anticipated.Also, if you are curious as to what your ultimate reaction time would be to quick thinking and physical movement,... then fall through the ice,... although I wouldn't recommend it, lol.Oh, and yes,... I now where an orange Mustang Floater coat when hunting in areas I must cross the ice.

Edited by Lake Of The Woods 12/10/2018 7:16 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Decption Lake Ice Incident.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Decption Lake Ice Incident.png (394KB - 415 downloads)
Bob54
Posted 12/10/2018 8:33 PM (#925503 - in reply to #923856)

For fall fishing October thru December, as well as ice fishing, Myself and alot of friends wear Mustang Float survival suits, some wear the bibs and Float jackets, either way if you ever end up in cold water wearing one of these suits you will find the money well spent, its a small price to pay for your life. These are the same suits worn by the US Coast Guard.

https://www.landfallnavigation.com/mustang-deluxe-anti-exposure-work...

Edited by Bob54 12/10/2018 8:36 PM
jchiggins
Posted 12/10/2018 10:41 PM (#925508 - in reply to #924532)

sworrall - 11/28/2018 4:24 PM

I wear a Clam Ascent suit all late Fall and every day on the ice.
Steve, how are they for a day of casting in the fall? Any more cumbersome than any other late fall/winter wear?
sworrall
Posted 12/10/2018 11:12 PM (#925509 - in reply to #923856)

Actually, surprisingly comfortable. The suit is not bulky at all. The flotation is formed and slotted to flex with the suit. Nice garment, and very warm.
jchiggins
Posted 12/10/2018 11:33 PM (#925510 - in reply to #925509)

sworrall - 12/10/2018 11:12 PM

Actually, surprisingly comfortable. The suit is not bulky at all. The flotation is formed and slotted to flex with the suit. Nice garment, and very warm.
Thanks.
Santa needs to treat himself now and then.
ToddM
Posted 12/11/2018 7:05 AM (#925515 - in reply to #923856)

The clam suit is on my radar as well and 100+ cheaper for the jacket and bibs than guidewear. As much cold water fishing out of a boat as I do, I need one.

Edited by ToddM 12/11/2018 7:06 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)