Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> electronics and batteries

Reply New post
Message Subject: electronics and batteries
Tom N
Posted 11/9/2018 6:14 PM (#923118)
Subject: electronics and batteries

With today's 12" -3 total electronics units draining from the starting battery, I have wired direct to battery. Strongest battery available , has anyone tried having 2 starting batteries with your electronics and starter ? Have 4 batteries already, 1 starting - 3 trolling. If so with great results please tell me how or why not. Thank YOU
Fishysam
Posted 11/9/2018 6:30 PM (#923119 - in reply to #923118)
Subject: Re: electronics and batteries

I used to have issues till I got a size 31 batteries plus x2, it's amazing. But yes if you have room for another battery that is not uncommon
kap
Posted 11/9/2018 8:32 PM (#923127 - in reply to #923118)

walleye and bass guys are running 5 batteries but they are running their live wells all day also
I use 4 batteries but run a deep cycle (same as my trolling motor batteries) for starting and electronics
as mentioned get the big ones size 31

I
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/12/2018 11:05 AM (#923241 - in reply to #923127)

kap - 11/9/2018 8:32 PM

walleye and bass guys are running 5 batteries but they are running their live wells all day also
I use 4 batteries but run a deep cycle (same as my trolling motor batteries) for starting and electronics
as mentioned get the big ones size 31

I

…muskie guys are running 5 batteries too! IMHO, 2 group 31 deep cycle batteries are going to be mandatory if you're running 3-12” screens. I'm on my second boat with that type configuration, and before that was running 3-10” screens on 2 group 31s.

Further; it's pretty common to have a battery isolator so the electronics/live well/ect cannot discharge the primary starting battery these days. However, I've been running the 2 house (starting) batteries hooked-up in series with only a few minor issues without an isolator, so I have just stayed with that configuration.

In 2017 I had a pesky intermittent electronics brownout when I would start my big motor, and although a battery isolator may have helped to solve the problem, my remedy was to simply not shut off the kicker motor until after I started the big motor… and then just replaced the entire boat at the end of the year.

I went a little overboard with heavier wires etc. while rigging the electronics in the new boat in the winter of 2017/8, and it performed almost flawlessly.

Edited by Jerry Newman 11/12/2018 11:06 AM
Tom N
Posted 11/12/2018 8:18 PM (#923316 - in reply to #923118)

Thanks, giong to 2- 31's with heavier wires.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)