Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> 6O Inch Muskies

Message Subject: 6O Inch Muskies
horsehunter
Posted 11/26/2018 10:42 AM (#924353 - in reply to #922769)
Subject: Re: 6O Inch Muskies

One thing I have seen over the years is people measuring with a soft sewing tape over the top of the fish rather than a tape , rule , or bump board under the fish . Try with your pillow and see the difference. It's your fish it can be anything you want I'm only concerned with my fish. A new neighbour showed me a picture of a mid 40's fish and when I asked how long it was she said 61 inches my only reply it was NICE FISH. Not being a muskie angler it was obviously the biggest fish she had ever seen.
sukrchukr
Posted 11/26/2018 11:14 AM (#924357 - in reply to #922769)

if 3 guys measured a fish over the side of a boat with a stick, they would have 3 different measurements...a bump board doesnt make a fish any longer, its just an accurate measurement....and as far as a fat fish being shorter, Im 6`1 before thanksgiving dinner and after... their bone structure doesnt change because of their weight they are carrying... But to the original post, yes, I think the biggest of the big stay in deep water alomst exclusively
Junkman
Posted 11/26/2018 12:27 PM (#924363 - in reply to #922769)

The story about the sixty the guide didn’t want posted reminds me of the story about the 80 year old Jewish guy who shows up at St Pete’s confessional and starts telling the Father about the young girl who seduces him in the park and insisted he have sex with her seven times the previous day. Father says, “ Mr. Cohen you’re Jewish, you don’t have to tell me.” He answers, “Father, I’m telling everybody!”
supertrollr
Posted 11/26/2018 5:22 PM (#924383 - in reply to #922769)

vms bump board are here for at least 15 years.did you finally kill the yeti you tried to hunt since at least 20 years ? ive seen one 1 year ago, he was looking for some food near the mcdonalds trash.too bad im like you ive got no pics.cell phone was didn't exist back then. camera was barely available
ToddM
Posted 11/26/2018 5:33 PM (#924386 - in reply to #924353)

horsehunter - 11/26/2018 10:42 AM
It's your fish it can be anything you want I'm only concerned with my fish.

Ye have little understanding of the musky fisherman's ego.:-)
horsehunter
Posted 11/26/2018 5:44 PM (#924387 - in reply to #924386)

ToddM - 11/26/2018 6:33 PM

horsehunter - 11/26/2018 10:42 AM
It's your fish it can be anything you want I'm only concerned with my fish.

Ye have little understanding of the musky fisherman's ego.:-)

I've played this game a long time believe me I have too much understanding.
Muskies247
Posted 11/26/2018 9:58 PM (#924417 - in reply to #922769)

What we’re catching and trapping is not all inclusive. Bigger fish are surviving and not being caught. I think it’s amusing when guys say 50” fish don’t grow here, then some kid with a bobber catches one. New York and Pa. and Ohio have big fish-fact.
VMS
Posted 11/26/2018 11:15 PM (#924423 - in reply to #924383)

supertrollr - 11/26/2018 5:22 PM

vms bump board are here for at least 15 years.did you finally kill the yeti you tried to hunt since at least 20 years ? ive seen one 1 year ago, he was looking for some food near the mcdonalds trash.too bad im like you ive got no pics.cell phone was didn't exist back then. camera was barely available

I highly doubt I am the same as you... Yeti’s are everywhere.. they seem to keep things nice and cold or toasty warm... no need to hunt for them they are at your local Cabela’s...bump boards didn’t exist for the first 30 years I’ve fished for these critters. Those days (especially the early to mid 80s)catch and release was catching on but weight was still the defining measurement. Call it what you will, call me out all you want, but please, try to use better grammar, spelling, sentence structure and punctuation.

Honest people did and would continue things today with an honest measurement. Horse hunter hit the nail on the head.. those of us who’ve been at this for 40 years or more have seen and heard many stories.. ah the myth and lore of years past...and yet some try and pull it off today...bump board or not.

horsehunter
Posted 11/27/2018 7:03 AM (#924427 - in reply to #924357)

sukrchukr - 11/26/2018 12:14 PM

if 3 guys measured a fish over the side of a boat with a stick, they would have 3 different measurements...a bump board doesnt make a fish any longer, its just an accurate measurement....and as far as a fat fish being shorter, Im 6`1 before thanksgiving dinner and after... their bone structure doesnt change because of their weight they are carrying... But to the original post, yes, I think the biggest of the big stay in deep water alomst exclusively

I don't recall anyone saying fat fish were shorter
What I did say was you will get a longer measurement running a tape up and over the fish's body compared to laying the fish on a rule.
I also said that most of the extremely long fish I had seen had been apparently old relatively skinny fish in decline.

Cold blooded animals especially fish never stop growing as long as they live the rate may slow but never stops.
sukrchukr
Posted 11/27/2018 8:44 AM (#924429 - in reply to #922769)

bottom of the first page someone made a comment on fatter fish possibly being shorter as they put on weight as opposed to being longer when they are skinnier

youre not the only one here commenting on this subject

I also believe fish/mammals reach a certain growth according to their genetics and dont grow their entire life

Edited by sukrchukr 11/27/2018 8:48 AM
Junkman
Posted 11/27/2018 8:56 AM (#924430 - in reply to #922769)

I’m thinking of a morning going out with Bill Sandy on LOTW, and having him say he’d rather not take a fish out of the water unless it really represented something special. And, while I’m certainly no Bill Sandy, I’ll wager I can judge a fish within an inch or less without ruining its day. We handle far too many fish. It’s just that simple. Delayed mortality costs us way more fish that we will never catch again than thought. Just post your best guess at size, nobody here believes you anyway.
UglyPike
Posted 12/12/2018 1:19 PM (#925674 - in reply to #922769)

John Anderson talked about this on our podcast and said a couple of things that stayed with me 1) almost everything that is older tends to lay down a lot (ie large fish on bottom). 2) Talked of a giant that was caught and the stomach contents were nothing but catfish, so bottom. Steve Herbek also said on his episode that the 60 inchers are incredibly rare and that many a fisherman have wasted seasons trying to go after them (with no success)
Top H2O
Posted 12/12/2018 5:22 PM (#925706 - in reply to #925674)

UglyPike - 12/12/2018 1:19 PM

John Anderson talked about this on our podcast and said a couple of things that stayed with me 1) almost everything that is older tends to lay down a lot (ie large fish on bottom). 2) Talked of a giant that was caught and the stomach contents were nothing but catfish, so bottom. Steve Herbek also said on his episode that the 60 inchers are incredibly rare and that many a fisherman have wasted seasons trying to go after them (with no success)

So, How does one go about Landing this elusive 60" fish ??

Stay in deep water and continue to fish the bottom ? Don't big muskies/pike feed by looking up from where they are staged in the water column ?
Have most of the verified 60 " muskies been caught in deep water ? I'm trying to learn here.
sukrchukr
Posted 12/12/2018 6:58 PM (#925726 - in reply to #922769)

To catch a fish like that you`re going to have to dedicate all your time on the water to big fish. A few hours here and there isnt going to make it happen. You have to be willing to sacrifice action for the one big bite.
Id say fish open water, with slow moving big baits and keep your fingers crossed for a 60".... and except the fact that a 60" is probably not ever going to happen... but the 50" -55" fish aint too shabby either!

Edited by sukrchukr 12/12/2018 7:11 PM
Muskies247
Posted 12/13/2018 7:06 PM (#925844 - in reply to #922769)

Do not fish numbers waters go where you get skunked more
Fish open water with giant baits really slow
Pounder jumbo glider jumbo bucktails
Slow reel 5.1-1 or slower as slow as you can fish
My opinion of course based on years of what has gotten big bites on my boat
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread