Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Tekota -A -LC

Message Subject: Tekota -A -LC
Pepper
Posted 10/31/2018 3:24 PM (#922234)
Subject: Tekota -A -LC

Has anyone used or even seen the new Tekota low profile line counter reel? If so where did you find t?
undersized
Posted 10/31/2018 8:36 PM (#922254 - in reply to #922234)
Subject: Re: Tekota -A -LC

https://youtu.be/199LNXEQ4qE
Pepper
Posted 11/1/2018 6:36 AM (#922263 - in reply to #922234)

That’s what I’m looking for anyone have them?
todd_yester
Posted 11/6/2018 12:12 PM (#922768 - in reply to #922234)

I will be interested to hear what the hardcore trollers out there think of them. Im a little concerned about the gear ratio on them for a trolling reel. Im worried they wont have any power. I know the salmon guys will love them tho. The new penn fathom II linecounter should be a nice one also.
supertrollr
Posted 11/7/2018 2:53 PM (#922919 - in reply to #922234)

gear ratio was perfect,now it's too high for hard pulling lures.the only good new ,there will be left handed one.not happy at all,because that's not an upgrade in many points.by chance sealine still available.does anyone know how long shimano has continue to produce the discontinued calcutta te ? i think it was near 10 years ,i hope they will do the same for the original tek but it's no big deal most of them never or rarely need new parts
undersized
Posted 11/8/2018 10:32 AM (#922982 - in reply to #922234)

I see the line pick-up question differently, and I'm very glad they went to a high-speed reel. When checking for weeds or changing lures, I want to get that planer board and lure in as fast as possible for the switch. Low-ratio LC reels are a bother to use because I have to crank forever to gain any ground. When trolling you're doing it infrequently anyway, so I'm willing to trade off a bit more stress cranking it in for being able to do it quickly. It's not anything like making 60 retrieves an hour while casting a double-10.
supertrollr
Posted 11/9/2018 12:50 PM (#923097 - in reply to #922234)

too high is not good for hard pulling things that's why trolling reel are starting with a 4 or a 5 not with a 6.anyway get what you want
upnortdave
Posted 11/11/2018 10:47 AM (#923182 - in reply to #923097)

It comes in a non line counter too. Any one use these for casting?
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/12/2018 3:15 PM (#923293 - in reply to #922768)

todd_yester - 11/6/2018 12:12 PM I will be interested to hear what the hardcore trollers out there think of them. Im a little concerned about the gear ratio on them for a trolling reel. Im worried they wont have any power. I know the salmon guys will love them tho. The new penn fathom II linecounter should be a nice one also.

Without even handling one; “not much”, and think you should not only be concerned with the gear ratio but if they only have 3 ball bearings instead of 4 now.

With that said; the only reason I can think of where someone might want/need a smaller profile trolling reel would be to fit them in a rod locker. Otherwise, I just don't understand why someone would need to palm a reel while trolling for muskie.

In my boat we do more than a few things outside the traditional muskie trolling box, one of them is using the Shimano 700LC, after burning up the drags on the fleet of Shimano 600LC reels for the second time around, I started eyeballing the 700s and last year tried a couple of them… now it's the only trolling reel in my boat.

The 700 series completely outclasses the 600 (and Sealine) in every category, and I honestly feel a little dumb for not switching sooner…

Jerry Newman
Posted 11/12/2018 3:32 PM (#923295 - in reply to #922982)

undersized - 11/8/2018 10:32 AM I see the line pick-up question differently, and I'm very glad they went to a high-speed reel. When checking for weeds or changing lures, I want to get that planer board and lure in as fast as possible for the switch. Low-ratio LC reels are a bother to use because I have to crank forever to gain any ground. When trolling you're doing it infrequently anyway, so I'm willing to trade off a bit more stress cranking it in for being able to do it quickly. It's not anything like making 60 retrieves an hour while casting a double-10.

We also want those boards and lures in and out as fast as possible, and the Shimano 700LC really delivers… simply blows away the 600LC.  Based on what you said, I think you would be in shock of how much more power and speed the 700 actually delivers.

upnortdave
Posted 11/12/2018 4:45 PM (#923299 - in reply to #923295)

The reasons I ask about this reel for casting is for casting. How does this reel hold up as a casting reel. I'm interested in it being a rubber reel with the 6 gear and the 38 ipt. At $200 it's affordable. I've seen on keyes, Mike casting a older model tekota.
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/12/2018 6:42 PM (#923310 - in reply to #923299)

Jerry Newman
Posted 11/12/2018 6:44 PM (#923311 - in reply to #923299)

upnortdave - 11/12/2018 4:45 PM The reasons I ask about this reel for casting is for casting. How does this reel hold up as a casting reel. I'm interested in it being a rubber reel with the 6 gear and the 38 ipt. At $200 it's affordable. I've seen on keyes, Mike casting a older model tekota.

Okay, always good to think outside the box... second reason to consider a low profile trolling reel for muskie. 

upnortdave
Posted 11/12/2018 6:58 PM (#923313 - in reply to #923311)

So what makes it a " trolling " only reel. Guys use these to cast strippers and other off shore fish. Just because some use it as a trolling only reel doesnt make it a single purpose reel.
I understand their probably not built like a tranx, which was intended as a salt water jig reel, but will it hold up throwing big baits. Some may be interested in it as a big blade reel.
Food for thought. It's not really thinking outside of the box. Just a question abut a reel
Zinox
Posted 11/13/2018 4:28 AM (#923326 - in reply to #922234)

The main question regarding casting is most likely, weather or not it have some sort of casting brake, if it does, i'd bed its a fine casting reel.
undersized
Posted 11/13/2018 8:25 AM (#923329 - in reply to #923295)

We also want those boards and lures in and out as fast as possible, and the Shimano 700LC really delivers… simply blows away the 600LC.  Based on what you said, I think you would be in shock of how much more power and speed the 700 actually delivers.

I have both Tekota 600LC and 700LC in the boat right now, amongst others. As you mentioned, the 700s are great for pulling power. They can be testy getting into the rod holders since I attach the rod clamp beneath it, and they definitely create a storage issue. My long trolling rods don't fit in my front deck locker but do fit in the sidewall compartment of my boat; however the supersized trolling reels jam things up in there. A smaller, faster Tekota seems like a good compromise to me, and at this price it's worth experimenting with a couple.
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/13/2018 12:40 PM (#923346 - in reply to #923329)

undersized - 11/13/2018 8:25 AM

I have both Tekota 600LC and 700LC in the boat right now, amongst others. As you mentioned, the 700s are great for pulling power. They can be testy getting into the rod holders since I attach the rod clamp beneath it, and they definitely create a storage issue. My long trolling rods don't fit in my front deck locker but do fit in the sidewall compartment of my boat; however the supersized trolling reels jam things up in there. A smaller, faster Tekota seems like a good compromise to me, and at this price it's worth experimenting with a couple.

Storage is something that is always a consideration (especially in smaller boats), and why I made a point to mention it. I use to be able to squeeze 9 fully rigged trolling setups with 600 series sized reels in the locker, but can only fit 6 rigged 700s along with 3 back-up rods in the rod locker now. Not a problem though because 90% of the time my boat is trolling with 6 or less, so the only adjustment was keeping the 3 back-up reels in another compartment... only takes 10 mins to rig them.   

100% agree the pulling power (and would add overall speed) of the 700, a huge improvement over the 600. But, I'm not following the reason for needing the "rod clamp", because it's been a non-issue getting them in and out of DE holders for us.

What's your opinion of the 600 vs 700 drag system ect.?
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/13/2018 12:57 PM (#923349 - in reply to #923313)

upnortdave - 11/12/2018 6:58 PM So what makes it a " trolling " only reel. Guys use these to cast strippers and other off shore fish. Just because some use it as a trolling only reel doesnt make it a single purpose reel. I understand their probably not built like a tranx, which was intended as a salt water jig reel, but will it hold up throwing big baits. Some may be interested in it as a big blade reel. Food for thought. It's not really thinking outside of the box. Just a question abut a reel

I understand there are other species applications like deep water ocean jigging ect., I was really only referencing the new low profile design for muskie trolling. Almost everyone uses a single purpose LC when trolling muskie these days, but I suppose you could jig a bondy, soak a sucker, ect. and call it multi purpose.

Regarding buying one of these reels in a non-LC for casting; IMHO it would be very hard to improve on what's already out there and proven, and most would not be interested in using a non-LC for trolling (maybe short line), so it would end up just being a non-conventional reel for casting... kind of along the lines of the old Trinidad days.
undersized
Posted 11/13/2018 2:09 PM (#923353 - in reply to #923346)

Storage is something that is always a consideration (especially in smaller boats), and why I made a point to mention it. I use to be able to squeeze 9 fully rigged trolling setups with 600 series sized reels in the locker, but can only fit 6 of the rigged 700s, and 3 rods in the rod locker now. 90% of the time my boat is trolling with 6 or less, so the only adjustment I needed to make was keeping the reels in another compartment... only takes 10 mins to rig them.

That's a way to go. It's usually 6 or less for me too, but I'm not taking my reels on and off every time I go out. There's plenty of room for the reels in my center locker, the only problem there is that my rods are too long. The long locker on the side fits 10'ers no problem, but it's narrow so the bulky reels jam up.

I'm not following the reason for needing the "rod clamp", because it's been a non-issue getting them in and out of DE holders for us.

I don't trust the reel seats alone when putting on those oversized reels, so I attach the rod clamp that secures the reel around the bottom outside of the reel seat. It adds bulk in the rod holder. It's just another advantage for me to a smaller reel - I don't feel the need to attach the rod clamp.
And we'll save the rod holder brand debate for another time.

What's your opinion of the 600 vs 700 drag system ect.?

I upgraded my 600s when new, so can't say on stock drags. They are cheap and easy to change for a big impact, especially with hard-pulling lures or boards in waves. For the low cost of an upgrade, drag alone doesn't justify the move to a 700, but if you have other reasons it's nice they come that way.
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/14/2018 11:42 AM (#923476 - in reply to #923353)

The rod clamp is overkill IMHO because your trust in the reel seat shouldn't be influenced based only on it being a bigger reel. I recommend removing them considering you are having rod holders issues. Also, maybe two-piece rods to fit in your rod locker? 

Shimano 600LC VS 700LC:

Way back when... I also upgraded the drags on the 600s with the hope of not only having a smoother drag, but also having a wider drag adjustment range with so-so results. The last few years my worn out 600s developed a very narrow range (too tight/too lose in about a quarter turn)... a super PIA and one of the reasons I went looking for a new trolling reel.

I know a lot of you use the 600, and it's a great muskie reel when new... but it's also just a wide spool version of the 300-500 series, whereas the 700 is the next true step up in class. The 700 drag is not only beefier, it has a much wider drag adjustment range... makes it sooo much easier to dial in an exact setting. Another reoccurring issue with the 600s was having to tighten the drag almost every time to bring a board in, I wrongfully assumed having to play with the drag every time was just part of it.

However, with the larger drag surface of the 700 most times there's no need to tighten the drag to bring the boards in, basically a set it and forget it unless conditions change. This as been a real game changer for us because not only do we always have the default best setting, it frees up precious time in the boat to do other things.  

Otherwise, although some may argue you don't need that much capacity, and although I agree to a point, that big spool not only provides more power for large boards/lures, another benefit is the reels do not need to be re-spooled as often either, it seemed in years past every other trip I was re-spooling a couple of the 600s... not so much with the 700s.

I'm a bit of a terminal tackle fanatic and much more concerned with the reels over-all performance than how it fits in a rod locker... good trolling rods and rod holders that will handle the 700 are fairly cheap in the general scheme of things. Although the 600s (and the new low profile deal) will certainly do the job, if you're looking for a trolling reel that laughs at large lures and boards, the 700 might be your upgrade.

undersized
Posted 11/14/2018 2:58 PM (#923528 - in reply to #923476)

The rod clamp is overkill IMHO because your trust in the reel seat shouldn't be influenced based only on it being a bigger reel

It's less the size of the reel itself, than the size of the reel foot in combination with the size of the reel seat. Since reel seats come in different sizes depending on the brand and size of the rod, not every reel foot fits into every reel seat very well - and that's more often an issue with large reels. I've had a few reel seats flat-out bust and a few others come loose at inopportune times, so I add the reel clamp whenever provided and I use rod leashes as well.
supertrollr
Posted 11/16/2018 12:51 PM (#923674 - in reply to #923182)

upnortdave - 11/11/2018 10:47 AM

It comes in a non line counter too. Any one use these for casting?
ive got one,it,s a bit slow but it's a real tank,that do the job really well for d10 and top. but be careful most of them do not auto engage .muskyshop tek where auto,im not sure for now.not the kind of reel that will require extra care.
supertrollr
Posted 11/16/2018 1:17 PM (#923679 - in reply to #922234)

personally i think the fathom 2 should be better than the new tekota 4 plus 1 bearings and a 4.3:1 ratio.and you even got an internal wiper for your line counter window lol thee is also both hands option http://www.pennfishing.com/penn-reels-conventional-reels-penn-fatho...
was not a penn lover but that model look like a solid alternative instead of the new tekota
does anyone got the chance to give a try to that reel ?? i guess daiwa will follow next year with a sealine 2 or something like that
JLR
Posted 11/16/2018 9:16 PM (#923706 - in reply to #922234)

What are the parts to upgrade the drag?
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/17/2018 9:59 AM (#923725 - in reply to #923706)

JLR - 11/16/2018 9:16 PM What are the parts to upgrade the drag?

Carbon Carbontex Smooth Drag washer kit set Shimano Tekota 300 400 500 600 | eBay

JLR
Posted 11/17/2018 10:22 AM (#923726 - in reply to #922234)

Thanks
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/18/2018 12:58 PM (#923785 - in reply to #923726)

JLR - 11/17/2018 10:22 AM Thanks

No problem, they will make a difference.

I was just looking at the Shimano 700 series drag washers and noticed the size difference between the 600 and 700 series reels... pretty interesting that the 300-400-500-600 series reels all use the same size drag washer too.

Obviously, don't have to be a rocket scientist to know the brake plate assembly/ect. would be just as beefy.............. these pictures probably do a better job explaining why I moved to the 700 than my long-winded post above :

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(700 washer.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(600 washer.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 700 washer.jpg (52KB - 508 downloads)
Attachments 600 washer.jpg (49KB - 479 downloads)
Zinox
Posted 11/19/2018 2:56 AM (#923830 - in reply to #922234)

Might have missed it, but does it have a disengaging levelwind ?
ToddM
Posted 11/19/2018 6:51 AM (#923832 - in reply to #923313)

upnortdave - 11/12/2018 6:58 PM
Guys use these to cast strippers

I like your thinking but I think you are better off casting a dollar bill with a flyrod.
upnortdave
Posted 11/19/2018 4:49 PM (#923881 - in reply to #923832)

I heard muskies only like $20 or larger
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)