Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Thanks to good samaritan in Madison

Reply New post
Message Subject: Thanks to good samaritan in Madison
ponylou
Posted 10/9/2018 11:01 AM (#920532)
Subject: Thanks to good samaritan in Madison

Friday pulled up to Madison and had a completely dead starting battery, couldn't jump off the trolling battery. A fellow musky fisherman pulled up, lent me a jump box, and when that didn't work delayed his start to jump me off his boat. Thank you very much, I'm sorry I didn't get your name, but hope you're on here. It saved my day and really appreciate the help.
horsehunter
Posted 10/9/2018 11:10 AM (#920535 - in reply to #920532)
Subject: Re: Thanks to good samaritan in Madison

over the years I've helped many and been helped by many in a few occasions it has developed into long friendships as well as the occasional fishing partner

what goes around comes around
danlaboucane
Posted 10/9/2018 6:01 PM (#920556 - in reply to #920532)

"what goes around comes around " well said ,there are too many people these days that only think about themselves and we should be a community ! we all really want to be happy and content being able to use the great open spaces still existing in north america and should help each other as much as possible, i still do .
mikie
Posted 10/10/2018 6:58 AM (#920581 - in reply to #920556)

I was in my Gambler on a state park lake when an electrical system part failed and the 225 Merc wouldn't start. There was a bass tourney going on that day, at least a dozen boats went by us while we were waving a flag and blowing a whistle. Finally called the wife and had her look up the number and call the park to send the ranger out to get us.
Now, I do believe to this day that if a muskie boat had seen us we'd have been outta there much sooner. m
Muskies247
Posted 11/22/2018 7:13 PM (#924171 - in reply to #920532)

Great story thank you.
tenthousandand1
Posted 11/23/2018 9:55 AM (#924197 - in reply to #920532)
Subject: RE: Thanks to good samaritan in Madison

Was out fishing Green Lake earlier this fall and of course I picked the one weekend where there was a bass tourney going on. After waiting 90 minutes to put the boat in, I finally got the boat up on top and started out looking for the one elusive Ski in that abyss.
1/2 mile out, I see this 24ft Crownline giving me the arms waving sign. So, I pull up and he's run out of gas while taking this heavy beast in to winterize it for his client. Of course he has no bow line so I unhook mine, which is only 15 feet, and slowly tow him back without him running into me or tearing my shoulder out of the socket. 30 minutes later I drop him at the ramp. He doesn't wave, say thank you or anything, just starts telling his buddy what happened. I had to ask him to give me my bow rope back.

30 boats probably passed this guy. That's sad. But my Dad always taught me you get out of this world what you put into it so I'll never leave a stranded fellow boater. To me, that is willingly putting someone in danger. One of these days, I'm going to need that Karma to pay off so I sure hope I run into one of you lunge-hunters when I need it.

Darryl
NPike
Posted 12/5/2018 10:00 AM (#925035 - in reply to #924197)
Subject: RE: Thanks to good samaritan in Madison

Does seem most bass guys are in some crazed panic to fish and generally care less about any thing else (sometimes including making rather large wakes by going full out a heck of a lot closer than they should IMO. However I once hooked the safety chain to the same clip as to where the whench hooks up to the boat. Bottom line they were packed in together so tight I couldn't unhook the boat to launch. A couple of great guys (that were big and strong) were loading and saw me. They helped lift the bow end of the boat up a for second so I could take off the safety chain and launch. BTW I gave them a big thank you.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 12/5/2018 10:54 AM (#925041 - in reply to #920532)

Before condemning Bass guys or putting Muskie guys on a pedestal it's important to note it was a Bass tournament. I'm guessing not many Muskie tournament guys are stopping to help anybody either. Not defending anybody, just stating a fact.
esoxaddict
Posted 12/5/2018 12:01 PM (#925043 - in reply to #920532)

Considering the payouts on some of those bass circuits, I'd say you might be right on that.
NPike
Posted 12/5/2018 4:55 PM (#925064 - in reply to #925043)

esoxaddict - 12/5/2018 1:01 PM

Considering the payouts on some of those bass circuits, I'd say you might be right on that.

Years ago I used to fish bass tournaments and won a few, so got some $$. Gave up tournaments (at this stage) they remove the nature - relaxation aspect of fishing "which is equally important as catching fish". I've seen this BS going on with many - most Bass tournaments for > 25 years. Of course one can't stereotype all bass-tournament guys, some are very pleasant and respectful. But many are in a panic to fish, rude to others who can't launch in > 2 minutes, etc. Perhaps your(s) experience has been different I fish in NYS 99% of the time.
danmuskyman
Posted 2/4/2019 4:47 PM (#930029 - in reply to #920532)

I’ve jumped a few boats at the launch, always hoped someone would do the same if I ever need it. A few years ago I was out fishing the Madison chain one night and came back to the launch around dusk. As I came back to the dock I noticed a large group of people standing around, then I saw why. A full size van with an old ski boat hooked up was halfway submurged in the lake. The vehicle was still running even though it had water up to the back seats. A few guys came over to ask if I drove a large diesel. I told them no, but I had a tow strap in my F 150 and I’d be happy to unhook my trailer and try to pull him out. Everyone said no don’t bother it’s no use without a big diesel but I thought let’s just try anyway. It really was no problem and since his van was still running he could drive while I pulled. 30 seconds later his rig was out of the water. All these guys were dumbfounded that a regular half ton pickup could pull him out. The owner of the van said he’d been waiting almost half hour like that. I can’t believe all those guys with trucks wouldn’t even try to pull this guy out. Funny thing was the PMTT was coming up in a few days and a few of the guys standing around were well known musky guys and tv personalities!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)