Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Long sections of River dumping into reservoir in fall

Message Subject: Long sections of River dumping into reservoir in fall
Switchaxe
Posted 9/28/2018 2:58 PM (#919729)
Subject: Long sections of River dumping into reservoir in fall

So I love to fish a long section of river in the summer, that eventually leads to a reservoir. The river itself doesn't get much deeper than 10-15 feet deep, with of course some holes in it. It isn't until it dumps into a reservoir that you start to get deeper water and more vertical deep water structure. My question is, come this time of year in fall when they generally start to slide onto deeper vertical structure.....how far will musky actually travel? The fish that are in the river system in the summer...do they generally stay on the edges of the deeper weeds and in the holes? Or will they migrate a longer distance to access structure in the reservoir?
jerryb
Posted 10/6/2018 12:45 PM (#920389 - in reply to #919729)
Subject: RE: Long sections of River dumping into reservoir in fall

Your question isn't an easy one without seeing a map of the water however from what you've described I personally would only fish the river in the spring, early summer or fall. And even then in the fall I'd only check it out briefly and head to the deeper stuff. The weedline is a good place to start but know most of the adult muskies will be in deep water. By trolling the weedline it will tell you where you can expect to catch em on deep structure.

In most cases a weedline close to deep water (Structure, breaks and breaklines) will be the most productive. You will also know when an activity period begins and can then shift your focus to the deeper breaks and breaklines. Or I'm my case once a lake is known (mapped) I just stay on the good stuff all day and wait em out. By doing it that way yes you will sacrifice a few but your chances for a good one is better, imo.
Good luck

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)