Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> River Fishing

Message Subject: River Fishing
JayD
Posted 9/21/2018 11:39 AM (#918947)
Subject: River Fishing

I'm new here but have looked around for a while. I live in northern Maine and we have one watershed with muskie, basically a long river with a few larger lakes. I have been mildly successful in the upper reaches of this watershed where there are pools and places that concentrate fish.

Closer to home that same river is wide, featureless, darker, very low current, and generally ugly. The average depth is in the 14-15 feet range and deepest we can fish is 25ish and the water drops off relatively quickly near shore. Generally very little weed or wood cover and. in most places. a very flat bottom. The primary baitfish are yellow perch and fallfish. My success here at even seeing fishing is terrible.

What would you do to fish something like this?

ToddM
Posted 9/21/2018 11:49 AM (#918948 - in reply to #918947)
Subject: Re: River Fishing

Find the bait, look for current breaks and vertical jig deeper holes.
25homes
Posted 9/21/2018 3:13 PM (#918965 - in reply to #918947)

find the bait. is it a lock and #*^@ system if so fish the locks... If not try and find bait and deep break lines...Look for weed if tehre aren't any you might wanna troll it until you locate fish and mark spots the start zeroing in
CRK925
Posted 9/21/2018 7:02 PM (#918994 - in reply to #918947)

If it is featureless, current breaks of any kind become very important. A big bodied fish like a muskie will lay in wait in areas without heavy current, and use nearby current to bring bait fish to them.
CRK925
Posted 9/21/2018 11:01 PM (#919011 - in reply to #918947)

Cast angle also becomes important in relation to current. Muskies will typically face the current headfirst.
JayD
Posted 9/24/2018 7:48 AM (#919202 - in reply to #918947)
Subject: RE: River Fishing

Thanks for the help.

Not that anyone cares but I spent the day on this section of the river yesterday. Trolled in the neighborhood of 6 miles zigging and zagging. Never marked a single fish of any type. I did find a couple of deep holes that looked like they might hold promise and fished (casted) a few spots that also looked good. Nothing. Just my humble opinion but I didn't believe there are a lot of fish in this section of river and I certainly can't find those that are there. The complete lack of any type of structure makes it tough

I spoke with a Canadian who had a bass boat at his dock. He said he has lived there for 10 years and caught one muskie. I have no idea about the truth or his ability but I think I'll continue fishing upstream and catching.

Edited by JayD 9/24/2018 8:00 AM
TannerAE
Posted 9/24/2018 12:11 PM (#919243 - in reply to #918947)

not syaing the section your on does or doesn't have fish but you typically dont mark many of your traditional arches when fishing a river. the current forces almost all species down to the bottom where they dont have to work as hard. this makes it a little harder to find fertile areas. ya ever mark or see any minnows? if the dark water doesn't look healthy then it probably isn't, its hard to tell though
true tiger tamer
Posted 9/27/2018 12:05 AM (#919537 - in reply to #918947)

Try fishing a noisy tailspin topwater during low light conditions, as river fish are often a sucker for topwaters and they have a way of drawing fish from relatively long distances.
travelingfisherman
Posted 10/12/2018 8:35 PM (#920807 - in reply to #918947)

Lots of good advice here for river muskie fishing. Like others have said find the baitfish and the muskie will be close. Look for areas where there is timber in the water, eddies,deep holes, current breaks, and other areas river muskie like to be in.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)