Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> This weekends advice.

Message Subject: This weekends advice.
Fish4muskie
Posted 8/30/2018 10:26 AM (#917121)
Subject: This weekends advice.

I’m finally able to go up to Northern Wisconsin for my Musky trip(#*^@ Work schedule). I see I’m in a little bit of a bad weather forecast. Going to get 1-2” of rain Friday night followed by some blue bird sky and possible other storm chances mixed in. With the recent cool down (earlier this week with even more rain) and present forecast...where would you start the search? Do you think the fish will have pushed up shallow already or mostly hanging off the edge? I’m mostly fishing some shallow water lakes (max depth of 20-30ft) mostly weeds as the predominant cover. Any advice is appreciated. Technique you would start with etc. just trying to get my head right lol.
muskidiem
Posted 8/30/2018 2:10 PM (#917141 - in reply to #917121)
Subject: Re: This weekends advice.

check some lake link posts, mainly vilas and Oneida county. few hints there. but nothing beats being on the water and figuring it out. there are always weed fish, suspended fish. One day or hour to the next can be different. Don't plan according to the forecast, fish the current conditions. If you muskie hunt your head is already wrong. It takes an hour of casting with no results to start thinking straight again. I bet you checked 20 times today on what advice you'd get, so sorry all you got is this crap post.
you sound excited to fish; like a dumb and dumber before picture.
Fish4muskie
Posted 8/30/2018 2:51 PM (#917142 - in reply to #917121)

Yeah I usually get at least 2-3 trips in a season. This year nada and last year only a week. So I’m like a kid on Christmas Eve lol. I did ok last year and averaged a fish a day in the bag...I was just wondering and worrying(I tend to overthink these things lol)
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/30/2018 3:16 PM (#917146 - in reply to #917142)

Sometimes it takes a cold front to get fish moving this time of year. Never know.
ToddM
Posted 8/30/2018 6:14 PM (#917163 - in reply to #917121)

The weekend is warming up. Granted 70 now 76ish for the weekend. Clouds over the weekend with a chance of storms monday. Fish the weed edges and be on the water at Sunset. Pay attention to the moon times.
pklingen
Posted 8/30/2018 7:44 PM (#917169 - in reply to #917121)

go early and stay late, just fish!
Fish4muskie
Posted 9/4/2018 12:01 PM (#917497 - in reply to #917121)

Moved 10 fish. Hooked 4 and caught 2. Biggest was 37” and the other I didn’t measure but was about the same
SkiNoob
Posted 9/4/2018 1:54 PM (#917513 - in reply to #917497)

Fish4muskie - 9/4/2018 12:01 PM

Moved 10 fish. Hooked 4 and caught 2. Biggest was 37” and the other I didn’t measure but was about the same

I don't think you can ask for much better than that! (well you can, but you know what I'm saying.)
JBlanck
Posted 9/4/2018 2:12 PM (#917515 - in reply to #917497)

So where did you find the fish? Shallow or on weed edge?
Fish4muskie
Posted 9/4/2018 3:21 PM (#917527 - in reply to #917121)

I fished both from shallow to deep and saw a few shallow but the biters were on the deep edge 12 ft of water and were on medium sized blades. I tried topwater a lot on my rod and didn’t move much. Had my brother mostly throwing blades and he had the most action (5 of the 10 fish) my future son in law had success on blades also. He actually hooked the biggest fish in the first 10 casts of the trip (didn’t have the net engaged yet-rookie move) and we lost it at the net (he dropped the rod tip causing slack...low 40’s fish). Showgirls were the hot bait. Nothing on cowgirls,mepps,weagle,hawg wobbler,or any soft plastics. Had one swipe at a pacemaker but didn’t come back.

Had one fun moment though. My brother who isn’t much of a Muskie fisherman (he looses focus after awhile and gets lazy) was making an L turn and had a blowup as he pulled the lure out. I told him “Figure 8!” He sticks his spinner back in water and does like 2 ovals while saying grumpily “that fish is long gone l..I *^%#ed up! And the fish came back and blew up his lure again!! Which he missed. But we thought it was funny. They both stopped being lazy on their 8’s for awhile at least lol.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)