Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Just Dreaming... Tuffy 2060T

Reply New post
Message Subject: Just Dreaming... Tuffy 2060T
curleytail
Posted 8/18/2018 11:48 AM (#916005)
Subject: Just Dreaming... Tuffy 2060T

I'm currently quite happy with my current Tuffy 1760GT, but sometimes long trips to big water make me daydream about bigger boats.

I've had the thought cross my mind about a Tuffy 2060T. Sounds like it can top out in the mid to upper 40mph range with a 150 and fairly heavy load, and hole shot should be faster than my current rig. Any thought on how a 115 would do? I'm guessing go big or go home with a 150 but just curious.

Anybody run a 150 tiller with just a hydraulic steering lock (no powered steering assist). Is it do-able or no way?

Does anybody around here have one, or ever been in one? Any experiences?

What downsides would I notice moving to a boat of this size? Will it draft enough water that pulling up on sandy beaches on LOTW will require wading a few yards to shore? I can usually get the 1760 in close enough that it's just a step or short hop out to dry land without getting wet feet. Would it feel any less maneuverable while running the trolling motor or anything like that? Would that boat sit much higher off the water than a 1760?

Any other downsides for a multispecies guy that's skewed towards muskies?

How about this: would a 150 on that boat cruising at 25 mph (and whatever rpm that would be) get significantly worse fuel economy than a 75 on a 1760 running at higher 4500+ rpm at 23-25 mph? Or would I possibly not notice a drastic difference?

It's gonna be a while before I change boats. Maybe quite a long while. But I always like to dream about the next big thing and was wondering if anybody on here knows much about this boat.

Edited by curleytail 8/18/2018 11:53 AM
Brian Hoffies
Posted 8/18/2018 8:54 PM (#916042 - in reply to #916005)
Subject: RE: Just Dreaming... Tuffy 2060T

Well, thats a bunch of questions.

I'll answer some and confuse you with some. First, I have owned a Tuffy tiller. I have owned a Skeeter 20' tiller. My Skeeter had a 115 HP Yamaha with no power steering. Once you trimmed up to the sweet spot (27 mph) it was very easy to handle. It was a low 40 mph boat. Very stable, very fun to fish out of. If you are going to a 20' Tuffy IMO you will have less beam and a very good ride. I see no reason why a 115 hp motor wouldn't handle that boat. All that said, if I was going to buy a 20' tiller boat (any brand) it would have to be powered by Merc with their big handle power steering. I would lean towards the 150 hp 4 stroke.

Gas mileage from a boat? For get about it, once you cross the 16' 60 hp point there is no gas mileage. The thing is what use is all those ponies if you don't let them run once in a while. LOL You open these motors up and they will guzzle the gas.

I'm a die hard 20' fiberglass tiller guy. In fact they are rigging a 2014 20' Lund Pro V glass tiller for me right now. That will have the 200 hp Verado. But you need to keep in mind I fish the Kabetogama, Namakin, Rainy, Crane chain of lakes in Minnesota almost exclusively.

For whatever my opinion is worth the best riding boat I have ever owned has been a Tuffy. I've owned Ranger, Crestliner, Nitro, Spectrum, Tuffy & Skeeter.
curleytail
Posted 8/19/2018 10:07 AM (#916065 - in reply to #916042)
Subject: RE: Just Dreaming... Tuffy 2060T

In hindsight that was a lot of random questions.

Regarding the fuel economy, I get what you are saying. They all stink. The way I'm looking at it is I just wouldn't want my gas budget on a week at LOTW to go from $250 to $1000. I'm assuming a bigger boat and motor is going to burn more gas, I just wouldn't want it to be drastic. Most of the time I'm cruising rather than running all out. The hope would be the bigger boat would cruise faster than my current rig but be running lower rpm to do so... so hopefully not guzzling gas TOO bad.

A 150 with power steering would be ideal. Curious about a 115 though as that could possibly open up motor options on the used market, and in a way I have mixed feelings about running the powered hydraulic steering (if something in the system crashes are you dead in the water with no ability to steer?)

I have the old Titan steering lock system on my 1760 now and like it, but not sure what doubling the horsepower would be like.

Edited by curleytail 8/19/2018 10:08 AM
MD75
Posted 8/20/2018 3:57 PM (#916128 - in reply to #916005)
Subject: Re: Just Dreaming... Tuffy 2060T

Curlytail- I have a 90hp tiller with hydraulic power steering and wouldn't want to go without it. I can't imagine running a larger motor without power steering. I had the bolt that holds it in place break a few weeks ago and ran it with out for a couple of days...so if you are concerned with the system crashing you would not be dead in the water. Just remove the bolt that links the motor to the controls. Take care...
curleytail
Posted 8/21/2018 10:11 PM (#916245 - in reply to #916005)

Matt, good to know about being able to run manually if needed. That was one of my worries with the system. My other resistance to the system is running a separate battery to run the power steering. Lots of extra weight to deal with to ooerate the power steering if a 2nd battery really is necessary.

I do wish power steering options were available for Yamaha or Suzuki. I'm sure Mercury is making excellent motors though too. Nice to have choices though. Maybe one of these years some of the other brands will come up with their own power steering option.

Or maybe the new Tuffy owners can develop their own unique steering option like Warrior did. Sounds nice but not sure if the market is there for it.
sukrchukr
Posted 8/22/2018 7:42 AM (#916269 - in reply to #916005)

Ive underpowered a boat in the past, very disappointed in all aspects of performance... I learned my lesson and would recommend the max HP the boat allows. As far as your weight concern for the extra battery for the Hydraulic steering, the boat youre talking about probably weighs over 2000lbs and an extra 50lbs for a battery is irrelevant. My buddy had a 20` Tuffy tiller in the past and he loved it, but he did outfit it with a 115hp, said he wish he would have went bigger
undersized
Posted 8/22/2018 9:05 AM (#916293 - in reply to #916245)

Maybe one of these years some of the other brands will come up with their own power steering option...Sounds nice but not sure if the market is there for it.

Within the last 2 years both Skeeter and Ranger have discontinued their tiller models, which suggests their isn't enough of a market for them to compete in it. Realistically that narrows 20' tiller options down to just Lund and Alumacraft for aluminum or Warrior and Yar-craft for fiberglass if you're looking for a hull designed to be a tiller, and a couple like Tuffy that will convert a console hull into a tiller. Warrior has their steering system, and Yar-craft played around with a steering wheel tiller layout, but pretty much Mercury is the only motor game in town anymore.

North of 8
Posted 8/22/2018 11:53 AM (#916309 - in reply to #916293)

About 9 or 10 years ago the since retired Chief of Staff for Mercury Marine addressed my Kiwanis group in Fond du Lac. He said the big tiller motors were produced because a number of their pro staff like Al Lindner liked them. He said Mercury actually lost money on that segment of its product line. It was not a big number and he said they really valued the input of their pro staff and were happy to produce the motors because they tended to go to hard core fishermen.
TCESOX
Posted 8/22/2018 12:56 PM (#916321 - in reply to #916005)

Larson makes a 20 ft. tiller, and if you choose Merc. for your power, it has tiller assist. Lund was making a glass tiller, but I don't know if they still are. I have an 1825 Pro Guide with a 90 hp merc. I can't imagine that I could even notice if I had tiller assist, as it moves like butter as is. Haven't had a 200 hp tiller in my hand, so perhaps it would be of more help with a motor that big.
curleytail
Posted 8/22/2018 2:00 PM (#916333 - in reply to #916005)

At this point I'd like to stick with Tuffy. Been very happy with my 1760 and there's some traits of the 2060 I like compared to some other boats. Definately would like a maxed boat with a 150. Part of the reason for the upgrade would be improved hole shot and speed. I think a 115 might be faster than a 75 on my 1760, but overall it might be marginal where I think a 150 would be a significant improvement.

Does anybody know how long Mertens had their power steering system? Finding a used model with a 150 Yamaha or Suzuki with the Mertens power steering would probably be my most ideal situation. But I'm not sure how old that rig might be now.

I agree with some other comments in this thread that talk about 20 foot tillers being a rare item. Maybe I should someday just go to a wheel boat but there's a lot I like about running tillers.

Edited by curleytail 8/22/2018 2:02 PM
MD75
Posted 8/22/2018 2:28 PM (#916335 - in reply to #916333)

FYI- My boats a 2004 and has the Mertens system. Not sure when they quit producing them.
NickD
Posted 8/22/2018 2:55 PM (#916339 - in reply to #916335)

I’m fairly certain that the Mercury takeover of Mertens happened in 2010. Mercury messed up the technology when they made their design changes. A separate battery for powering the steering system is a problem in the 20ft tillers. A 150 is hardly overpowered plus who wants the extra battery anyways? I still don’t understand why they changed it to the pump being on constantly vs the mertens that only runs as needed.

One thing to be aware of with the 20ft tillers compared to your current boat is that they sit much higher in the bow. Parked my boat by a few 620Ts and it is amazing how much higher the bow sits on the 620T. The 2060T looks very similar from pictures. Depending on what you want that can be good or bad. Much better for big water trolling but far worse for casting.
Badgerpat1
Posted 8/23/2018 2:24 PM (#916446 - in reply to #916005)

I'd look at the Warrior 2090 as well. A boat designed to be a tiller from the ground up. Very happy with mine. I have owned three fishing boats since 2010. I have owned a Tuffy X-190, Ranger 618 and my Warrior. The quality of the Warrior is really, really good.
I know several people who own the 2090 and are happy with 150's on them. They run very nice. I maxed mine out with a 250XS and won't look back. By the way...you can also get ANY brand of motor on it. Merc., Suzi, Yami or ETEC. That is such a plus. Yes, if you go with other brands...you will be using the Warrior power steering system. It's a very nice system and its included with any motor you buy. Many folks love that system. I did opt for the merc. system and so far I really like it. I also went with the trim tabs...simply a great option. Dream of your 2060T...but also look at a 2090. I'd suggest you test drive both boats then pick the best one FOR YOU.

Edited by Badgerpat1 8/23/2018 2:45 PM
Brian Hoffies
Posted 8/23/2018 8:57 PM (#916488 - in reply to #916005)

I found the narrow beam of my Tuffy easier to fish from then my Skeeter. Also the Lund I just picked up today is very wide so i'm sure I will like the Tuffy over that for fishing also. However.....the room and ride is pretty good on those wide beam boats.
curleytail
Posted 8/23/2018 10:16 PM (#916494 - in reply to #916005)

There's a lot I like about Tuffy boats in general. But after reading Nick's reply I did a little looking and it does look like the 2060 sits with a fairly nose up posture at rest. That wouldn't seem ideal for running the trolling motor in big wind. I couldn't find much for good pictures though. If anybody has some good profile pics of a 2060 at rest I'd be interested to see them.

Years ago I remember seeing what looked like a huge Warrior tiller. I though it looked like that boat sat very high above the water at rest but it had to be more than 12 years ago now. Badger, how would you say your 2090 sits at rest and controls in wind? My preference isn't really for the wide gunnels and I wish there was an open spot to lay rods on moving from spot to spot, BUT the long rod shelfs are appealing for musky rods and it looks like they have excellent storage. Having motor choices WITH power steering is a big plus too. The switch to turn the motor seems a little different but I bet easy to get used to and I like that it can be powered off also. The Warrior is worth looking into.

Tucker

Edited by curleytail 8/23/2018 10:19 PM
Badgerpat1
Posted 8/24/2018 7:29 AM (#916501 - in reply to #916005)

Honestly, I think the high bow is a non-issue. I generally fish in the back, but my fishing partners had no problem executing the figure 8. The length of today's rods really help. I'm five foot 7 on a good day. Working and releasing fish really isn't a problem. We fished in some very stiff winds in July at LOW. The boat tracked well. I had similar concerns, but I worked with Mr. Tanner Wildes at Mr. Marine. Tanner has put "just a few" Muskies in his boat. After a couple of test rides I was sold. If you PM me, I'll be happy to send you his contact information. The other boat that is out there is Yarcraft. I looked at them and just didn't like the rear layout. With the addition of a small Just en Case, the rear casting deck on the Warrior is pretty nice for a Tiller boat. Lund makes nice boats, but I simply enjoy glass boats. Yes I love my boat...most guys do after they spend money on them:) I really encourage you to start kicking waves in each of the boats you are looking at.

Edited by Badgerpat1 8/24/2018 7:35 AM
sworrall
Posted 8/24/2018 8:11 AM (#916508 - in reply to #916005)

Mr. Marine
532 Water St, Fond du Lac, WI 54935
Hours: Open · Closes 5PM
Phone: (920) 921-7070

Tanner is a great guy and will get you on track to your next new boat.
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 8/25/2018 2:31 AM (#916590 - in reply to #916005)

If you're really serious about 20' tillers you're doing yourself a huge disservice by not looking at a Warrior 2090. Not saying Tuffy doesn't make a good boat but I can hold 30 rods in my Warrior and still have room for more and they can straight up handle rough water.

Edited by Pat Hoolihan 8/25/2018 2:33 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)