Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Smoker Tackle SS Shad

Message Subject: Smoker Tackle SS Shad
Dkeep5
Posted 8/17/2018 1:04 PM (#915915)
Subject: Smoker Tackle SS Shad

Anyone having troubles with all the paint falling off the Smoker Tackle SS Shads? Love the bait but the last few I have purchased the paint has been falling off before they even get bit. Baits are stored in a Just Encase deck box
PredLuR
Posted 8/17/2018 1:32 PM (#915917 - in reply to #915915)
Subject: Re: Smoker Tackle SS Shad

Buddy is a big fan of em but he has same thing happen to all of his. Bottom will crack and peel. Issue is the front and back hooks are connected with a wire thru a slot in the bottom of the belly and once that goes the back hook doesn't stay put and that wire bends easily. Only way to fix is epoxy it all back together and push wire back into slot. I don't have a pic showing this. Fish don't seem to care, they still get eaten.
Jeremy
Posted 8/17/2018 2:41 PM (#915921 - in reply to #915915)

I have two of them and can't say I've had that problem. Neither one have taken a fish yet tho (aside from some large pike) so here's hoping... Mine are approx. 4 yrs. old.
Sudszee
Posted 8/17/2018 2:45 PM (#915922 - in reply to #915921)

Great baits. Short lived. Balsa wood
Cedar
Posted 8/17/2018 3:24 PM (#915929 - in reply to #915915)
Subject: RE: Smoker Tackle SS Shad

Kyle makes a good baits. Have at least a half dozen of them from new this year to old, and 2 with with 1 crack in the finish on their side (older). Not an issue for me, and they aren't taking on water. The only one I have with the finish coming off is because of teeth. Have caught more fish on that one, than all of the others combined, and just keep putting on a little epoxy as needed. That one has good Mojo, and will stay as is no matter how much or little finish is left.
jdsplasher
Posted 8/18/2018 6:51 AM (#915977 - in reply to #915929)
Subject: RE: Smoker Tackle SS Shad

Can't  beat a well made Balsa Bait. Glad we have a few guys still willing to work with Balsa, as most lure makers have gone to plastic. Be happy Kyle is willing to work with this material, and some of the best action baits,(balsa) out there!!!

Wood can be sanded down and repainted/ clear coated. Special baits. It is common for wood baits with clear coat to absorb water, and crack. Balsa baits JUST seem to make it worth the purchase.

Kyle is a great guy, contact him with your issues. Sure he will work with you!

JD

mnmusky
Posted 8/18/2018 7:15 AM (#915982 - in reply to #915977)

love ss shads. so many fish caught on them. I ran a bunch til the lead was showing on the sides. still working as they were, Kyle reached out to me and offered to fix them and he did. pretty amazing customer service.
dway
Posted 8/18/2018 8:14 AM (#915992 - in reply to #915915)

They get torn up easy because they get bit. And yes I have had issues before I catch a fish with them also. SS Shad MD is one of my top five lures. I will continue to buy as long as they are made. Thank you Kyle!
figure 8
Posted 8/18/2018 5:53 PM (#916025 - in reply to #915992)

My old ones were good. New ones paint fell off before they ever got hit. Was out with a guide in June his had most all the paint off his SS shads also said they were new baits.
So must be a recent paint issue
Reelwise
Posted 8/19/2018 11:02 AM (#916066 - in reply to #915915)

If your SS Shad's aren't cracked... they need to be used more.

Best thumper there is.

You can always take a sharpie or some spray paint to them once all the epoxy falls off. They work either way.

Good luck!
Dkeep5
Posted 8/20/2018 4:09 PM (#916129 - in reply to #915915)

Thanks for all the responses. I agree I love the bait and will continue to use them I was just curious if there were more people or if it something with my tackle storage.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)