Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Do water temperatures cool down after a few days of thunderstorms?

Message Subject: Do water temperatures cool down after a few days of thunderstorms?
TMuskyFisher
Posted 8/16/2018 8:44 PM (#915857)
Subject: Do water temperatures cool down after a few days of thunderstorms?

Title
esoxaddict
Posted 8/16/2018 9:06 PM (#915859 - in reply to #915857)
Subject: Re: Do water temperatures cool down after a few days of thunderstorms?

Surface temps are just that... It only takes one cool night, some rain, or even some wind to stir up the surface enough to go from low '80's back down to 76 - 77. "crap it's too hot" to "oh, we're fine!" is a fine line that a day of weather can change.
jlong
Posted 8/17/2018 8:53 AM (#915889 - in reply to #915859)

EA is correnct to a certain extent.  However, you need to consider the temperature profile of the lake.  Peak summer is different than spring, for sure.  Early in the season, you might hit 80F on the surface but 5 feet down it is only 65F.  A little wind and wave action can quickly knock surface temps down to 65 or 70F in a matter of mintues/hours.  SAme lake in mid August might have 80F water temps down 5-10 feet.  It will take a much more significant weather change to mix up the cooler water farther below... or pull enough energy out of the lake to cool the surface temps. 
North of 8
Posted 8/17/2018 4:24 PM (#915938 - in reply to #915857)

I would think the type of lake would make a difference as well. I live on a flowage, with three creeks feeding it and a continuous outflow. The lakes are shallow so turnover is rapid as far as water in/water out. If we have a cold front come through north of us and dump and inch or so of rain in a short period of time, it cools the lakes in the chain pretty quickly. Rain does not have to be directly on the lakes, could be a few miles north but the wetlands fill and drain.
25homes
Posted 8/21/2018 10:03 AM (#916156 - in reply to #915857)

River was 78 when I launched 4am by noon the water temp was hitting the 83-84 degrees mark on the surface. Was told 3 days later surface temp was as high as 87 I went back yesterday after we had a couple fronts move through the area and yesterday at 8am water was 74.6 and only went up to 76.8 at 3pm. So def has an effect even though I am sure its different river to lake. I was actually shocked to see the river at those temps
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)