Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Stupid wheel bearings

Message Subject: Stupid wheel bearings
Junkman
Posted 8/13/2018 7:50 AM (#915377)
Subject: Stupid wheel bearings

It’s always a stupid mistake and worse when you know better...lectured to others even. After hundreds of posts and dozens of articles, I’ve told everyone who would listen that wheel bearings would ruin your trip sooner or later. It’s the weakest link period. I don’t care what trailer you have, the bearings are undersized, end of story. Most don’t put thousands of miles at freeway speeds on a trailer, but I do, and three years without a failure is pretty good. You simply have to maintain this trip-threatening pot hole. So, being a dumb ass, using someone else’s trailer, I trusted their promise of having maintenance covered and end up (AGAIN) for the third time broke down with shredded bearings far from home. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Your wheel bearings are going to fail, check them often.
Smell_Esox
Posted 8/13/2018 8:19 AM (#915381 - in reply to #915377)
Subject: Re: Stupid wheel bearings

To be clear here, it's not the wheel bearings that are stupid. LOL. Honestly, that sucks. Sorry you had to deal with it.
Gottagofast
Posted 8/13/2018 8:25 AM (#915382 - in reply to #915377)

Keep a few tools and an entire spare hub. With that you can be back up and running in under an hour.
North of 8
Posted 8/13/2018 11:11 AM (#915412 - in reply to #915377)

Two weeks ago I was outside of Juneau, AK on the road going to the public launch and a guy was over on the side with a large sport fishing boat. Narrow, twisting road with a lot of traffic. Thought he had a flat but when we came back later, saw it was the hub.
First the trailer was a single axle, never a good idea for such a large, heavy boat. Second, it looked like the trailer was pretty shabby while the boat was neat and well maintained. Doesn't do any good to have nice, well maintained boat if you can't get to the water because your trailer is crap. Next morning boat was still there, with a repair vehicle there to work on the trailer at 5:30 AM when we were headed to the airport. Given the price of everything in Juneau, I am guessing the guy will take care of his bearings/hubs in the future.

Edited by North of 8 8/13/2018 11:15 AM
Pepper
Posted 8/13/2018 11:49 AM (#915415 - in reply to #915377)

Had my share of tire blow outs. two in one trip. Now I keep close track of the born on dates for tires. Also have the bearings checked at winterization time.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/13/2018 11:52 AM (#915416 - in reply to #915412)

I grease mine often, but I've been nervous this year. Now you're making me more nervous. Going on 5 years and a lot of miles.
Slamr
Posted 8/13/2018 1:34 PM (#915423 - in reply to #915377)

Didnt service mine when I knew I should. Boat is now in Superior, WI. and I have to drive 400 miles to go pick it up! Lesson learned!

BNelson
Posted 8/13/2018 1:37 PM (#915424 - in reply to #915377)

I get mine repacked or replaced every July by my trusty mechanic at Niday Marine. having bearing issues sucks. Best to get them done every year if you make a few long trips...
MuskyTime
Posted 8/13/2018 2:18 PM (#915430 - in reply to #915377)

I have a spare set of bearing races and pre packed bearings in a sealed bag in my boat at all times. Just never know!
Junkman
Posted 8/13/2018 5:21 PM (#915451 - in reply to #915430)

Yes, spare bearings would be nice, but you better have the hub too. A thread on what you carry in spare might be fun. I thought I was always the king of spares. Biggest, bulky and pricey is the bow mount, but I carry one. Most endearing to the guy who needs one is the plastic liner for the prop shaft. Bury a prop in a floater and spin the shaft free will save a lower unit, but leave you dead in the water. I once handed one to a guy in Kentucky the night before a tournament and, if he would have had a daughter, I think he would have swapped her for it. What’s your favorite spare?
BNelson
Posted 8/13/2018 5:29 PM (#915453 - in reply to #915451)

fav spare, I half jokingly say I'd take a spare boat to lotw… some guy said they do that! lol.
undersized
Posted 8/14/2018 8:13 AM (#915511 - in reply to #915377)

For the last 5 years I've carried an entire replacement hub kit, with the bearings pre-packed. Store in a plastic tote along with paper towels, grease and grease gun, and a rubber mallet. Never had to use it, but it's always in the truck for long trips. Cheap insurance! I'll post a picture from home tonight.
VMS
Posted 8/14/2018 9:14 AM (#915518 - in reply to #915377)

Hiya,

Having Traveled down 40 miles of dirt road 70 miles from the nearest town, having a good "Darn-it!!" box is a good thing. Mine always goes with regardless if I am 10 miles from home or 1200 miles from home.

In mine, I carry the following:
A set of Bearings
Replacement Seals for the hubs
Extra cotter pins
Rags
oil for bearings (oil bath hubs), or grease for greased bearings
splice electrical connectors
bar ties
Electrical tape

For tools:
Screw drivers (phillips and flat)
needle nose pliars
hammer
block of wood
seal puller
adjustable end wrench big enough for castle nut

I also carry a trailer jack...the kind you put under the axle and drive just a touch to raise the tire.

In the truck, I now carry an battery powered impact wrench (very very nice to have), but also carry a T-Bar as well...just in case.

The best thing anyone can do is preventative maintenance...repack bearings each fall, and if done correctly, should be of no issue as inspection of bearings are dealt with at that time. In my 30 years of travel with boat trailers, I have never had a a bearing failure. It's not worth the risk. Ruin an bearing on a trailer is one thing, but if you damage the axle spindle, it can be catastrophic to a trip...

The worst scenario we have ever had on that trip was one trailer on the 40 mile dirt road broke the U-bolts holding the axle on the spring. Broke the axle, had to have one built, and the boat and trailer had to stay along the road for about 3 hours while the remainder of the crew went and unloaded another boat, came back to transfer the downed boat to another trailer, while a guy waited with the boat in case someone though of stealing things...which the boat was approached. Cold and rainy, so not a fun day whatsoever.

Granted, most of our trips to muskie water are on decent roads and not anywhere near as remote, but regardless it is down time...away from fishing, and dealing with something that might have been spotted earlier and dealt with before the trip. Not always perfect, but it can prevent some things from happening...

Steve

RyanJoz
Posted 8/14/2018 9:37 AM (#915521 - in reply to #915377)

I pull the hubs and inspect the bearings/repack 2x a year. I put a lot of miles on the trailer and get about 7 years on a set of bearings on average. Dirt, water, and loose castle nuts are typically good indicators of an impending failure before you even pull the bearings from the hub. Discolored grease is normal, but if you feel any grit or see sparkles in the grease, you need to act fast. I also touch the hubs every time we stop to be sure I don't have one overheating. Quick check at a gas station, restaurant, boat ramp, or the garage. It could save your hide on a long trip.

It is certainly a lot easier to disassemble parts that are still intact vs. shredded bearings and spindles.

You should also pick one grease and stick with it. Many times there are compatibility issues between the thickener in the grease that limit the life more than mechanical issues.

Edited by RyanJoz 8/14/2018 10:58 AM
Pepper
Posted 8/14/2018 9:39 AM (#915522 - in reply to #915377)

It would be nice to know how to use all that stuff. I don't, that is why I have AAA RV plus.
VMS
Posted 8/14/2018 9:53 AM (#915527 - in reply to #915522)

If you are in the twin cities, I'd be happy to take you through it... It really is not a hard job at all.. Takes about 2 hours total at most...

Steve
chasintails
Posted 8/14/2018 9:57 AM (#915529 - in reply to #915377)

Good advice, remote trips require extra planning and preparation. You better have an extra or be able to deal without it.
Things I brought with on the trip up north this year. Extra bilge pump, extra prop and attachment kit for the min kota, extra prop and insert for the outboard, back up battery charger, extra fuses, and things needed to fix electrical issues. Bearing buddies, and the previously mentioned hub and all needed replacement parts for it. Grease gun. Tarp
ghoti
Posted 8/14/2018 10:01 AM (#915530 - in reply to #915423)

Slamr - 8/13/2018 1:34 PM

Didnt service mine when I knew I should. Boat is now in Superior, WI. and I have to drive 400 miles to go pick it up! Lesson learned

On the bright side; if it happened on the way home, it didn't ruin your trip. Plus it gives you an excuse for another trip up north.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 8/14/2018 10:06 AM (#915535 - in reply to #915377)

VMS will help you figure it out. I had a couple issues within the 1st year of having a boat; undersized tires, blown bearing on a trip that ruined it, so learn this stuff. AAA will only tow you, finding a mechanic to fix the trailer on a Friday is different.
Softwater
Posted 8/14/2018 1:31 PM (#915573 - in reply to #915377)

One thing I might suggest to go along with the aluminum half-moon drive up style jack, (or even instead of)...buy a cheap hydraulic jack to get the axle high enough off the ground so you can slip the notch of the drive-on type under the axle and it'll work easier (don't ask how I know). Keep a couple pieces of 2x4s tucked away with the jack for tire chocks (or extra lift) too. I helped a fisherman with a flat trailer tire in Trigs parking lot, and only had his truck scissors jack. Enough stroke to get the flat off, but not enough stroke by itself to get the new tire on. Scrounged for some simple pallet pieces "borrowed" from their receiving dock to give it more lift. Worked, but a simple hyd jack would have made it a painless 5 minute swap.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HyperTough-2-Ton-Hydraulic-Trolley-Jack/3...
fishblood
Posted 8/17/2018 4:34 PM (#915941 - in reply to #915377)

One of the most often over looked parts of hub maintenance is the wear sleeve. Lots of people don't realize it comes off and think its part of the spindle. Any kind of pit or nick and your inner seal will eventually leak. Wear sleeves are very cheap. Can be a pia to get off, but it needs to be replaced if it shows signs of wear.

Edited by fishblood 8/17/2018 4:35 PM
JMacD
Posted 8/18/2018 6:39 AM (#915976 - in reply to #915377)

Not much mention of bearing buddies. Thoughts about them, please.
RyanJoz
Posted 8/18/2018 6:53 AM (#915978 - in reply to #915941)

None of my trailers have ever had speedi-sleeves. Is this something that manufacturers are installing on new axles now?
btfish
Posted 8/18/2018 7:41 AM (#915985 - in reply to #915978)

Question?

Every time I make a trip to LOTW I pump some grease in the bearing mainly to check for water. If I see any water I tear it apart prior to the trip. In my 30+ years of making the trip several times a year (knock on wood) we have not had any issues. To me the buddy bearings really work well.

But my question is if something goes bad isn't it highly likely the axle is going to get damaged too? So what is carrying a spare hub really going to solve? The reason I am asking is because I have never carried one but am questioning if I should.

Bearing/trailer issues are not fun.
horsehunter
Posted 8/18/2018 7:51 AM (#915987 - in reply to #915377)

Pumping more grease in a BB is no substitute for proper inspection and maintenance
btfish
Posted 8/18/2018 7:59 AM (#915988 - in reply to #915987)

Horse hunter you are absolutely correct. But two or three pumps of new grease into a wheel bearing that is packed full will push water out if it is present. It will absolutely not remove all the water so if this happens a complete tear down and repack is in order. But it is a very quick and easy way to periodically check for water through out the year.
olddog
Posted 8/18/2018 8:36 AM (#915996 - in reply to #915978)

Never heard of speedy sleeves,
Posted 8/18/2018 1:02 PM (#916009 - in reply to #915976)

JMacD - 8/18/2018 6:39 AM

Not much mention of bearing buddies. Thoughts about them, please.
only way to go.
VMS
Posted 8/18/2018 8:04 PM (#916037 - in reply to #915377)

Caution..

Bearing buddies have a better deal than a normal grease cup, but water does and will get in over time. Pumping in more grease will not push water out as some may think. Water will separate, but if the hub is full of grease it has nowhere to settle.. it will not just squeeze out with a couple of pumps. Droplets will always remain, and this is a recipe for disaster. If the hub is not pulled apart cleaned and repacked. That water will reach your bearings and will rust....

Bottom line is maintenance as stated. You drop that rig in the water once or twice a year, the bearings are best to be repacked at season end.

Prevent a costly break down that could ruin a trip by repacking each fall.

Steve
horsehunter
Posted 8/18/2018 8:52 PM (#916041 - in reply to #915377)

I have my bearings done every spring by a young guy that comes and does it in my driveway ( why do we park in the driveway and drive on the parkway?) I fish till the middle of Dec. so don't have the heart to have him do it then. We have never found evidence of water he always replaces back seals and silacon's the dust cover before replacing. Used to tape the dust cover after replacing. I change bearings every 2 or 3 years no matter how good they look.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)