Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Fishfinder for newbie

Message Subject: Fishfinder for newbie
Halte
Posted 8/10/2018 11:09 AM (#915238)
Subject: Fishfinder for newbie

Hello! Guys, the question is short. Do I need to buy a fishfinder and how to read it? I just started fishing and I'm new.
Thnx

Edited by Halte 8/13/2018 3:03 AM
14ledo81
Posted 8/10/2018 11:13 AM (#915240 - in reply to #915238)
Subject: RE: Fishfinder for newbie

Halte - 8/10/2018 11:09 AM

Hello! Guys, the question is short. Do you need to buy a fishfinder and how to read it?
Thnx

The answer is a bit shorter than the question.

Yes.
wooglin
Posted 8/10/2018 11:14 AM (#915241 - in reply to #915238)
Subject: Re: Fishfinder for newbie

In all honesty, I don't know how we got this far without them. Not that they 'find fish', but it allows you to see structure, holes, reefs and thus, find fish - all that in addition to seeing the humps and shadows of the actual fish.

If you don't have one, then stick the old ways: points, rock piles, islands, weed beds and weed lines.

When I fish in my friends boat who has a helix 12, we're so much better off. When I fish in my dads little 14'er with a 'depth finder', it's so much harder.
BMuskyX
Posted 8/13/2018 10:10 AM (#915400 - in reply to #915238)

I'm not a tech guy at all so I have two Lowrance elite 5's in my boat. The reason I chose those is that I looked for affordable units that had GPS and map chip options. Just my 2 cents...

Jaimy
muskidiem
Posted 8/14/2018 11:36 AM (#915557 - in reply to #915238)

you will want to know depth, temp, structure, and from there you can pay for a lot of extras. to stay current you have to have gps and a thousand extra features you'll never use. I like my helix 5gps for about 250. my 2cents. Find your brand, options and price.
BruceKY
Posted 8/14/2018 4:04 PM (#915599 - in reply to #915238)
Subject: RE: Fishfinder for newbie

You absolutely will benefit from having a fish finder. You will also want it to have GPS for the map, navigation, marking and returning to waypoints. Traditional sonar is great for looking under the boat and when you learn how to read it you will be able to identify depth, bottom type, cover, bait and even maybe see fish. Down imaging is similar but much clearer and easier to interpret. Side imaging will allow you to see to both sides of the boat when moving. Side imaging really shines when exploring new water. You will be able to move across an area and quickly identify structure, cover, bait, and fish. Even on water you know you will be able to quickly tell if there is bait present or not in an area. There is defiantly a learning curve to getting the most out of it but there are plenty of videos to teach you.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)