Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> One, good, thing...

Message Subject: One, good, thing...
Reelwise
Posted 7/27/2018 10:14 PM (#913588)
Subject: One, good, thing...

Hi all.

I would like to ask a favor from everyone. Please.

If you all can post just one thing... one thing that MuskieFIRST has helped you with... I think it would mean a lot to so many people.

You all have helped so many people.

Thank you.
jdsplasher
Posted 7/28/2018 12:00 AM (#913591 - in reply to #913588)
Subject: RE: One, good, thing...

Muskie first has helped everyone knowing and updating the results of the PMTT!

Muskie first has also informed us How Many Posts ToodM has over the life of MF;)

And Jay Cutler, Will NEVER be an Elite NFL QB!!!!!!! Before or After his Break!

JD

Edited by jdsplasher 7/28/2018 12:07 AM
danlaboucane
Posted 7/28/2018 7:05 AM (#913597 - in reply to #913591)
Subject: Re: One, good, thing...

muskiefirst has helped me make better choices about boat and gear to hunt for the mighty musky .

thanks everyone
horsehunter
Posted 7/28/2018 7:34 AM (#913599 - in reply to #913588)

No matter how many times Reelwise says a banana is an apple, Jay Cutler Will NEVER be an Elite NFL QB
14ledo81
Posted 7/28/2018 7:58 AM (#913601 - in reply to #913588)

Muskiefirst is where I researched what kind of boat to buy. I was told (based upon budget and lakes I fish) to buy a Tuffy Esox Ltd. It took me a little while to find one, but it was the best boat purchase I have ever made. It has been a very nice boat for my uses.
ToddM
Posted 7/28/2018 8:38 AM (#913604 - in reply to #913588)

When i started musky fishing in late 97, i found muskiecentral. At the time a couple of guys names Steve Worrall and Jason Smith were handling the musky end of that website. They decided to start up muskiefirst a very short time later and the rest is history. With the exception of my dad and a buddy of mine i have known since i was 4, everyone i have met, fished with, places i have fished(with about 2 exceptions) i can trace back to this site with no more than 2 degrees of separation. I can even trace back places i have gone and fished multispecies, even salmon back to this site. Muskiefirst has had a profound impact on my life for almost 20 years.
tundrawalker00
Posted 7/28/2018 10:26 AM (#913611 - in reply to #913588)

MF took my muskie tackle selection from a few bargain bin pieces to respectable. I posted that I wanted to trade some salmon gear for muskie gear and the next thing you know, I'm meeting Sled in the parking lot at Rollie's. He didn't just trade me gear, he took me in the store and pointed me at a Weagle because my Jackpot kept getting blown out of the water. I have not caught a fish on a Weagle yet, but I still enjoy the site.
djwilliams
Posted 7/28/2018 10:57 AM (#913614 - in reply to #913588)

My wife caught the family's first muskie in 1996- a beautiful 36 incher. I killed that fish in the bottom of a rental boat because I didn't have what it took knowledge and equipment wise to properly release a fish. I started seriously muskie fishing in 2000, and joined MF in 2001. I went to a Clear Lake outing as a muskie virgin with one rod and reel. We were all gifted a 6 inch Slammer -still have it- and froze my butt trolling it in Cady's 19 foot Crestliner in 40 degree temps with rain and an old ripped pair of rubber pants. That summer I got a guide on Leech to help. I just kept on keeping on until time on the water and knowledge gained here paid off. I would attribute all of the authors here on MF to teaching me about bait presentation and recognizing good fish habitat (beaches, reeds, edges, flats). Of course I have followed recommendations for a couple good pairs of hook outs as well as a pair of Knipex, which have saved the day many times. I co teach English at my high school and instead of reading books, I am usually reading on here. All the Best!

Edited by djwilliams 7/28/2018 10:58 AM
NPike
Posted 7/28/2018 11:05 AM (#913616 - in reply to #913614)

Got some solid input when considering my Lund Fury purchase.
MuskyMissionComplete
Posted 7/28/2018 11:19 AM (#913621 - in reply to #913588)

MF has allowed us to run fundraising auctions on here for our Veterans event along with Operation Muskie before us!! We would have a hard time raising the funds required without this site and the many generous people on it!
FishFearMe
Posted 7/28/2018 8:35 PM (#913662 - in reply to #913621)

About 10 years ago I asked for assistance from the muskie community for a recommendation for an action lake where I could take my wife fishing and where she could have a good chance to catch a muskie, even if it was a smaller one. I then got a personal message from a muskie fisherman who gave me a great recommendation for a lake to try. He not only suggested a lake, but he gave me tons of information on how to fish lake, what baits to throw, spots to try, and even sent me a map of the lake.

This particular lake was about a 7 hour drive from my house, but we did make a trip to the lake over a long weekend and sure enough, my wife caught her first muskie over 30 inches (it was a 36 incher). She doesn't muskie fish a lot, but she still talks about the time she caught that fish and has held onto the bait she caught it on, calling it her favorite lure.

I was really amazed that a complete stranger would be generous enough to share such great information with me and help me to try to increase my wife's interest in muskie fishing. I am very grateful and it is something I will never forget.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 7/29/2018 12:01 AM (#913672 - in reply to #913588)

I've personally stimulated the economy with at least 50k spent directly, and indirectly, since 2012.
jonnysled
Posted 7/29/2018 7:22 AM (#913676 - in reply to #913588)

MF networked me into a group of people who have become lifelong friends with just one i'd consider a knob. i've been able to help some folks, get some help myself and have a place to go to be entertained. Quitler will always suck.
T3clay
Posted 7/29/2018 3:12 PM (#913692 - in reply to #913588)

I would think gear reviews and recommendations have some of the biggest help for me, including choosing what boat to purchase.
Jeremy
Posted 7/29/2018 4:23 PM (#913697 - in reply to #913588)

Met some really good people here.
Met a couple guys who have helped with baits purchased as well as made a few baits for me VERY reasonably.
Had a lot of help from Pikemaster regarding reels, selection and cleaning -- which was superb!!
Ran into a member from here out on a weed reef, very nice.
Had some help selecting lines, rods (which cost me!!) etc.
Found out how to work a bait or three better than I was doing.
Boat battery help, which was HUGE!!
Bait-making help, coating etc. as well as finding a good supplier of bait-making details.
Learned a good bit about knots but still think mine is better...at least imho.
Leaders too, lots of help there.
Found a good guide for an outing this summer.
Met Sworral at a show. Still not sure if that was a good thing..............................................................*g*

The list goes on....*grins*
baddfish46
Posted 7/29/2018 4:41 PM (#913700 - in reply to #913588)

I started chasing ski's 12 years ago in Ohio and there were a couple forums I watched and associated with, I seemed to learn general stuff about muskie fishing (scale 1 to 10) up to about LEVEL 6 or 7 on these sites. This site pushed that 7 up to 10 simply because of the volume of knowledge and willingness to share. Just seeing the Lures for sale and spending lots of $$ at Rolllie's all adds to the knowledge & most importantly CONFIDENCE in fishing for these critters. I think this site definitely speeds the learning curve up! (besides time on the water) Lets face it- MN/WI & Northern IL & St Clair are the REAL Muskie territories. Hearing the stories, seeing pictures of the mythical 50's being caught all adds to the fuel that this Ohio fishing guy needs. Tight Lines
esoxaddict
Posted 7/29/2018 7:18 PM (#913705 - in reply to #913588)

Learned a ton. Hopefully helped a few rookies not make the same mistakes I did starting out, and made a bunch of friends along the way...
ulbian
Posted 7/29/2018 10:47 PM (#913720 - in reply to #913705)

The front page is a time machine. If you scroll down just a bit you can step back six years and see that spots for the 2012Spring Bay outing are filling up. It makes me feel younger than I am.
tackleaddict
Posted 7/30/2018 6:57 AM (#913730 - in reply to #913720)

I can confidently answer any question about IPT and how it relates to double tens. Also met a couple good dudes and caught some hella nice fish with those guys.
Erieboy75
Posted 7/30/2018 7:39 PM (#913799 - in reply to #913588)

similar to "fishfearme"....met a great fisherman and better guy named Brett on here. Lots of great tips and info. Since then I have fished with him 3 times (caught some "fiddys"), despite him over that-a-way and me here in Ohio. Thanks, Buddy! Can't wait to do it again!
ErieBoy75
Matt DeVos
Posted 7/31/2018 12:10 AM (#913816 - in reply to #913588)

M1st has been a wonderful diversion that I come back to on, if not daily, at least on a weekly basis. Great discussion on a great diversity of different topics and I'm happy to say that I've made some great acquaintances through this website over the years. It's a great resource, very valuable to the entire muskie fishing community on many fronts. Kudos for running a top-notch website in a professional, respectable, admirable manner..over the years, there have been a lot of topics discussed here that have been at the forefront of and have shaped the conversation regarding not only muskie tactics, but also muskie managment and ethics. I'm very grateful...

Sorry, I guess that was more than one thing.

Edited by Matt DeVos 7/31/2018 12:12 AM
ToddM
Posted 7/31/2018 7:01 AM (#913824 - in reply to #913588)

Matt, i think if you visit daily instead of weekly you could turn those acquaintances into friends! I wear a bracelet to indicate my ipt deficiencies in case of medical emergency.

Edited by ToddM 7/31/2018 7:04 AM
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 7/31/2018 3:53 PM (#913897 - in reply to #913588)

I'll also add that I have earned quite an admiration for Steve Worrall's patience in running this site.
tenthousandand1
Posted 7/31/2018 6:53 PM (#913915 - in reply to #913588)

I'm new to this site and Musky just this year (since August 2017). It's been a great help to read these posts and as I boat more fish (and lose more) I can always find someone who has some good advice - or what really helps - validates that I'm not doing the wrong thing and fishing in a barrel in the back yard.

What is most extraordinary - so far - about this site is the dignity offered to the fellow fisher(wo)man. Maybe I am too new or I don't look hard enough for it, but folks are respectful here to one another and that is hard to find in the diverse Interwebs of the ether. Perhaps Muskie fishing is hard enough and we don't need more difficulty by starting a bickering contest every 3rd thread.

I'm crediting my next 45+ to OFM cause I'll probably catch it trolling and this place is FULL of trolling tips (thanks BTW).

Cheers-
RLSea
Posted 7/31/2018 7:51 PM (#913923 - in reply to #913588)

For the time periods when I can't fish, M1st has been my fix. There is a lot of real world info shared here by real world people. I've been fishing for them off and on for 50 years and almost always learn something each time I visit this site. Thanks guys (and gals).
Rotorhead
Posted 8/1/2018 8:27 AM (#913955 - in reply to #913588)

I’m amazed at the generosity of people on this site who truly recognize a sincere request for help with fishing a new lake, using equipment, or recommendations for what works or doesn’t work in a given situation. I’ve had people PM me when they felt they would give up a “secret” to everyone, but they gave me enough to have some success rather than fumble around finding answers by trial and error and come away discouraged. For those people, I always provide feedback to let them know it was very much appreciated, even if success was limited. For me, that’s important because I came to this sport later in life after retiring from the Navy so I don’t have a lot of years left to learn by trial and error as this sport does tax these old bones. There are truly good people on this site and we all benefit from each other’s input. We are better fishermen and better stewards of a wonderful resource because of this site.
Junkman
Posted 8/1/2018 8:46 AM (#913963 - in reply to #913588)

For me, it was all about shaking out some of the really deep personal questions I have agonized over since my teen years. Who you love can be an unsettling topic when it’s someone of the same gender, but I just love Steve Worral. And, I think he is so attractive and really smart too. I don’t come here for the musky stuff...never have!
jdsplasher
Posted 8/1/2018 1:46 PM (#914024 - in reply to #913963)

^^^^^OMG Steve, better run....he might just show you his Junk.....man;) ^^^^^

You probably won't grabbing for a Creature any time soon...

JD

Edited by jdsplasher 8/1/2018 1:53 PM
Jeremy
Posted 8/1/2018 2:27 PM (#914034 - in reply to #913963)

Junkman - 8/1/2018 8:46 AM

For me, it was all about shaking out some of the really deep personal questions I have agonized over since my teen years. Who you love can be an unsettling topic when it’s someone of the same gender, but I just love Steve Worral. And, I think he is so attractive and really smart too. I don’t come here for the musky stuff...never have!

Gotta love it.......................:))
North of 8
Posted 8/1/2018 4:18 PM (#914058 - in reply to #914034)

I have gotten a lot of good information on fishing muskies from posters here. Everything from how to work certain lures, to how to set up release tools and a net for fishing alone safely.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)