Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Great Lakes Harbors

Message Subject: Great Lakes Harbors
CincySkeez
Posted 7/24/2018 2:14 PM (#913217)
Subject: Great Lakes Harbors

Looking to employ some new tactics on an estuary that's connected to a GL. A previous discussion about moon phase had me thinking, after some playing on the NOAA website i was able to get some nice tide/water level charts for the specific harbor entry I want to target.

Any of you guys that fish around the Great Lakes pay attention to tide data. I was shocked when i saw the actual delta in water level throughout the day. Figured that either up or down cycles might trigger a bite (in conjunction with other variable obv)

Attached is a 10 day read out, if you expand the view you can see when storms disrupt this nice trend, and you can also see great amplitude in swings given moon phase (duh).

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Waterlevels.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Waterlevels.JPG (122KB - 343 downloads)
CincySkeez
Posted 7/25/2018 9:34 AM (#913304 - in reply to #913217)
Subject: Re: Great Lakes Harbors

Guess its too bad I don't have the time or budget to fully explore this
ToddM
Posted 7/25/2018 2:07 PM (#913346 - in reply to #913217)

That is interesting data. Another consideration is wind direction. I have seen harbors be 70 degrees for prolonged winds from a blown into directionto find them 55 degrees a week later from an outbound wind. Alot to consider .
CincySkeez
Posted 7/25/2018 3:10 PM (#913354 - in reply to #913217)

Yea, I've keyed on temps there before and wind direction. But was more thinking along the lines of how fish will relate to harbor entrance/exit structure during these fluctuations. All my river musky face the current, why would these be different. I need to locate some forage during one of these swings and see what happens. I know the "tides" on the great lakes are largely negligible (5cm) but a current is a current, and it can be timed...well then I might have a pattern.

While ice fishing the same body of water, the current would seem to abruptly change direction and bam the bite would be on for about the first 30 minutes of the switch.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)