Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> 13 Fishing Concept A3

Message Subject: 13 Fishing Concept A3
davemp
Posted 8/13/2018 2:51 PM (#915437 - in reply to #912921)
Subject: Re: 13 Fishing Concept A3

Pikemaster, I'll be interested and looking forward to your thoughts on the A3 should you choose to post them. DaveMP
Quest4Esox
Posted 8/14/2018 8:14 PM (#915647 - in reply to #914919)

Beastly Backlash - 8/7/2018 10:01 PM

Quest4Esox - 7/24/2018 11:46 PM

Beastly Backlash - 7/23/2018 1:19 AM

Quest4Esox - 7/23/2018 2:39 AM

Sorry I can't address your questions. For all I know, it could turn out to be a strong, reliable reel that provides years of service.
However, I just did a quick 1 minute web search and found a Tranx 300 for $25 more (delivered) and I've recently seen two or three Tranx 400s sell in the low $200s. Have you handled the Tranx 300 and 400? If you're not already familiar with them, and ultimately decide against the Concept A3, watch those lengthy tutorials and side by side comparisons on Youtube (same guy does them). Then go to a shop and mount the 300 and 400 to rods so you came feel the ergonomics and overall quality.

My thoughts as well, plenty of proven designs and proven reels from your bigger companies like Okuma, Diawa, Shimano, and Abu Garcia; all of which actually design their own reels, Okuma, Diawa, and Shimano actually manufacture many of their own reels too which includes their big low profile reels.

I know which youtuber you are referring too and while his side by side comparisons were informative, it is important to take them with the understanding that he was biased towards the Shimano Tranx and all of those other big low pros he reviewed (except for the Lexa HD) he didn't actually own or use very long in actual fishing scenarios. His videos are good otherwise, but it is important to consider the context of the reviews.

Yes, the guy on Youtube mentioned that (at the time of the video) he didn't have much time fishing the Revo Toro Beast. You can argue that he showed bias, but bias isn't necessarily a dirty word. After all, it was an introduction to the smaller Tranx models and his enthusiasm reflected his satisfaction with what he'd found inside. Shimano stuck to the "Tranx roots" and chose not to cut corners. I think his intent was to open each reel and show the viewers what they're getting for the amount of money spent. That's my interpretation.

That said, I think all of the reels on his table have a good name in the musky / pike market and well beyond. I don't think I've heard of any consistent and verifiable issues with the Lexa, Beast, or Tranx product families. Hopefully, no one sees those reviews and thinks they have to buy the Tranx since one of the other reels is likely to experience some sort of premature failure, because if they do their homework they'll find lots of satisfied users of each product.

I understand his intent quite well, he is actually the best current Youtuber when it comes to breaking reels down (I might be biased towards him when I make that comment, but I like his technical approach), but bias is bias especially when you are willing to claim, as a matter of fact, that a certain reel is the absolute best on the market for nearly any situation you might use a large baitcaster in without actually having used the "brand new to the market" reel in some of those situations side by side against the competition.

I will say that he was absolutely right that the Tranx 300/400 are the easiest big low profiles to break down and service though, I love that part about the Tranx 400's. It is also wickedly refined, as it should be since it is a Shimano. But, I still don't feel comfortable using Tranx for some of heavy duty/high stress situations I use the stainless steel giants (Komodo and Lexa HD) for and I am not referring to just musky fishing and Nick from Tackle Advisors wasn't really speaking about using the Tranx 400 for musky either (he doesn't really fish for them).

That being said, Tackle Advisors has stated that the Concept 13A is an OEM product, why pay the same price for an OEM reel when you can get another reel for the same price from a company (like Diama, Okuma, or Shimano) that actually designed and built their reels in their own factories? You have basically said so yourself.

Above, you state the following: "I understand his intent quite well, he is actually the best current Youtuber when it comes to breaking reels down (I might be biased towards him when I make that comment, but I like his technical approach), but bias is bias especially when you are willing to claim, as a matter of fact, that a certain reel is the absolute best on the market for nearly any situation you might use a large baitcaster in without actually having used the "brand new to the market" reel in some of those situations side by side against the competition."

We watched the same video, but when I read your statement, I knew that I didn't recall any such absolute declaration. At what point in the video did he say those things? I encourage anyone to watch the entire video, but for the purpose of addressing the claim above, fast-forward to 48:29 and start listening to the presenter's final wrap-up.
48:29 - "Now where do I think the new Tranx is situated in comparison to all the other reels on the table?"
48:44 - "If my expectations are met, it's the best reel on the table. Uuum, until that point, I can say I really love the Lexas." He goes on to discuss the merits of the Lexas.
51:44 - "The Tranx is the best designed reel on the table. We'll just see how that plays out with use. But the Lexas are a little bit cheaper and the non-HD versions are right on par with the HD versions."
52:04 - "The Tranx isn't taking over the segment entirely by any means, so I don't want to give that impression."

Here's a link to that YouTube video. If the link doesn't work, anyone reading this can search YouTube for "Shimano Tranx 400, Daiwa Lexa HD 300/ 400, Abu Garcia Revo Toro Beast review and comparison", published March 7, 2017 by Tackle Advisors. Again, at what point in the video did the presenter make the claims you previously stated?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La_i80k3xp4

PIKEMASTER
Posted 8/18/2018 10:45 AM (#916002 - in reply to #912921)

Welcome Quest4Esox
I thought the same thing !!!
I see no Response LOL

Quest4Esox
Posted 8/21/2018 1:19 PM (#916178 - in reply to #916002)

PIKEMASTER - 8/18/2018 8:45 AM

Welcome Quest4Esox
I thought the same thing !!!
I see no Response LOL

LOL... Thanks, man. Happy to be here. This site is a treasure trove of information.

I really didn't want to go there with that other member, but it seemed like he was more interested in "winning" an argument than discussing the TRUE positives and negatives of various reels. It's unfortunate.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)