Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Black Flys in Northwoods ??

Message Subject: Black Flys in Northwoods ??
basscaster
Posted 7/15/2018 7:21 PM (#912384)
Subject: Black Flys in Northwoods ??

I am heading up to Boulder Junction on Friday the 20th. How are the Black Flys ? What is the best defense for those Pesty Flys ?

Edited by basscaster 7/17/2018 7:38 PM
happy hooker
Posted 7/16/2018 6:21 AM (#912415 - in reply to #912384)
Subject: RE: Black Flys in Northwoods ??

Their bad on leech lake in Minnesota too with all the bullrushes,,best option is to wear lightweight columbia style pants has they mostly target your ankle s and lower legs. Or if you have to wear shorts put fabric softener sheets sticking up out of your footwear
Jerry Newman
Posted 7/16/2018 7:58 AM (#912418 - in reply to #912415)

I cover up my electronics, hop up front and give them a dose of yard guard.
bigbite
Posted 7/17/2018 9:28 AM (#912526 - in reply to #912384)

Roy, if you know anyone either on active duty with the Army or in the National Guard, they have some excellent ointment for that. I believe it was developed around the Viet Nam era and is simply called insect / Arthropod lotion (6840-01-284-3982). Another insect repellent is "Muskol" which is distributed out of Canada and contains 100 % Deet. I've used that stuff on fly-ins in the bush and it is great stuff!
true tiger tamer
Posted 7/17/2018 8:30 PM (#912575 - in reply to #912384)
Subject: Re: Black Flys in Northwoods ??

100% Deet isn't the safest product to use, as the Deet is absorbed by the skin, and pretty toxic. They make an electric insect repellent that works about the best of all we tried when I fished in Russia last year.
Propster
Posted 7/17/2018 9:26 PM (#912580 - in reply to #912384)

Couple misconceptions here. Deet is completely safe when used as directed. It is probably the most studied and researched chemical known to man. And 100% Deet is no different than 25 or 50% Deet, it just lasts a little longer before needing to be reapplied because it's more concentrated. It's not stronger nor does it work better. Deet is Deet. To the OP - if you are referring to the house fly type flies that hover in the bottom of the boat and bite your ankles and legs, Deet doesn't work on them. You need the stuff they use to keep flies off horses. But if you are talking about a true black fly, then these along with chiggers, gnats and other flies like these, can be effectively repelled with a repellent that includes a couple of additional fly repellents in addition to Deet. Deet by itself is pretty effective on mosquitoes but only minimally effective on black flies. The two added ingredients you are looking for are N-Octyl bicycloheptene dicarboximide (MGK 264) at 5% and Di-n-propyl isocinchomeronate (Morpel Repellent 326) at 2.5%. This formula used to be offered in No Stinkin Bugs, Bug Blocker and I think Sawyer still makes one. Also a company called Bugg Products makes Buggins Insect Repellent Extreme and it has the added fly repellents.
AndrewR
Posted 7/18/2018 1:38 PM (#912634 - in reply to #912384)

basscaster - 7/15/2018 7:21 PM

I am heading up to Boulder Junction on Friday the 20th. How are the Black Flys ? What is the best defense for those Pesty Flys ?

Roy, they're horrible this year.

I'll suggest lightweight running pants that are breathable and climalite fabric. Then any long sleeve UVP shirt. Far better than any bug spray...... Wear during daytime and night fishing.
Dan111
Posted 7/19/2018 2:21 PM (#912753 - in reply to #912384)

deer fly are out and there is no stopping em..
Top H2O
Posted 7/19/2018 3:33 PM (#912763 - in reply to #912753)

The Horse fly spray is very good. Flies hate that stuff.

Shower before bed.
Clark A
Posted 7/20/2018 12:42 AM (#912807 - in reply to #912384)

I heard Picaridin is good. Any opinions since that is what I bought. Thanks.
EastwoodNorris
Posted 7/23/2018 4:20 PM (#913099 - in reply to #912384)

A guy I work with swears by Listerine. He says you need to spray it in the boat several times a day.
Jeremy
Posted 7/23/2018 7:38 PM (#913122 - in reply to #912384)

I just spent 3 wks up on Vermilion and those black flies were a bugger until I broke out some spray with 95% DEET in it. Stopped them cold!

EDIT: Sorry Propster but it worked like a charm for me. I left my boat up there otherwise I'd get the name of the product and send it to you. If I left 1" sq. that was uncovered, even under the socks they'd find it otherwise totally fine!!

When my son left, mid-vacation he let me use his Nike, thin full length pants. Cool, over-the-ankles length.....no more worries. I'm getting a couple pairs for next time up!

They're a b!tch up there.....

Edited by Jeremy 7/23/2018 7:43 PM
Propster
Posted 7/23/2018 9:44 PM (#913142 - in reply to #912384)

I'd still like to know what the OP meant by black flies – if he meant the little tiny black flies or if he meant the house fly type. Jeremy, which one did Deet work on for you? I'd be curious to know if it had any active ingredient in it besides Deet
Jeremy
Posted 7/23/2018 10:40 PM (#913149 - in reply to #913142)

Propster - 7/23/2018 9:44 PM

I'd still like to know what the OP meant by black flies – if he meant the little tiny black flies or if he meant the house fly type. Jeremy, which one did Deet work on for you? I'd be curious to know if it had any active ingredient in it besides Deet

Prop, in your post you mentioned those " house fly type flies that hover in the bottom of the boat and bite your ankles and legs, ".... that's what prompted my reply. Those nasty little b'stards that are like house flies but have the tiny, pointed "stabber" in front instead of the housefly soft "thingy they taste with" in front. Otherwise they look exactly like house flies and you can't be fast enough to kill 'em either! Miserable flies!!

I'll get you the product info later to include all ingredients. I do recall buying it at R.E.I. 2 seasons ago. 1 1/2" dia. x approx. 3 1/2" high canister (smallish) with a black plastic push-on cap.
djwilliams
Posted 7/24/2018 9:52 AM (#913177 - in reply to #912384)

We refer to those as deer flies up on Leech. There is nothing worse in my opinion than battling those bastards when you are not fully prepared for them. Deet has not worked on them. One product that will keep both deer flies and house flies off of you is WD-40. I tend to go barefoot in the boat. I keep a can in the boat and spray a little into my hands and rub it on my feet (tops and sides and toes) and ankles. The other product I use is called Bronco. It is an equine fly spray. I will lightly spray it onto the inside side walls, carpeted deck and floor, and allow it to dry. Flies will not land on those surfaces.
Tony S
Posted 7/24/2018 12:09 PM (#913192 - in reply to #912384)

Coppertone sport sunscreen keeps the black flys away better than anything Ive found. I has to be the "Sport" version.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)