Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Ulterra Mounting Plate

Reply New post
Message Subject: Ulterra Mounting Plate
jonnysled
Posted 7/10/2018 9:50 AM (#911949)
Subject: Ulterra Mounting Plate

Not sure if this subject has hit or not so thought I'd share.

I had a problem with my Ulterra that has finally been solved so there is now an assignable cause for what was happening and thankfully a solution too.

When launching on a steep landing my motor was hitting the roller on my trailer dislodging the magnet that is friction mounted on an "l-bracket" for lack of a better term. This caused the motor to not find the proper position prior to stowing resulting in an unstowed finish.

There is a solution and a new 2-position mounting bracket that you can offset and slide back to a safe launch position and then re-position forward when using. It costs $250.00 and has come out since many had this problem.

I was disappointed in the inability for this to be fixed with confidence the past couple of years but now get it and with the change in base plate can use this motor with confidence again.

I'm not sure if this was re-engineered since I bought mine (it's the first or second year model ... can't remember).

So, if anyone is having similar problems, look into this as a solution and enjoy the Ulterra with confidence.

Edited by jonnysled 7/10/2018 12:51 PM
BNelson
Posted 7/10/2018 1:13 PM (#911966 - in reply to #911949)
Subject: Re: Ulterra Mounting Plate

Link to the plate?

Edited by BNelson 7/10/2018 1:14 PM
jonnysled
Posted 7/10/2018 1:32 PM (#911968 - in reply to #911966)

https://anchorexpress.com/minn-kota-mka-51-quick-release-bracket-185...

it's another thing to remember to do, but it works. last night i forgot to move it forward before deploying and had a failed deploy, but was able to just bring it back and then move it and re launch without a problem. you have to be careful when moving it foward and back because i could see getting sloppy could maybe drop the motor in the water. the movement is a 1. removal of key clip, 2. rotate lever arm, 3. slide to the side and forward or back and then 4. re-engage lever arm and 5. put key clip back in.
BNelson
Posted 7/10/2018 1:36 PM (#911969 - in reply to #911968)

hmmm interesting.. mine hit my roller a few times this year and broke one of the screws that holds the side plate on... one other thing that a guy can do to minimize it hitting is have their buddy lift up on the bow as the boat slides off / down trailer when launching...

Edited by BNelson 7/10/2018 1:39 PM
jonnysled
Posted 7/10/2018 1:40 PM (#911970 - in reply to #911969)

inside of that plastic cap is the magnet sitting right in the spot that gets the shock from a bounce against a roller. it's a friction fit part that slides onto a frame flange so doesn't take too much to move out of position. once out of position it can be a problem for primary rotation to stow alignment position and if out of position will cause the error. i would imagine pinning that magnet with a bolt would have been a better design so not sure if they've changed/improved it since mine or not.

there is a reason they put these new plates onto the market though, just wish it was understood earlier and not at the expense of frustration and the cost of another new baseplate.

it's only money though i guess. just nice to know i wasn't crazy and there was a reason it wasn't working and better yet a reason why it will continue to work now.

my primary launch is very steep and i launch solo most of the time, so it all made perfect sense ... just 2 years late.

Edited by jonnysled 7/10/2018 3:03 PM
14ledo81
Posted 7/10/2018 2:19 PM (#911975 - in reply to #911949)

Is it something that rough waves could jar loose as well?
jonnysled
Posted 7/10/2018 2:27 PM (#911978 - in reply to #911975)

14ledo81 - 7/10/2018 2:19 PM

Is it something that rough waves could jar loose as well?

i would imagine if you hit really hard that it might be able to. if you think that happened take the side cover off and see if it's in position as it should be.

you make me think that i could have done that too out on Lake Michigan last year. i was in some pretty nasty stuff and hit pretty hard a few times.

most of my problem though was bouncing on the roller ...
undersized
Posted 7/10/2018 2:54 PM (#911983 - in reply to #911949)

I've had this one since 2015: (scroll down to bottom of page)
https://www.rnrd.com/marine-products/trolling-motors/

It's a single side pin, seems easier to operate that that MKA-51 mount. I also forget to move it forward once in awhile in the morning, but the Ulterra just stops so I hit "stow" slide the plate forward and re-deploy. I always remember to slide it back at the end of the day or when making a run over rough water because my RAM to stabilize the trolling motor arm is mounted such that it needs to be in the slid-back position. I even bought a second one for my backup trolling motor so I could switch between my Ulterra and Terrova more easily.
jonnysled
Posted 7/10/2018 2:56 PM (#911984 - in reply to #911983)

Great idea on the stabilizer! ...

took a quick look at that one and it looks like the mechanism for moving forward and back is more logical.

Edited by jonnysled 7/10/2018 2:58 PM
muskyjeff84
Posted 7/19/2018 2:49 PM (#912757 - in reply to #911949)
Subject: RE: Ulterra Mounting Plate

Do you know if the bolt location and pattern for mounting to the boat is the same as the older models?
mtcook16
Posted 7/20/2018 10:04 AM (#912837 - in reply to #912757)

All electric steer motors from Minn Kota have the same bolt pattern. PowerDrive, Terrova, Ulterra.
Fishysam
Posted 7/20/2018 1:48 PM (#912870 - in reply to #911949)

Also if on a steep ramp, get the boat almost in the water, then go quickly in, the water pushing on the transom holds the boat on the roller and keep backing in till the bow is all but floating, don't do this alone or with grandma/ child.

I do it alone but I can anchor the transom remotely to keep it from drifting over the fender, then unhook the bow strap. Do do this in the winter haha

But more useful information is a MK-47 plate will do the same thing (discontinued and clearance item is you can find one- 69$)

Edited by Fishysam 7/20/2018 1:50 PM
msky3
Posted 7/21/2018 2:54 PM (#912943 - in reply to #911949)

This is what I did
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)