Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> New Starcraft?

Reply New post
Message Subject: New Starcraft?
baddfish46
Posted 7/7/2018 4:37 PM (#911750)
Subject: New Starcraft?

Long time fan & user of this site, decided to register again since recently relocating to IL for work.
I went to Starcraft dealer today in Aurora, IL just to check things out...

The Renegade 178 SC - Single Counsel, 115HP Merc Pro - Price was $35k, no carpeting! don't know the rod length limit

I've been a Lund fan and have fished from them in Erie and St Clair- Are their huge differences in Lund Vs Starcraft?
The Starcraft "Felt" good and spacius, counsel very cool looking and seemed functional.
Their Hulls are one piece, riveted & 0.100 Gauge - 6 year warranty
I'm not a professional fisherman and I don't need a 50k+ boat but something that will last 20+ years would be nice. Dare I say: I'm hoping this next boat purchase will be my last! With of course electronic upgrades along the way...

I cast primarily for Muskie but do some trolling on inland Lakes/Rivers (OH& PA until now), very soon all over MINN & WI, I also have a young son who loves to fish and I'm sure he will keep me multi-specie fishing for years to come.
A few more specific questions:
-trolling with a big 4 stroke- OK? for short term but plan on a kicker?

-are there any preferred lengths/widths of boats to handle the typical inland lakes in WI & MIN? (St. Clair & Erie can have 4-5 footers in a blink of an eye) For future, I want something that can at least handle 2-4 ft days on St. Clair. Is Mille Lacs or Winnebago similar to St. Clair in roughness? (Sorry for Rookie questions)

-Single man operation- I'll be fishing alone alot, launching a boat over 20' can give me a headache by myself (Used to own a big Thompson for Erie-Ugh) Why I'm staying away from fiberglass boats

Any thoughts, opinions are welcome, I'll be visiting Lund next.
Tight Lines
Brian Hoffies
Posted 7/7/2018 5:08 PM (#911754 - in reply to #911750)
Subject: Re: New Starcraft?

Just my opinion.

While you think this will be your last boat, it won't be. In a few years you will want to step up either in size or hp. Until then get something you are happy to fish out of and can afford. As far as handling yourself, I will always be a fiberglass guy with bunk trailers. Once you learn to handle them they are easy, easy,easy.

Boat size? Longer you go, the better the ride. That said Mille Lacs has been fished for 100 years with 16' and smaller boats. It's the operator and the amount of common sense they have that makes a difference. A good 4 stroke motor, decent electronics, common sense and you can fish any inland lake in the midwest.
ToddM
Posted 7/8/2018 2:11 PM (#911789 - in reply to #911750)

Looks like a nice boat. Big back deck too. The boat should be fine but would not hurt to compare other 17ft boats like crestliner, lund, alumacraft ect. Looks like it has a center and side rod locker. I assume you are buying from stirn's? I see you located to aurora. They have been around forever. Like any boat that size, big lakes will always be weather dependent.
baddfish46
Posted 7/8/2018 2:22 PM (#911790 - in reply to #911750)

Yep, I visited Stirn's... it seems like 18ft is always a decent cut off for big lakes, nice part about this area, the small lakes outnumber the big lakes by far.. fishing quality too. (not the case in OH)
ToddM
Posted 7/8/2018 4:03 PM (#911798 - in reply to #911750)

I would also consider a kicker if you plan on fishing alot of illinois lakes. Many have a 10 or 25hp limit. If you troll it is a good choice too. Spreads out the engine hours which is key if you are keeping the boat a long time. The boat will also open opportunities for salmon fishing.
horsehunter
Posted 7/8/2018 7:37 PM (#911807 - in reply to #911750)

When I looked up specs I see 16 foot 11 inches 89 inches wide 20 inch transom not my idea of big water boat however it said max hp 90 so the 115 is over by 25 hp

http://www.starcraftmarine.com/showroom/2018/fishing/renegade/17
baddfish46
Posted 7/8/2018 7:55 PM (#911810 - in reply to #911750)

good point horseh... the 178 DC is rated to 150 hp on their site... which seems much better then 90! definitely made a note of that, whats funny is the Starcraft literature I have has both the SC & DC rated to 150 hp...?
Ernie
Posted 7/19/2018 7:15 PM (#912782 - in reply to #911750)

To the OP, while I'm not in the market for a new boat, I think what you and I are looking for out of a boat is very similar and the boat that has stood out to me at the last two boat shows I've attended is the Alumacraft Competitor 175.

It's 17' 8" with a 95" beam and you can hang a 150 on the back. Nimble enough to fish smaller lakes and handle by yourself at the dock, yet large enough to handle a big water chop.

Plus, at least for now, you can pick your motor as well. I suspect we'll see E-Techs on all of them pretty soon (BRP is buying Alumacraft) so if you have a preferred motor, now might be the time to pull the trigger.

I'll also mention that August is a great time to buy a boat as everybody is on vacation, at a state fair, or getting ready for back to school.

Good luck in your hunt.
supertrollr
Posted 7/21/2018 5:37 PM (#912952 - in reply to #911750)

was sure it was about the game......
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)