Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Release Glove

Message Subject: Release Glove
Jerry Newman
Posted 7/3/2018 1:13 PM (#911464)
Subject: Release Glove

For about 30 years I've been using a welder's glove with a heavy duty truck inner tube wrapped around the thumb to lip muskies to open up their mouth for unhooking, and also protect my hand/wrist.  It was time for another glove and I decided to try the Lindy fillet glove super fabric this time around. This is what I ended up with for about $40, (the Lindy glove does not protect the back of your hand or wrist).

If you decide to try this yourself, it's best to leave the outside stitching in place because there are several layers to that Super Fabric. I cut off about 1/2 of the tip of the thumb of the blue glove so the Lindy glove would fit better, it takes quite a bit of rubber cement and several applications. Even if you don't want to stick your thumb in a muskies mouth, I still recommend the welder's type glove before reaching into the net with your hook-outs.

Have a safe and fun Fourth of July!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Glove.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Glove.jpg (34KB - 369 downloads)
Musky_Mo16
Posted 7/3/2018 1:45 PM (#911466 - in reply to #911464)
Subject: Re: Release Glove

Thanks for the advice! I think I might give it shot because I also like to lip them because I find it easier to get the hooks out. I've just been using a leather glove but your idea might be worth a shot
NathanH
Posted 7/3/2018 2:08 PM (#911467 - in reply to #911464)
Subject: RE: Release Glove

I picked up a pair of welding gloves with Kevlar as one of the layers, I’m going to try that but the extra rubber on the thumb is a nice idea.
Jerry Newman
Posted 7/6/2018 8:39 AM (#911650 - in reply to #911467)

Honestly, the inter tube is a little bulky, I started out using just a heavy leather glove (#3 - polaroid scan from 1987?) and found out the hard way that you need to wrap the inner tube completely around the thumb with the seam away from your fingers because the glove has a tendency to roll in struggles. The super fabric is probably the way to go because it will protect better and be less bulky… can get a better grip along the lines of just using a leather glove like MO 16 does.   

I have lipped with the Lindy glove many times also so I know that the super fabric holds up well, still need to watch for cuts… but can use the leftover super fabric fingers for patching.

For those of you not familiar with this technique I would like to throw a word of caution that this will not offer 100% protection unless you are able to maintain a very strong grip on those small lower front teeth… basically can't allow your thumb to slide into the “steak knife” area.  However, the welding glove in general is good to pop fish off alongside the boat (#1-2) , and the lip technique allows you to open the mouth wide and have control of their head just like with a bass to quickly remove deep hooks… and potentially save the fish's life.

Edited by Jerry Newman 7/6/2018 8:41 AM

(The Glove (1).jpg)

(The Glove (2).jpg)

(The Glove (3).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments The Glove (1).jpg (18KB - 357 downloads)
Attachments The Glove (2).jpg (24KB - 344 downloads)
Attachments The Glove (3).jpg (14KB - 342 downloads)
Quest4Esox
Posted 7/8/2018 3:39 PM (#911795 - in reply to #911650)

Jerry Newman - 7/6/2018 8:39 AM

Honestly, the inter tube is a little bulky, I started out using just a heavy leather glove (#3 - polaroid scan from 1987?) and found out the hard way that you need to wrap the inner tube completely around the thumb with the seam away from your fingers because the glove has a tendency to roll in struggles. The super fabric is probably the way to go because it will protect better and be less bulky… can get a better grip along the lines of just using a leather glove like MO 16 does.   

I have lipped with the Lindy glove many times also so I know that the super fabric holds up well, still need to watch for cuts… but can use the leftover super fabric fingers for patching.

For those of you not familiar with this technique I would like to throw a word of caution that this will not offer 100% protection unless you are able to maintain a very strong grip on those small lower front teeth… basically can't allow your thumb to slide into the “steak knife” area.  However, the welding glove in general is good to pop fish off alongside the boat (#1-2) , and the lip technique allows you to open the mouth wide and have control of their head just like with a bass to quickly remove deep hooks… and potentially save the fish's life.

Great posts. Thanks for the info on the leather work glove. At this moment, there's a pair in my truck that I'd planned on using just to get by. I think I'll go a different route.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)