Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Driving / mpg ?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Driving / mpg ?
mastical
Posted 6/17/2018 7:27 PM (#910177)
Subject: Driving / mpg ?

need a little help here

i have a'13 Alumacraft competitor 185 with a Mercury 115 4S, stock prop

Today i drove about 14 miles across the lake in calm conditions with 2 guys and some musky gear with a full tank of fuel, i was cruising around 33mph @ 4500-5,000 rpm and when i got to my destination i had somehow burned thru half a tank of fuel, the tank is 34 gallons

This just seems wild to me, the boat is new to me so maybe i was running it a little too high, maybe not trimmed up all the way? what the heck

Edited by mastical 6/17/2018 7:28 PM
Jerry Newman
Posted 6/17/2018 7:45 PM (#910180 - in reply to #910177)
Subject: RE: Driving / mpg ?

I would guess it's…

1 when you thought you filled it up the pump clicked off early?
2 the fuel cell is smaller than you think
3 the fuel gauge is not accurate and you actually still have three quarters of a tank

... certainly more reasonable than burning more than 1 gallon of gas per mile.
curleytail
Posted 6/17/2018 9:30 PM (#910200 - in reply to #910177)
Subject: Re: Driving / mpg ?

I don't think you could have burned that much. My Tuffy tank is very very hard to get full at a gas station unless i actually unhook the boat from the truck and set the angle of the trailer perfectly. If it's in the water it will get full or close to it. My guess is your tank was not full but the needle said it was.
PredLuR
Posted 6/18/2018 9:18 AM (#910228 - in reply to #910177)

Not sayings its an Alumacraft thing as ive only owned them however my 2010 competitor is very finicky at the gas pump. I cant run the pump full bore or it will foam up and shut off early. I end up just putting the pump on the lowest setting and running the gas in slowly that way which takes a few extra minutes. I will also turn the key to activate the fuel pump to make sure its running all the way full and I can see it.

If this is the first time its happened it could be the gauge in the tank itself is damaged. My boat prior had a fuel gauge that would read full when it was filled and stay at "full" until it hit about half full and then dropped suddenly to where it was supposed to be. Never bothered to fix it because at least it told us when we needed to know, when we needed to know it so I lived with it. Not saying thats what happened but you never know.

Edited by PredLuR 6/18/2018 9:19 AM
mastical
Posted 6/18/2018 2:09 PM (#910275 - in reply to #910177)

Thanks guys, im guessing it just wasnt full all the way. ill have to keep better track of it from now on
25homes
Posted 6/20/2018 10:42 AM (#910445 - in reply to #910177)

My gauge is way off..that would be my guess. When my boat says Im empty I still have 10-14 gallons left in the tank. My guess would be gauge is off...get a 2-5 gallon can keep in boat.. try and Run empty so then you can get full as possible and try and check yourself
horsehunter
Posted 6/20/2018 11:05 AM (#910447 - in reply to #910177)

The fuel gauge on my last 3 boats were extremely accurate when the boat was on the trailer on level ground. Otherwise not so much.
Fill your tank make a timed run then refill your tank or hook up a 3 gal plastic tank and see how long it lasts under normal use then switch back to your main tank.

Edited by horsehunter 6/20/2018 11:08 AM
mastical
Posted 7/6/2018 8:21 AM (#911644 - in reply to #910177)

hello again, heres an update

I went to the gas station, completely filled the tank, turned on the fuel pump, rocked the boat and looked at the gauge and it goes almost a full 1/4 tank PAST the full mark so yall were right, its wasnt full at all when it said it was

thanks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)