Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Best lake mapping chips?

Message Subject: Best lake mapping chips?
Mulldaddy
Posted 5/21/2018 8:56 AM (#906918)
Subject: Best lake mapping chips?

I’m looking into getting a lake mapping chip for my unit, anyone have any recommendations for the ones they think are the best? Thanks in advance!
mtcook16
Posted 5/21/2018 9:12 AM (#906922 - in reply to #906918)
Subject: Re: Best lake mapping chips?

Lakemaster is a good bet in musky country, but knowing what area you fish, even specific lakes will help guide you best.
RyanJoz
Posted 5/21/2018 9:14 AM (#906923 - in reply to #906922)

the lowrance insight chips use the same data as lakemaster if you have Lowrance units. I run Insight HD 2016 in the states and Navionics in canada where it is not mapped on Lakemaster.
mtcook16
Posted 5/21/2018 9:27 AM (#906924 - in reply to #906918)

Since you're considering both, I'll assume you are running Humminbird units. Coverage is different on both Lakemaster and Navionics, making the case for picking the right one for the area and lakes you fish. The publicly available data is shared by map companies and is used to cover more lakes in okay detail (3-5' contours). However, the data on an Insight chip can't be the same as Lakemaster, since LM does a lot of their own mapping, yielding a lot of 1' contour, High-Definition lakes.

It's also a good point that there are a lot of options to create your own maps with features like AutoChart Live on Humminbird units or similar offerings from other fishfinder companies. Many people use this technology to complement their existing maps by or create contours on lakes that have not yet been mapped.

Edited by mtcook16 5/21/2018 9:32 AM
Junkman
Posted 5/22/2018 11:37 AM (#907021 - in reply to #906918)

Here’s another tip. Sometimes the stuff you most to see won’t show up unless you have the proper enlargement. It’s just like the car GPS that won’t show side streets till you zoom in. In places like LOTW where a rock reef can end your trip on the first day, zooming in till the hazard is shown with small red x’s is a must even when you have a great distance to cover and precious little map is showing. It pays to experiment until you know how far you need to zoom in to get the view you need.
VMS
Posted 5/22/2018 11:50 AM (#907025 - in reply to #906918)

Hiya,

I think Junkman brings up a good point here, and to emphasize....always always always have a paper map in hand. I too run zoomed out here and there, but if you keep the zoom in on the GPS and the map in hand as you go, you can avoid the granite lower unit killers...

Steve
tswoboda
Posted 5/22/2018 3:13 PM (#907037 - in reply to #907025)

VMS - 5/22/2018 11:50 AM Hiya, I think Junkman brings up a good point here, and to emphasize....always always always have a paper map in hand. I too run zoomed out here and there, but if you keep the zoom in on the GPS and the map in hand as you go, you can avoid the granite lower unit killers... Steve

Are there any modern units that don't have a Chart/Chart split screen option.  For cruising around on LOTW I always run the Helix with half the screen at around 500 scale and the other around 0.5 mile scale.  Holding and following a paper map at cruising speed isn't practical at all in my tiller.

Mulldaddy
Posted 5/22/2018 9:03 PM (#907052 - in reply to #906918)

Thank you guys for this info, this helps a lot I will keep this in mind!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)