Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Highest barometer reading

Message Subject: Highest barometer reading
tundrawalker00
Posted 9/30/2017 8:19 AM (#879737)
Subject: Highest barometer reading

What's the highest barometer reading you've seen where you caught a fish? Looking at this 30.45 and wondering if it's a sorting and sharpening day.

North of 8
Posted 9/30/2017 8:56 AM (#879741 - in reply to #879737)
Subject: RE: Highest barometer reading

tundrawalker00 - 9/30/2017 8:19 AM

What's the highest barometer reading you've seen where you caught a fish? Looking at this 30.45 and wondering if it's a sorting and sharpening day.

Huh, just checked and that is exactly the reading at the weather service station at the Rhinelander airport.
Hansen1
Posted 9/30/2017 5:18 PM (#879767 - in reply to #879737)
Subject: Re: Highest barometer reading

Can't catch them if your sitting at home. Had a day in late august this year that the pressure was at 30.28. My dad and I caught 8 fish and missed a few other ones. That is the highest pressure that I know of that I have caught fish.

Edited by Hansen1 9/30/2017 5:19 PM
tundrawalker00
Posted 9/30/2017 5:32 PM (#879769 - in reply to #879767)

That's pretty darn high. Woe is me. After I saw it was dropping this afternoon I had already agreed to grilling tonight. #*^@.
BNelson
Posted 10/2/2017 8:48 AM (#879864 - in reply to #879737)

have never had great fishing with a high barometer reading.. that said, if it is high but falling fast that can be good.. I've watched it this year more than others and seems I've had more bites when it's under 30
whoever posted the Intellicast site on here thanks, the barometer bar on it is pretty sweet.

Edited by BNelson 10/2/2017 8:52 AM
Kirby Budrow
Posted 10/2/2017 9:41 AM (#879870 - in reply to #879864)

BNelson - 10/2/2017 8:48 AM

have never had great fishing with a high barometer reading.. that said, if it is high but falling fast that can be good.. I've watched it this year more than others and seems I've had more bites when it's under 30
whoever posted the Intellicast site on here thanks, the barometer bar on it is pretty sweet.

You're welcome
jdsplasher
Posted 10/2/2017 12:12 PM (#879884 - in reply to #879870)

Not sure if I ever seen such a high Barometer the past 8 weeks. Check and watch barometer every outing. I'm sure it correlates with the lack of rain we had also, and the lack of bite going on.

I know it's been a blood bath with Salmon on Michigan side of Lake Michigan. Charters are definately smiling on Michigan side!!! Lake Michigan here off Milwaukee had warm waters most of the summer do to all the NE,- SE winds.

JD

jtmenard
Posted 10/2/2017 1:37 PM (#879889 - in reply to #879884)

My highest is 30.25 which was Saturday when it was falling.

It's a small sample size (98 fish), but this is what I've found...
29.60-29.69....3.1%
29.70-29.79....8.2%
29.80-29.89....23.5%
29.90-29.99....25.5%
30.00-30.09....33.7%
>30.10...........6.1%
BNelson
Posted 10/2/2017 1:40 PM (#879891 - in reply to #879889)

how do your hours correspond to the data? ie, do you have 10, 25, or 50% etc of your hrs from 29.9 to 29.99? etc
jtmenard
Posted 10/2/2017 2:32 PM (#879895 - in reply to #879891)

Unfortunately I don't track the conditions of fished hours that I don't catch fish. That is ultimately what someone would need to do so they can index the data to see if it there is a higher/lower rate of catching during certain conditions. My data is also from basically two lakes, and as we all know, different lakes react differently.
jaultman
Posted 10/2/2017 9:02 PM (#879920 - in reply to #879737)

My results are similar to jtmenard. More than 75% of my fish are <30 in Hg while fishing time is probably half under 30 and half over.
tundrawalker00
Posted 10/2/2017 9:51 PM (#879924 - in reply to #879920)

Well, 30.16 won't be my number!
dickP
Posted 10/3/2017 7:20 AM (#879932 - in reply to #879737)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbVk0tQBMz0

Edited by dickP 10/3/2017 7:23 AM
BNelson
Posted 10/3/2017 9:05 AM (#879938 - in reply to #879737)

lots of interesting videos and research out on the ol interweb about the barometer.. this was interesting...
http://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/barometric-pressure-and-bass/
NPike
Posted 10/3/2017 11:01 AM (#879953 - in reply to #879938)

Have noticed on several occasions a dropping barometric pressure has turned them on. I would tend to agree with your finding that extremes seem to reduce activity. Unfortunately it's so pleasant to be on the water during those high pressure blue bird sky days.
W8N4SNO
Posted 10/5/2017 9:31 AM (#880237 - in reply to #879737)

Yesterday must have been an anomaly, barometric pressure was 30.25+ and I saw fish on every structure and caught a couple. Granted most of the fish were adolescents, but it was great to see on a metro lake that many believe to be going down hill.
MOJOcandy101
Posted 10/5/2017 10:09 AM (#880253 - in reply to #880237)

W8N4SNO - 10/5/2017 9:31 AM

Yesterday must have been an anomaly, barometric pressure was 30.25+ and I saw fish on every structure and caught a couple. Granted most of the fish were adolescents, but it was great to see on a metro lake that many believe to be going down hill.

I didn't check the barometer but I also saw 3 fish and missed one in 2 hours yesterday in west central mn
burningdubs
Posted 10/5/2017 11:14 AM (#880269 - in reply to #880237)

W8N4SNO - 10/5/2017 9:31 AM

Fishing a metro lake yesterday and saw zero.
Will Schultz
Posted 10/5/2017 12:20 PM (#880298 - in reply to #879737)

I believe any perceived inactivity has a lot more to do with light penetration than high air pressure since the two coincide. Anglers generally do what they want and not always what the fish want. I also believe fish that can regulate their swim bladder should have little impact from high air pressure.

Edited by Will Schultz 10/5/2017 12:21 PM
tcbetka
Posted 10/5/2017 8:09 PM (#880363 - in reply to #879932)

Interesting, but not very relevant to fishing...

That fellow pressured that container to about 50 psi. Normal atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi, which corresponds to 29.92 in Hg at standard temperature and pressure (STP).

Consider: 50 / 14.7 = 3.401 atm (atmospheres)

Thus: 29.92 in Hg * 3.401 = 101.75 in Hg.

Therefore while the pressure in the OP's original post was higher than STP, it really isn't *that* much higher--certainly nowhere near the same magnitude as the pressure used in the demo shown in the YouTube video.

TB

tcbetka
Posted 10/5/2017 8:17 PM (#880365 - in reply to #880298)

Will Schultz - 10/5/2017 12:20 PM

I believe any perceived inactivity has a lot more to do with light penetration than high air pressure since the two coincide. Anglers generally do what they want and not always what the fish want. I also believe fish that can regulate their swim bladder should have little impact from high air pressure.

Great thoughts--and I concur. When you do the math a pressure of 30.50 in Hg is only slightly above the standard pressure at sea level (29.92). And being that water is pretty much incompressible for the most part, it would take an extraordinary amount of pressure to have any meaningful effect on a fish's gas bladder.

Thus I've long-since given up the notion that rising or falling pressure has a direct effect on fish, in and of itself. Rather I think it has to do with the secondary atmospheric conditions that (often) accompany such barometric changes. And changing light is definitely a plausible theory IMHO.

EDIT: A sudden change in wind (over a short period of time) very well could also be responsible too, of course.

Will Schultz for the win.

TB

Edited by tcbetka 10/5/2017 8:27 PM
dickP
Posted 10/6/2017 7:16 AM (#880397 - in reply to #879737)

"Interesting, but not very relevant to fishing... "
Now that's interesting.IMO opinion wrong,yet interesting.Maybe 'relevant' doesn't mean what I thought it did.
The U tube was offered as a great,albeit simplified demo of the principle involved,not a factual comparison.Maybe I should no longer assume everyone understood that.
IMO to suggest barometric pressure is irrelevant is silly.Yes it's just one component of a post front situation involving a host of changes ranging from possible PH changes,oxygen changes,wind changes,possible metabolic changes due to water/air temps,etc but it's one of the few measurable,not speculative,factors involved.
No doubt the dreaded 'high' skies are significant.I've hated them for 50 years-spend years on trout water and anyone will develop that hatred.BUT,the 'high' part of that phrase refers to pressure,not that the skies lifted and got higher.I have many cloudless days annually with active fish.I have zero or near zero 'high' sky days with active fish.
Ignore 'pressure' if U want,I no longer argue these things so say what u want,I'll stick with my views and experiences.(note,spare me the articles comparing salt n fresh water-in fact spare me all the articles n studies as I'm sure I've read them.)
I'll take any moon phase vs facing a post front change anytime.Weather trumps(small case 't' not capital one)it all.
Good fishing to all!

Edited by dickP 10/6/2017 7:31 AM
tcbetka
Posted 10/6/2017 9:40 AM (#880420 - in reply to #880397)

Well I'm not saying that I can *prove* it's irrelevant, because I can't. But it's my opinion that a change in barometric pressure will have VERY little effect on fish in the water column. Since the fish are in (essentially) incompressible water, how are they affected by a change in air pressure when it's only a few psi?

The point I was making about the relevance of the video was that his demonstration used a pressure that was massively higher than that seen in nature. His 50 psi setting, although it did indeed illustrate his point, is never going to be seen "in the wild." Your lungs and ear drums would burst. Therefore I believe that it's a mistake to think that there is a similar effect (to that balloon) on a fish in the water column--especially given that muskies are physostomes, and can easily vent their air bladder. And although I cannot prove it because I'm not aware of any talking muskies, my honest opinion is that it's more likely that the other climatic conditions accompanying the change in air pressure are more responsible for the change in activity of the fish.

We can agree to disagree, and that's fine. I've certainly got no problem with that. As long as we catch fish...it's all good.

TB

EDIT: Although not specific to muskellunge, here's an article on air pressure changes related to bass that helps explain my argument.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/barometric-pressure-and-bass/

Note especially the discussion in the section Effects of Air Pressure On Fish. This is exactly my argument. You can make an argument that fish right at the air/water interface *might* be able to sense small changes in pressure, but (again) I don't know how we'd ever prove or disprove that conclusively--especially since relatively small movements vertically in the water column will likely have a much more significant effect on the fish's perception of "pressure changes" than any changes in air pressure. And the farther down in the water column the fish is located, the less significant any change in air pressure will be, compared to the weight of water in the column above the fish.

Edited by tcbetka 10/6/2017 10:06 AM
dickP
Posted 10/6/2017 11:30 AM (#880429 - in reply to #879737)

All good Tom.Agree to disagree.
Do U give any weight to low pressure?Imagine not.
Curious about your findings on those days where there are fish on every spot trying to stop your blades.Never has happened for me in high pressure.
BNelson
Posted 10/6/2017 11:36 AM (#880430 - in reply to #880429)

Tom, if you look above I already posted that...

I agree there are many variables to when fish get active or are shut down...99 x out of 100 it seems the kiss of death is a post frontal blue bird sky day....those days your best shot typically comes right at sunset, and more than likely the only hit you'll get. We see muskies following our suckers around on those days... yah never good...
I don't really agree with the light penetration theory as there are plenty of big fish in my boat with sunny skies... the use of an underwater camera has shown me under some high skies/high pressure muskies are nose deep in the weeds and not budging... can you catch fish under crap conditions like high pressure/high skies... sure... but there are far more favorable conditions to hedge your bets on...

Edited by BNelson 10/6/2017 11:38 AM
waldo
Posted 10/6/2017 11:49 AM (#880431 - in reply to #880430)

There's a free app for iPhone, might be one for android too. It's just called "Barometer" and it uses your phone's built-in barometer. You can set a mark to show current reading just like physical barometers, and you can see a graph of past readings. Really shows when things are moving.
tcbetka
Posted 10/6/2017 2:09 PM (#880445 - in reply to #880430)

BNelson - 10/6/2017 11:36 AM

Tom, if you look above I already posted that...

I agree there are many variables to when fish get active or are shut down...99 x out of 100 it seems the kiss of death is a post frontal blue bird sky day....those days your best shot typically comes right at sunset, and more than likely the only hit you'll get. We see muskies following our suckers around on those days... yah never good...
I don't really agree with the light penetration theory as there are plenty of big fish in my boat with sunny skies... the use of an underwater camera has shown me under some high skies/high pressure muskies are nose deep in the weeds and not budging... can you catch fish under crap conditions like high pressure/high skies... sure... but there are far more favorable conditions to hedge your bets on...

Oops! I saw a couple of links go by in the various posts, but didn't recognize it. Sorry for the repeated link then. Sometimes it's easy to miss links in these threads, especially if/when there is quoted text in the post.

I thought it was an interesting article nonetheless, and agree with many of the points they mentioned there. I read a similar article on salt water fish (shallow species) a while back too, but can't seem to find it now. I'll keep looking.

TB
tcbetka
Posted 10/6/2017 2:18 PM (#880446 - in reply to #880429)

dickP - 10/6/2017 11:30 AM

All good Tom.Agree to disagree.
Do U give any weight to low pressure?Imagine not.
Curious about your findings on those days where there are fish on every spot trying to stop your blades.Never has happened for me in high pressure.

Sure--I think low pressure times are fine times to fish, but I think it's really about the environmental conditions that accompany (ie; result from) low pressure times: Overcast, lower light conditions, and (often) a change in wind conditions that result in a little chop on the water...thus giving the fish more confidence to become more active.

I agree with the article that BNelson and I linked to--I think those conditions make prey more vulnerable due to reduced visibility. Thus predators are more active. Basically, it's like dusk during the day.

Interesting enough, the biggest fish I've caught on Green Bay all seem to come during the day (8am - 3pm). Maybe that's because, at least in the lower bay, the fish need light to close in for the kill n that last few feet. Certainly they're using their lateral lines to vector themselves towards the prey, but my understanding is that they still rely on their vision to some degree to close the deal. I've read the "even a blind pike finds a perch" threads out there, and think that this is probably true--if the fish is going to survive, it must learn how to use the lateral line system through the entire feeding process. But I have to wonder how many blind pike/musky starved before they figured that out...LOL!

TB
tcbetka
Posted 10/6/2017 2:36 PM (#880448 - in reply to #879938)

BNelson - 10/3/2017 9:05 AM

lots of interesting videos and research out on the ol interweb about the barometer.. this was interesting...
http://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/barometric-pressure-and-bass

d'OH!

What can I say...I'm a moron.

TB

Edited by tcbetka 10/6/2017 2:37 PM
tundrawalker00
Posted 10/6/2017 6:29 PM (#880465 - in reply to #879737)

SUMUNUMBATCH! Pressure dropped a full tenth while I was fishing. Not a hundredth, a tenth. And did I catch any of the bass I saw? No. Not even a pike. Certainly not a muskie.

Edited by tundrawalker00 10/6/2017 6:30 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)