Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Best Water-Proof (But Warm) Gloves?

Message Subject: Best Water-Proof (But Warm) Gloves?
Slamr
Posted 9/19/2017 9:29 AM (#878435)
Subject: Best Water-Proof (But Warm) Gloves?

It's about that time of year where I start finding which gloves have a buddy, which don't and looking at trying a new glove or two for cold water fishing.

Your thoughts on what you've used that you like the best?
MOJOcandy101
Posted 9/19/2017 10:27 AM (#878444 - in reply to #878435)
Subject: Re: Best Water-Proof (But Warm) Gloves?

I can't remember who it was but a few years back someone on here suggested a base layer of just your typical small knit/acrylic gloves, then a layer of your typical surgical latex doctors gloves (to keep the knit ones dry), final layer or your typical work gloves, cycle through out the day when they get wet. Your hands will stay dry and warm all day.
muskyroller
Posted 9/19/2017 11:11 AM (#878447 - in reply to #878444)

That's what I do. I skip the small knit and go straight to the latex gloves then use two or three different pairs of warm(ish) gloves over the latex. Rotate as needed. I always bring extra latex gloves in case they rip, get wet under, etc. I do fish MN/WI in Nov. and Dec. and have been happy with the results since trying this.
tundrawalker00
Posted 9/19/2017 1:44 PM (#878457 - in reply to #878435)

Kast Steelhead gloves
Landry
Posted 9/19/2017 4:57 PM (#878481 - in reply to #878435)

I put on thin knit gloves and surgical gloves on top of those. Works great.
short STRIKE
Posted 9/19/2017 5:02 PM (#878485 - in reply to #878481)

I've had good luck with the Clam Ice Armor Dry Skinz gloves.
Bigstick56
Posted 9/20/2017 9:36 AM (#878552 - in reply to #878457)

I agree with the Kast Steelhead gloves, also got a pair of Striker second skin gloves last year for ice fishing and have like them so far. The Kast though are tough to beat.
musky513
Posted 9/20/2017 10:00 AM (#878556 - in reply to #878435)

Another vote for Kast
detroithardcore
Posted 9/20/2017 12:09 PM (#878570 - in reply to #878435)

I feel like I post this every fall over the last couple years but you simply cannot beat the Kast Steelhead Gloves. BUT, what I do is I use latex surgical operating gloves underneath when it gets really cold. I'll throw a heat warmer in between and can effectively cast warm and dry all season. I can even fly cast, double haul and still have control of line with these gloves. When it comes to my hands I'm a sissy...flat out admit it. I've had 2 hand surgeries on my left hand and have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on winter gloves I can still fly fish, bait cast and use daily with no issues. I use this combination anytime I'm chasing Muskie till Dec. 15th, I use them fly fishing in the rivers throughout winter for Brown's, steelhead and anything else. It's really the first glove I feel safe dipping my hand in the frigid water grabbing or releasing a fish without getting damp or wet. Spend the money and get the Kast Steelhead Gloves Anniversary Edition set. Best glove I've ever worn....
Huss Nasty
Posted 9/20/2017 4:27 PM (#878614 - in reply to #878435)

How is the sizing on the Kast gloves compared to others? Are you buying a size larger in order to wear the surgical gloves underneath?
happy hooker
Posted 9/20/2017 4:39 PM (#878619 - in reply to #878614)

I'm getting a pair of kasts,,,,ice armor mittens have stayed dry all day for me too,,wrap some plastic around the thumb that you use to hold or stop the line spool.
The jig ripper rod holder helps a little bit too keeping one of your hands away from the spinning wet reel.
TannerAE
Posted 9/21/2017 7:56 AM (#878677 - in reply to #878435)

I might have to invest in a pair of kast. So far i have not found a glove that works, but i cannot express the amount of love I have for my small little buddy heater on cold days.
ToddM
Posted 9/21/2017 12:10 PM (#878708 - in reply to #878435)

I use ice armor gloves. They are bulky but my hands stay very warm.
fishhawk50
Posted 9/21/2017 3:13 PM (#878737 - in reply to #878708)

ToddM - 9/21/2017 12:10 PM

I use ice armor gloves. They are bulky but my hands stay very warm.

/\ this
Propster
Posted 9/21/2017 3:39 PM (#878745 - in reply to #878570)

detroithardcore - 9/20/2017 12:09 PM

I feel like I post this every fall over the last couple years but you simply cannot beat the Kast Steelhead Gloves. BUT, what I do is I use latex surgical operating gloves underneath when it gets really cold. I'll throw a heat warmer in between and can effectively cast warm and dry all season. I can even fly cast, double haul and still have control of line with these gloves. When it comes to my hands I'm a sissy...flat out admit it. I've had 2 hand surgeries on my left hand and have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on winter gloves I can still fly fish, bait cast and use daily with no issues. I use this combination anytime I'm chasing Muskie till Dec. 15th, I use them fly fishing in the rivers throughout winter for Brown's, steelhead and anything else. It's really the first glove I feel safe dipping my hand in the frigid water grabbing or releasing a fish without getting damp or wet. Spend the money and get the Kast Steelhead Gloves Anniversary Edition set. Best glove I've ever worn....

Are the Kast truly waterproof or why the need for the latex in addition? Or do they eventually allow water in like all others?
sworrall
Posted 9/21/2017 5:38 PM (#878767 - in reply to #878435)

Kast. Mine have been waterproof for two seasons, good so far.
happy hooker
Posted 9/21/2017 6:09 PM (#878773 - in reply to #878767)

Would the kast thumb on your reel hand need further protection something added,,,I've found the friction from stopping the spool wears on thumb material.
Musky_Mo16
Posted 9/21/2017 8:49 PM (#878802 - in reply to #878435)

I'm going to give sealskinz a try this year. They have one pair where you can open up just the thumb. Could be good for casting if you're like me and can't cast for sh*t with gloves on. You can also open the index finger (could be good for hunting)
Muskie Junkie
Posted 9/22/2017 6:57 AM (#878826 - in reply to #878435)

I have used the Ice Armor for years but I too have question on sizing of the Kast gloves. Do they run true to size? For $60 I want to make sure they fit. Sounds like a better glove.

Steve
detroithardcore
Posted 9/22/2017 11:31 AM (#878858 - in reply to #878435)

Couple questions answered:

1) I only wear latex gloves and hand warmers with Kast Gloves only on my left hand cause I've had 2 major surgeries on this hand/finger and it's beyond numb or cold even in semi cold temps. Most guys who can have good hands, good blood flow and don't get too cold can simply wear the Kast Gloves by themselves. No need for the latex underneath.
2) yes, they are 100% waterproof. The only possible way to get water in them is to dip your cuff of glove beyond the water level. Besides that your hands will stay 100% dry. My left hand gets so cold at times that even in late October or early November I'll fish with a surgical (very strong) latex glove and hand warmer when it's cold, rainy, snowy or just really cold. I've fished many times in early fall with a latest glove only and been fine. Most guys, don't even need that. But that should show you how well these gloves are built.
3) I'm amazed at the Thumb and traction on glove. Using bait casters (as we all do) I do not wear out the thumb on the spool at all. I tested this in Florida on 150# Tarpon. I wanted to see how well the thumb held up and I had Poons peeling off 100+ yards of line and I was able to stop them with the Kast Glove and zero damage to the thumb grip. #*^@...my hand was hot on that day!! Nothing like wearing a glove in the Everglades in 98 degree weather fighting a big tarpon bit I was curious how well this glove would hold up and it was impressive.
4) The size measurement on their website is very accurate and I actually decided to go up a size and found out it was too loose. Follow their recommendations and buy that size. Personally I like a glove with a tight fit cause when I fly cast I need feeling and control over fly line. For only baitcasting guys you could get away with a size bigger if you want to add latex or hand warmers. You still can press thumb bar and thumb like with control.
5) Yes!! The jig ripper is a great idea!! That will eliminate some cold.
Trust me, I've spent years and years searching for the perfect fishing and bow hunting glove (yes I wear them in the stand or blind) and Kast is the first glove I can honestly say has worked the best.
BNelson
Posted 9/25/2017 10:56 AM (#879214 - in reply to #878435)

I hate sealskinz, I would not buy them. As others have said, get the Kast gloves, by themselves in weather under say 40 I put a thin "glove liner" on 1st then the Kast as they are not very warm. But, they are waterproof. I have tried about every glove made and they are the only ones that are waterproof all day. spend the $ and get em!
FEVER
Posted 9/25/2017 11:36 AM (#879223 - in reply to #878435)

Detroit, that was a great review on the Kast Goves. I, like you have spent plenty on
gloves that didn't keep my hands warm. I'm getting a pair of the Kast Steelhead Gloves.
Thanks for the review, Tom
ToddM
Posted 9/25/2017 12:43 PM (#879230 - in reply to #878435)

The other thing to consider is ic yku palm your reel, your palming hand will get colder because it is holding onto a heat sink. I am not so worried about dry hands as i am about warm hands. I have triex the seal skins and one hook poke and water now gets in. Cold hands. I have not tried the kast gloves but the ice armour gloves do what i need them do, keep my hands warm. I sometimes fish in temps below freezing with ice all over these gloves and i have warm hands.
Muskydanno621
Posted 9/26/2017 11:38 AM (#879353 - in reply to #879230)

I love the Kast gloves. Super easy to be able to leave gloves on and secure snaps and whatnot without removing gloves. In my opinion not the warmest gloves but very dry and fit fantastic. When hucking big rubber my thumb doesn't slip like it does with others.
detroithardcore
Posted 9/26/2017 7:27 PM (#879380 - in reply to #878435)

True, the Kast Gloves aren't the warmest of gloves but certainly the driest with a tight grip/feel and most durable I've come across so far. I was curious when a year or so ago Cableas came out with an entire heat/battery operated clothing line including gloves and boots. Has anyone tried these heated gloves?
Landry
Posted 9/27/2017 10:52 AM (#879417 - in reply to #878435)

I have been pondering the Kast gloves for a couple years.
Do u guys all use the "steelhead" model???
They don't seem to have all sizes in stock
madfish
Posted 9/27/2017 11:05 AM (#879419 - in reply to #879380)

For those with the Kast gloves, which one do you own?

https://www.kastgear.com/fishing-gloves/steelhead-gloves-anniversary...
OR
https://www.kastgear.com/fishing-gloves/mx-pro-gloves.html
wisriverrat
Posted 9/27/2017 8:51 PM (#879492 - in reply to #879419)

$59.99 on Amazon
Musky_Mo16
Posted 9/29/2017 7:48 PM (#879709 - in reply to #879214)

BNelson - 9/25/2017 10:56 AM

I hate sealskinz, I would not buy them. As others have said, get the Kast gloves, by themselves in weather under say 40 I put a thin "glove liner" on 1st then the Kast as they are not very warm. But, they are waterproof. I have tried about every glove made and they are the only ones that are waterproof all day. spend the $ and get em! ;)

Just curious, what didn't you like about the sealskinz? I didn't buy them yet and I always like to avoid spending money when possible.
BNelson
Posted 9/30/2017 9:59 AM (#879748 - in reply to #878435)

I didn't find them to be warm... didn't like the way the fit/felt on the reel and the ones I had were not 100% waterproof...I'd go with the kast steelhead gloves over anything else.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)