Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Now viewing page 5 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> do lure color choices matter?

Message Subject: do lure color choices matter?
ToddM
Posted 12/5/2017 9:45 AM (#885963 - in reply to #885955)
Subject: Re: do lure color choices matter?

Not a website i would care to frequent. They have done some attacking.
Sidejack
Posted 12/5/2017 10:06 AM (#885969 - in reply to #876887)

It appears to be posted from some other source so m'sure it's available elsewhere if politics are an issue.
sworrall
Posted 12/5/2017 10:47 AM (#885973 - in reply to #876887)

That study was completely discredited a few years back, the entire affair is in the MuskieFIRST archives. Some good folks got wound up with some not so honest folks in that mess so on the surface it looked OK and even Musky Hunter bit initially. Unfortunately it's pretty much bunk.
thescottith
Posted 12/5/2017 11:27 AM (#885977 - in reply to #876887)

The real study you should be looking at SideJack was the noble beast project. Lots of good data.
If I remember right he catch's the same muskie on the same spot with the same lure a couple times.

IMHO... color matters. If there was no color to all lures what would you have? How can you achieve the best contrast and make your lure stick out against the background without any regards to color?
Sidejack
Posted 12/5/2017 4:20 PM (#886034 - in reply to #876887)

Thanks, I'll take a looky-loo at the NB project.
Can't git enuff info during winternet and who knows, maybe they are as stupid as you think they are, Steve.
Regarding colour, my favourite will always be clear.
sworrall
Posted 12/5/2017 4:38 PM (#886035 - in reply to #886034)

Good old anthropomorphism.
Sidejack
Posted 12/5/2017 8:24 PM (#886059 - in reply to #886035)

Innate tendency brother.
Almost like wave-driven wind!!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(77e8162fc65d0520acd8f63ecc5ddfabbb3c3d30.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 77e8162fc65d0520acd8f63ecc5ddfabbb3c3d30.jpg (160KB - 395 downloads)
sworrall
Posted 12/5/2017 8:39 PM (#886060 - in reply to #876887)

For sure, that one is REAL.
T3clay
Posted 12/6/2017 8:26 PM (#886187 - in reply to #876887)

Biggest difference color makes is your confidence
sworrall
Posted 12/6/2017 8:36 PM (#886190 - in reply to #876887)

Perhaps if one fully understands what color/contrast/light penetration means to the muskie seeing the lure then choosing the correct color pattern for the best contrast makes that so.
IAJustin
Posted 12/6/2017 10:01 PM (#886203 - in reply to #886190)

What makes you sure that you want your lure to be the best contrast?, perhaps sometimes they see your high contrast bait too well and decide not to eat it...
sworrall
Posted 12/6/2017 10:12 PM (#886205 - in reply to #876887)

Where did you get 'high contrast' from the conversation? Please describe what you mean, perhaps you misinterpret what is meant by 'best'....

How much detail do you think the muskie can see, even in very clear water?
jchiggins
Posted 12/6/2017 10:36 PM (#886208 - in reply to #876887)

What makes anyone believe a fish has a lesser sense of color interpretation than you. White light physics blah,blah,blah. How human of you. Next you'll tell me humans have better sense of direction than a monarch butterfly.....
ToddM
Posted 12/7/2017 6:58 AM (#886218 - in reply to #886208)

jchiggins - 12/6/2017 10:36 PM

What makes anyone believe a fish has a lesser sense of color interpretation than you. White light physics blah,blah,blah. How human of you. Next you'll tell me humans have better sense of direction than a monarch butterfly.....

Have you ever seen a monarch butterfly stop and ask for directions, looking at the map at a rest area or have google maps up on their smart phone? Me neither. It is fun to watch them text and fly though, they are just as bad at it as we are driving.
horsehunter
Posted 12/7/2017 7:27 AM (#886228 - in reply to #886187)

T3clay - 12/6/2017 9:26 PM

Biggest difference color makes is your confidence

agreed
RLSea
Posted 12/7/2017 9:25 PM (#886346 - in reply to #876887)

Confidence is definitely key to the fisherman...not that it matters to the fish.
sworrall
Posted 12/8/2017 9:14 AM (#886376 - in reply to #876887)

Confidence created by knowing the best possible presentation is in play is the best kind.
IAJustin
Posted 12/8/2017 11:25 AM (#886393 - in reply to #876887)

No such thing as best one color for all the muskies in the lake for the exact same conditions... no such thing as 1 best color for an entire 12 hr day... get location, depth, speed and preferred size correct and you are well on your way to success. I'll let you pick any color in the rainbow in any condition you want if you let me pick the "important stuff" ..I know I'm catching fish.
sworrall
Posted 12/8/2017 11:50 AM (#886395 - in reply to #886393)

IAJustin - 12/8/2017 11:25 AM

No such thing as best one color for all the muskies in the lake for the exact same conditions... no such thing as 1 best color for an entire 12 hr day... get location, depth, speed and preferred size correct and you are well on your way to success. I'll let you pick any color in the rainbow in any condition you want if you let me pick the "important stuff" ..I know I'm catching fish.

The question was does color matter, and the answer is a resounding YES, but there's a lot more too the answer than that.

I will never understand why muskie anglers don't want to know what makes muskies tick a to z and how that relates to fishing success.

'No such thing as best one color for all the muskies in the lake for the exact same conditions'
Exactly. That's the point.
' get location, depth, speed and preferred size correct and you are well on your way to success.'
All part of the equation, no question, except one question...what is 'preferred size' and how do determine that?

'I'll let you pick any color in the rainbow in any condition you want if you let me pick the "important stuff" ..I know I'm catching fish'
That's great. I am not happy with fishing a pattern and presenting a footprint to the fish without knowing the details of why it works so to me understanding muskie vision and the environment they live in IS important stuff; but that's me. Not saying you need to be, so perish the thought.
ToddM
Posted 12/8/2017 12:13 PM (#886396 - in reply to #886395)

Steve those are great answers. In my earlier post about color, it was critical in that situation. I had an idea why from previous experience. It was also just one piece of the puzzle in the presentation, albeit a deal breaking one.
IAJustin
Posted 12/8/2017 4:54 PM (#886415 - in reply to #876887)

Steve, I probably pick preferred size the same way you pick preferred color
sworrall
Posted 12/8/2017 9:06 PM (#886438 - in reply to #876887)

Doubt it.
IAJustin
Posted 12/8/2017 9:18 PM (#886439 - in reply to #876887)

You are probably right, I do agree color is very important crappie fishing.
esoxaddict
Posted 12/9/2017 3:23 PM (#886495 - in reply to #876887)

I have no doubt that certain colors work better in certain types of water under certain conditions. I've experienced it too many times for that not to be true. I think the mistake people make is believing that picking the "wrong" color will cause muskies to shy away from your lures. In my opinion, picking the "wrong color" just increases the odds that an interested fish might take a shot at your lure and miss due to a lack of a good visual cue as to where that lure actually is in the water.
HunterDM
Posted 12/9/2017 6:23 PM (#886521 - in reply to #876887)

This has been quite an interesting discussion here with lots of different opinions. It would be nice to see some kind of chart put together showing what type of lure color for a particular day sunny or cloudy with different water conditions stained, clear etc. I think for a lot of us it would be very helpful. Obviously knowing that black could be used in most conditions. Anything would be helpful to increase our musky fishing passion and success rates.
ToddM
Posted 12/9/2017 6:52 PM (#886523 - in reply to #886521)

There is no hard and fast rule. Mood of the fish has to be considered as well. Then you have changing environment. Algae blooms, muddy water, ect and then throw in water temp. It all matters in how color may or may not be important.

One lake i find intersting is LSC. So many variations of color in the lake at all times. Gin bottle clear, mud, a mix of the two, the turqoise green water from the river, green water from the cutoff. The fish thrive and the fishing good in all of it.
IAJustin
Posted 12/10/2017 9:18 AM (#886538 - in reply to #876887)

Is it possible that a 55” fish has a better chance at being fooled by an offering that it actually can’t see well? Why are many big fish fooled at night? Maybe the real question is when does color matter muskie fishing ? It’s the last piece of the puzzle and your sample size in a given day is so small, how do you know if you where correct? Hypothetically you threw black and white all day because you had a great day, you caught 5 muskies!! All 38-42” ..., what if you threw hot pink all day and only caught two, that 42” you would have caught on any color because he was sucidal and your new PB a big fat 52” because he’ll only follow your black and white offering on this day? For anyone to say they know what the best color is for an individual spot and or an individual fish for that exact time of day is comical to me, for me color is the final piece, getting the location, boat control,speed, action, size , boatside technique and on and on is so much more critical.. I got a 53” this year jigging 25’ down over 40’, bait was a solid “tan” color, I have a lot of confidence that fish would have ate white or black too ... but who really knows ??

Edited by IAJustin 12/10/2017 9:21 AM
esoxaddict
Posted 12/10/2017 10:42 AM (#886543 - in reply to #876887)

Sometimes I think we go about it all wrong. "Wow that lure looks like a perch, and there's perch in this lake. Let's use that..."

Perch have evolved in their environment to be difficult to see so they don't get eaten. All prey has. Sooo are the muskies eating our lures because they look like food? Or are they eating them because they are easy to catch compared to food?
sworrall
Posted 12/10/2017 10:55 AM (#886545 - in reply to #886538)

IAJustin - 12/10/2017 9:18 AM

Is it possible that a 55” fish has a better chance at being fooled by an offering that it actually can’t see well? Muskies are terribly near sighted Why are many big fish fooled at night? Fish, including Muskies, have rod vision in play extending as cone vision retracts every morning, and the reverse in the evening on a clock, not calendar schedule, which are extremely sensitive to light allowing them to see quite well after dark Maybe the real question is when does color matter muskie fishing ? It matters all the time because most of your lures are painted with compound colors It’s the last piece of the puzzle and your sample size in a given day is so small, how do you know if you where correct? Knowledge of the underwater world, light penetration, how colors on lures are made, and what the lures look like in low to direct light, how much particulate is there, and what angle the sun is at will dictate what footprint you want the lure to offer Hypothetically you threw black and white all day because you had a great day, you caught 5 muskies!! All 38-42” ..., what if you threw hot pink all day and only caught two, that 42” you would have caught on any color because he was sucidal and your new PB a big fat 52” because he’ll only follow your black and white offering on this day? You are getting close to stating some facts in your effort to discredit the science behind the relationship between light and water and the effect of available light and the angle of same to the surface of the water. Once this is understood, color options are pretty simple, toss a dark lure against a light background, and a light lure against a dark background. The paint color is only relevant as we see it above the water in direct sunlight in crystal clear water under 10' of depth For anyone to say they know what the best color is for an individual spot and or an individual fish for that exact time of day is comical to me, for me color is the final piece, getting the location, boat control,speed, action, size , boatside technique and on and on is so much more critical Actually, you again are discrediting the fact muskies are sight feeders and what they see, in the final attack we call 'eating' is quite important. I got a 53” this year jigging 25’ down over 40’, bait was a solid “tan” color, I have a lot of confidence that fish would have ate white or black too ... but who really knows So what's the base color in brown or tan? 'purple and yellow; blue and orange(Orange is red and yellow); or red and green (green is yellow and blue)' Knowing whether, in low light, that lure offers a 'dark' profile or 'light' profile, may allow you to do the same thing again with total confidence the fish has the best chance possible to eat that lure. THAT's the point of understanding light and water and muskie vision, contrast. I think that's been said several times in the conversation. That far down the lure will be a shade of gray. Dark, or light gray? Check the lure against other 'tan' lures from other builders in very low light. You may be surprised at the differences.Look at the parking lot at the store when you go shopping in the evening. Nice bright car colors in the sunlight. Then look at the same after dark in the low light of the parking lot lamps. Lots of cars and trucks that are...dark, or light.( ??

Are you a deer hunter? Is what the deer is capable of seeing important to you?

Different motivation (to become invisible to the deer) but I have talked to hunters who believe camo is all that matters. Dark camo against a light background? Move a little and you are busted. Wrong detergent? Busted. Light colored gloves with that dark camo? Busted if your hand moves while the deer is looking your way. And deer don't perceive color well at all. I don't want to hope the deer doesn't see me, I want to do my best to make sure it doesn't.

So take what you will from the conversation, but the underwater world, light penetration, and fish vision is something worth the effort to learn.

Addict, you are close. Most lures are so far from 'natural' it should scream DO NOT EAT to a muskie. The reason lures work is the amount of stimulus in the footprint, and the response available on any given day at any given time. Maximize the stimulus, maximize the response.

IAJustin
Posted 12/10/2017 11:12 AM (#886546 - in reply to #886545)

All I can say is many of my best baits are wood colored because the muskies have chewed all the paint off. I have a few lakes my best results are solid white in ever condition possible, I literally will never throw anything else.. with partners throwing every color imaginable I don’t get outfished..maybe I just have the “action” these fish want.. I guess we can agree to disagree about deer hunting too, as long as I have the wind in my favor/ control scent, I’ll go deer hunting in a hot pink jumpsuit and move when they aren’t looking, camo is over rated .. another rabbit hole for whitefirst ??
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Now viewing page 5 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)