Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Patterning Muskies with Side Imaging

Message Subject: Patterning Muskies with Side Imaging
mtcook16
Posted 8/17/2017 6:58 AM (#874609)
Subject: Patterning Muskies with Side Imaging

We all are trying to find ways to put more fish in the boat. In this case, here's how to utilize Side Imaging to tell you more about the muskies than just the fish you're seeing. Use this information to your advantage and you can be using that bump board more often.

https://www.facebook.com/TEAM503/videos/1285891284870211/?permPage=1
mtcook16
Posted 8/17/2017 10:28 AM (#874640 - in reply to #874609)
Subject: RE: Patterning Muskies with Side Imaging

YouTube link to the video: https://youtu.be/CfXTB-P0C88

Edited by mtcook16 8/17/2017 10:31 AM
seanholmz
Posted 8/17/2017 10:47 PM (#874729 - in reply to #874609)
Subject: Re: Patterning Muskies with Side Imaging

Nice video of them catching skis but doesn't really breakdown the electronics side of things very well....basically indicates you can see muskies on side imaging...
esoxlucifer
Posted 8/17/2017 11:13 PM (#874733 - in reply to #874729)

Guide on premier homelake which is clear water and easy to see follows to locate fish with three anglers catches 2 fish-one they had to extend to afterdark to catch. Seems an argument that sideimaging likely of no help. Or maybe the fishing on that premier body of water is not so premier if done without sideimaging. Kool videogame though.
Thuawk
Posted 8/18/2017 6:31 AM (#874740 - in reply to #874609)

I think they are trying to say that even though it was a tough day. They were able to see some fish using structure with side imaging that they wouldn't have seen just casting . Giving them confidence in the spot knowing that the spot is holding fish. You know how many fish your lures pass by without getting a follow on a tough day? I don't either but I think it's alot.
tundrawalker00
Posted 8/18/2017 9:51 AM (#874768 - in reply to #874609)

Has anyone been able to conclusively see muskies on the first generation SI? It's really hard to tell the grains of rice apart on mine, but if someone could teach me to tune in on them, I'd like that.
kdebell
Posted 8/18/2017 10:16 AM (#874772 - in reply to #874768)

Yes, they don't look as good as the mega but when you see one you will know. To start make sure your range is at 100 feet at most. If you have a lake you that you can mark open water baitfish it will help you get accustom to what they would look like.
tundrawalker00
Posted 8/18/2017 10:27 AM (#874773 - in reply to #874772)

Thanks. I'll see what I have it at. I'm pretty sure the default is much wider.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/18/2017 10:47 AM (#874778 - in reply to #874609)

The fact of the matter is that you don't NEED side imaging to catch and locate muskies, but it can help. Of course, Luke knows which spots are holding fish with or without side imaging, but it could help in a pinch when fish aren't using normal spots or showing themselves on structure. I think it is more helpful when fish are not on the structure, but more off or adjacent to it.

Edited by Kirby Budrow 8/18/2017 10:48 AM
Brett Waldera
Posted 8/18/2017 12:12 PM (#874790 - in reply to #874609)

I have had an LSS-1 and I am currently running an LSS-2 with the structure scan on my Ranger. I run my side scan at 60' max for each side. I do not have the resolution of the newer side imaging of the MEGA...but I can surely see a large fish vs small fish vs baitfish. I can't say side imaging has helped me locate fish in the weeds...but open water fishing it is a game changer. I will say with 100% certainty it has helped me locate and catch muskies suspended in open water. I really think this imaging is the next frontier...I have seen some images of the new equipment that prove it will help you locate fish. They are still muskies though...and weather or not they bite is always another factor.

The other thing I use side imaging for is to find the denser weeds on a breakline or weedbed....you can run around it quick and drop an icon on the sweetspot with the better weedgrowth. It is uncanny when you go back to fish how often the bite or follow comes from that icon you put down.

Good Luck with the structure scan...I would have a hard time fishing without it after utilizing it a few years.

Brett Waldera
esoxlucifer
Posted 8/18/2017 3:51 PM (#874833 - in reply to #874790)

If your confidence level is not already high and stays there despite adversity you likely wont last long fishing muskies. So I doubt most of us need a confidence booster. What im interested in-and I would venture to say most of us-are tools to increase catch rates/size. My friends and I don't fish muskies nearly as much as many here. Anyone with records/data on improved numbers/size per angler hour before/after sideimaging use?
supertrollr
Posted 8/19/2017 7:41 AM (#874873 - in reply to #874609)

an obvious huminbird info comercial ,anyway when you know your spot your know where to find them
tundrawalker00
Posted 8/19/2017 8:06 AM (#874875 - in reply to #874609)

Many of us have this technology but probably don't use it to its best potential. Aside from finding a railcar on its side in Pere Marquette Lake, I haven't had any great a-ha moments with SI. I have tried it trolling brown trout in the Lake Michigan shallows and found it difficult to differentiate the fish from the various rocks and other bottom features. So if it can be used to narrow down likely muskie spots on my local 4,500-acre lake, I'd love to hear about it.
River2Stream
Posted 8/20/2017 4:10 PM (#874968 - in reply to #874875)

Side imaging in relatively featureless rivers is pretty sharp. We've been able to spot them on the side scan and then come up with a plan. As stated above, you can locate fish all day but getting them to eat is a whole nutha'. Locating fish I agree with but patterning ??? You'd have to do a lot of idling around to gather that much data to establish a pattern. I suppose its possible but I do think this a branding plug more than anything else.
Jerry Newman
Posted 8/21/2017 11:09 AM (#875048 - in reply to #874968)

I been identifying potential muskies ect. with Lowrance Structure Scan for 5 years now, posted two or three times about it and then nothing but crickets.

pturk
Posted 8/24/2017 8:40 AM (#875370 - in reply to #875048)

Here's one that we saw on the structure scan. The side view electronics are a great tool in addition to the other advances in electronics.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_2924.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2924.JPG (88KB - 602 downloads)
Thuawk
Posted 8/24/2017 9:03 AM (#875374 - in reply to #874609)

Nice fish.... You see that fish scanning at idle speed? Or just watching side imaging at trolling motor speed? I crank my speed down to match my boat speed.
zombietrolling
Posted 8/24/2017 9:38 AM (#875378 - in reply to #874609)

I run a Helix5 and I've done it once. I saw something that looked like a fish up on a sand flat a cast a half away and sure enough here came a fish that ate in the eight, ~40" fish . Only time I saw one that was clearly a fish. The screen on the 5 is too small to see a lot unless I'm right next to it. I also have not dialed in the settings.
TannerAE
Posted 8/24/2017 10:56 AM (#875388 - in reply to #874609)

I watched a couple videos that supernatural big baits put up on youtube that talked about some very interesting things about side imaging. I think one was called summer trolling tactics and the other fall trolling tactics.
pturk
Posted 8/24/2017 4:48 PM (#875415 - in reply to #875374)

Jerry would remember better than me, but between 3 - 4 MPH trolling with the kicker.
happy hooker
Posted 8/24/2017 6:07 PM (#875424 - in reply to #875388)

I went out with a well known guy who really knows this stuff well,,made a U Turn when we saw one on screen, fish moved and we followed it and the front guy fired a cast and hooked a 50 inch class fish,,this stuff should be banned!!, how soon before we can chase them around the lake like a destroyer running down a U boat.
Jerry Newman
Posted 8/26/2017 1:04 PM (#875644 - in reply to #875424)

happy hooker - 8/24/2017 6:07 PM I went out with a well known guy who really knows this stuff well,,made a U Turn when we saw one on screen, fish moved and we followed it and the front guy fired a cast and hooked a 50 inch class fish,,this stuff should be banned!!, how soon before we can chase them around the lake like a destroyer running down a U boat.

Funny stuff because we say things like "target acquired 20' starboard" so that destroyer/U-boat metaphor is a good one. However, I bet fishermen back in the day also claimed unfair advantage when Lowrance debuted the Fish Lo-K-Tor Green Box flasher too (Steve W probably remembers LOL).

Don't think the side scan has been as much of a game changer as when GPS debuted, but when you couple the two of them together it sure eliminates a lot of the search time while mapping, which is actually it's best attribute. Identifying and then catching the muskie you see on SS is just an occasional fun bonus.
Cfollow
Posted 6/28/2018 8:14 AM (#910970 - in reply to #875644)

Can someone tell me if Lowrance side-imaging can see right to the surface? I believe I heard guide Matt Siefert saying that Lowrance could not and that his other guide friends were not seeing suspended muskies in the top 5 fow. Matt claimed he could see the dimples made by the rain and follows coming to the boat.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 6/28/2018 9:05 AM (#910981 - in reply to #910970)

Cfollow - 6/28/2018 8:14 AM

Can someone tell me if Lowrance side-imaging can see right to the surface? I believe I heard guide Matt Siefert saying that Lowrance could not and that his other guide friends were not seeing suspended muskies in the top 5 fow. Matt claimed he could see the dimples made by the rain and follows coming to the boat.

I don't know about Lowrance, but you can see follows and waves on the surface with a Helix. Edit...I can see almost all the follows I get with a helix. And even follows that don't make it to the boat. Do an extra figure 8 and they come right in

I have a crick in my neck from staring at the graph now though...

Edited by Kirby Budrow 6/28/2018 9:08 AM
fishpoop
Posted 6/28/2018 4:36 PM (#911052 - in reply to #875644)

Jerry Newman - 8/26/2017 1:04 PM

happy hooker - 8/24/2017 6:07 PM I went out with a well known guy who really knows this stuff well,,made a U Turn when we saw one on screen, fish moved and we followed it and the front guy fired a cast and hooked a 50 inch class fish,,this stuff should be banned!!, how soon before we can chase them around the lake like a destroyer running down a U boat.

Funny stuff because we say things like "target acquired 20' starboard" so that destroyer/U-boat metaphor is a good one. However, I bet fishermen back in the day also claimed unfair advantage when Lowrance debuted the Fish Lo-K-Tor Green Box flasher too (Steve W probably remembers LOL).

Don't think the side scan has been as much of a game changer as when GPS debuted, but when you couple the two of them together it sure eliminates a lot of the search time while mapping, which is actually it's best attribute. Identifying and then catching the muskie you see on SS is just an occasional fun bonus.

When I was a kid back in the late 60's early 70's there was a Bill introduced into the Minnesota State Legislature to ban the Fish Lo-K-Tor's. People then were afraid that the technology would lead to all the fish being caught. The bill didn't pass, obviously.
Nomadmusky
Posted 6/29/2018 8:58 AM (#911110 - in reply to #874609)

I was reading this thread this morning while packing for this weekend's fishing and saw that someone had mentioned my secret weapon! The Green Box, the FISH LO-K-TOR. If I recall right I got it for my high school graduation from my parents in 1981. I remember getting that lantern battery, plugging it in and paddling a rented row boat around the rim of lakes along weed edges and off rock piles....Just like we do now...only now our electronics are like $3,000-$5,000!!

I'm the most guilty of them all.

I love my electronics and when I ripped my Tuffy apart to redo it I had; 2 Zercom flashers, which I loved, 1 old PinPoint ducer glassed in the hull, 1 old Lowarnce ducer glassed in the hull, 2 RayMarine units on the boat, an old Impulse 4040 on the shelf, as well as two portable Humminbird Pirahna's on the shelf.

I can't wait to re-rig it so I can put more on my new build so I can fish around the rim of the lake and fish weed edges and then go to the middle of the lake and fish rock piles. I will remember to look at my units every now and then so I can justify my costs!

I'm kidding, but I sometimes find it ironic, one of my best fishing partners and friends had his units die on his boat 5 years ago and hasn't replaced them yet, and is catching as many fish as ever. He's waiting for the next latest and greatest and trying to justify the costs.

They are a great tool and I love them, but just GO FISHING!

Nomad

Edited by Nomadmusky 6/29/2018 9:02 AM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Green Box.jpeg (11KB - 530 downloads)
Jerry Newman
Posted 6/29/2018 12:04 PM (#911135 - in reply to #911110)

I completely disagree with the assumption that you're going to not going to catch more fish with better electronics, as well as with side scan when used correctly.  I thought that the posted video was very well put together and clearly demonstrates how Luke used his side imaging to locate the spots that contained the most (and probably biggest) muskies more efficiently. 

I thought that what esoxlucifer said in 2017 was off base too; "they had to extend to dark to catch. Seems an argument that sideimaging likely of no help." ... well, yikes - this is exactly opposite of what I saw in the video. It's a pretty safe assumption that they went back to the area (after dark) where they saw the most and probably the biggest muskies, and this was probably a combination of follows & side imaging.

However, let's just assume for a second that they only had 2 lazy follows on all of their other spots but saw 4-5 nice ones on another spot but only on the side imaging. Where would you go back for the evening prime time to fish if you could be 100% sure the 4-5 were good size muskies?  Speaking from my own experience, I know where I'll go... and it wouldn't be back to either of the lazy follows (maybe afterward?).

As matter of fact we have left areas pretty quickly because we didn't see any muskies on the side scan, and conversely stayed in areas longer because we only saw them on the side scan... and I'm confident we have caught more muskies using this system.  If I were a caster it would make no difference to me if it was follow or seen on side scan... it's probably hard for some to get their mind around how effective side imaging can be until experienced first hand.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)