Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> boatside fish

Message Subject: boatside fish
jt.55
Posted 7/21/2017 4:15 AM (#870950)
Subject: boatside fish

I have been getting a lot of "slow" or "lazy" follows in the Minnesota metro area lately any tricks to help stimulate interest or trigger strikes on the 8 from these fish?
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 7/21/2017 5:03 AM (#870953 - in reply to #870950)
Subject: Re: boatside fish

Sometimes there is nothing you can do and those fish simply can't be converted. Try changing directions of the bait and do large circles instead of an 8 pattern. I wouldn't put too much stock into it, that's the nature of the beast.
T3clay
Posted 7/21/2017 5:34 AM (#870954 - in reply to #870950)

as stated above most lazy follows are just that and theres nothing you can do about it. BUT there are a few things worth trying:
1 a slight direction change, vertical and horizontal
2 a speed burst
3 on bucktails a pulsing motion when reeling, for example instead of a steady crank of the reel handle you crank fast on the top half of the handle turn and slow on the bottom half of the handle turn. this will cause the bucktail to have lots of little speed bursts which causes the skirt of the bucktail to bulge and will give it a breathing effect.
4 an erratic swing if using a jerk or a glider

in my opinion these should all be don't 10-15' away from the boat. its just a little trigger to get the fish a little more jacked up, or they might eat it right then and there.
IAJustin
Posted 7/21/2017 6:17 AM (#870964 - in reply to #870950)

This time of year if you are getting lazy follows, I'd start fishing a lot faster.. maybe painfully fast...you'll get less follows but the fish you do see will have a much higher conversion rate.. its hard to have lazy follows when you bring in blades as fast as you can reel on a Tranx HG Other option would be to return as night.

Edited by IAJustin 7/21/2017 6:21 AM
River2Stream
Posted 7/21/2017 1:36 PM (#871014 - in reply to #870964)

Kinda like Clay said .. if they are following your bait around the turns in the 8, I like to pulse my lure whilst in the 8 to give them a different look. It also creates commotion in the water with your rod tip ... sometimes it works - others it doesn't. Such is musky fishing lol

I've also heard that going deeper on your 8 on a follower can get it to strike.

Edited by River2Stream 7/21/2017 1:40 PM
25homes
Posted 7/21/2017 1:48 PM (#871023 - in reply to #871014)

def hard to get a lazy follow to commit but like stated speed might help...I also like to hit lil burst on speed right on the turn in the 8 and on the outer edge turn of the 8 I will speed up and elevate the bait in the water column almost like taking it away from them and it also creates a great angle for them to explode up and out on the Bait Id give it a try if you can very good % when doing this with Blade baits especially
bbeaupre
Posted 7/21/2017 6:11 PM (#871063 - in reply to #870950)
Subject: RE: boatside fish

When I get lazy fish I try never to pull the lure too far from the fish. I have had trouble with fish loosing interest when the fall more than a turn behind. Ideally I will slow lure on the straight to allow them to get within an easy nip of the bait then speed up as you reach turn to give her an angle to bite. If that doesnt work move up and down (deep and shallow) or left right if i shallow water on the straight end deep as you can and turn high and fast.

Musky Face
Posted 7/21/2017 6:48 PM (#871065 - in reply to #870950)

These metro fish just get to lethargic in these bath tub like water temps, plus have seen every lure you can imagine fly by them. Sucks! 78 degree water on Tonka today. Smaller metro lakes must be 80.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)