Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Thunder storms

Message Subject: Thunder storms
T3clay
Posted 7/12/2017 6:04 AM (#869779)
Subject: Thunder storms

Looking at the weather today supposed to be hot and humid with a thunderstorm or two rolling in a few hours apart. between the storms is supposed to be partly cloudy. Due to your past experiences what would you expect to see fishing with those weather conditions?

I have heard that thunderstorms will shut down the fish anyone have any other opinions
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 7/12/2017 6:24 AM (#869783 - in reply to #869779)
Subject: Re: Thunder storms

Sounds like a banner day to fish IMO. My best days have always coincided with weather events in the vicinity. I think whoever told you that thunderstorms shut down fish activity has been misinformed.
25homes
Posted 7/12/2017 7:40 AM (#869797 - in reply to #869779)

ID be out all day if possible right b4 storm in between storms and after storms lot of times these will turn the BITE ON!!! Im with Pat ID be on the water as much as possible only wish I wasnt at work

whoever told you it will shut it down either mis informed or trying keep you off water Prime Times IMO
ToddM
Posted 7/12/2017 8:14 AM (#869806 - in reply to #869779)

If your talking about the storm in northern illinois right now, i would not be in that. Fish up to it though

Edited by ToddM 7/12/2017 8:15 AM
redskeet100
Posted 7/12/2017 8:18 AM (#869808 - in reply to #869779)

One of my biggest fish came in between two really heavy t-storms. I don't think storms shut down fishing, I think it gets the ball rolling for some activity. One year up in Canada, t-storms from the north and west collided. Haven't seen that kind of lightning, thunder & heavy rain in forever. We raised 37 fish in a 2 hour span once it all stopped. Only caught 1, very frustrating, but fish were coming from everywhere.
FlyPiker
Posted 7/12/2017 8:55 AM (#869815 - in reply to #869779)

I've experienced both. I've had it shut it all down. And I've broke my PB twice in a half hour. Only way to know is to fish it. Stay safe.
Saul
Posted 7/12/2017 8:57 AM (#869816 - in reply to #869808)

I have caught two fish this year within an hour or two after a thunderstorm had passed. If I could be fishing after the storm today I would be
T3clay
Posted 7/12/2017 11:18 AM (#869850 - in reply to #869779)

I should be on the water by 2... i guess we will see how it goes!
Paramuskyhunter
Posted 7/12/2017 11:36 AM (#869854 - in reply to #869850)

The most fish i have ever seen was when we were trying to outrun a storm rolling in. We would sit on an area until the line started jumping on the rods then make a run to get in front of the storm again. We moved so many fish and landed a lot of them on the 8 when they were coming in like a cruise missile. Its a little nerve racking trying to out run a storm but it was a very lucrative time.

Edited by Paramuskyhunter 7/12/2017 1:06 PM
NPike
Posted 7/12/2017 11:49 AM (#869856 - in reply to #869854)

One time the storm caught up with me. It was one of the worse experiences of my life. Couldn't see 5' in front of the boat. Bilge pump couldn't even come close to keeping up with water that was coming in. Boat became filled with water. Plus your a lighting rod to boot.
Espy
Posted 7/12/2017 12:15 PM (#869863 - in reply to #869779)

Fish up to it, and after a storm. Not worth the risk fishing during.It only takes one time and you're done.
25homes
Posted 7/12/2017 12:18 PM (#869864 - in reply to #869850)

T3clay - 7/12/2017 11:18 AM

I should be on the water by 2... i guess we will see how it goes!

good luck and report back cant say im not in envy
Mudpuppy
Posted 7/12/2017 2:03 PM (#869884 - in reply to #869864)

My experience with thunder storms is as follows; Your mileage may vary.

Post thunder storms if it stays hot and muggy, has been one of my best times. If the wind is flat or only a little, bucktails are the ticket. If its choppy, I use Grandmas, usually 9". High humidity=big fish in my experience.

If bluebird weather with a rising barometer, I havn't had much luck, unless there is a drop in temp right after the storm. This condition has also been very good for me, but gets progressively worse with time.

Obviously before a thunder storm is prime time. The above aren't rules, muskies are happiest when breaking rules, just my experience. I hope this gives you something to think about.

Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy
esoxaddict
Posted 7/12/2017 4:46 PM (#869916 - in reply to #869884)

Before, in between, and immediately after. Seems like they shut down during the really heavy stuff, but as soon as it lets up, they're back at it. Lightning? No thanks. Too many close calls. The pic attached is a storm we outran about 10 years ago. Day started out great and turned bad in a hurry. Fishing a strong West wind, hot day, fish on the move. All of a sudden the wind just stopped. Then it turned around out of the North, and the temperature dropped a good 10 degrees. That was about the time we looked behind us and decided it was time to go. This particular system blew through with 38 MPH sustained winds, 68 MPH wind gusts, downed trees, hail, and tornadoes in several nearby towns. We literally made it out of there by about ten minutes before the #*#* hit the fan.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Storm 2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Storm 2.jpg (186KB - 321 downloads)
bbeaupre
Posted 7/12/2017 6:41 PM (#869937 - in reply to #869779)
Subject: RE: Thunder storms

Had one of our best windows ever immediately following a huge thunderstorm/hail storm. Fish were crazy for and hour or so. Our boat caught 3 and lost 3 and saw 3 others caught by the other 2 boats that waited out the storm.
T3clay
Posted 7/13/2017 12:58 AM (#869968 - in reply to #869779)

Well had a great night (see other post) but there were actually no storms or even any indications of storms in sight.... dang weather man
Musky_Mo16
Posted 7/13/2017 1:03 AM (#869969 - in reply to #869968)

T3clay - 7/13/2017 12:58 AM

Well had a great night (see other post) but there were actually no storms or even any indications of storms in sight.... dang weather man

Any luck???
Musky_Mo16
Posted 7/13/2017 1:34 AM (#869971 - in reply to #869779)

Never mind, just saw the other thread.
25homes
Posted 7/13/2017 7:16 AM (#869982 - in reply to #869968)

T3clay - 7/13/2017 12:58 AM

Maybe it was just enough to change the pressure who knows but atleast you got out and did well
detroithardcore
Posted 7/13/2017 11:35 AM (#870017 - in reply to #869779)

Anytime you have unpredictable summer weather with the Barometer Dropping it can be epic fishing and also very dangerous lightening, heavy wind and rain. LSC this year has seen its share of really nasty stuff and unfortunately I've been caught in a few very very scary situations. The fishing was great prefrontal and post but when it was pouring on us with huge wind and huge waves the fishing stopped. Just 2 weeks back on LSC we were 20 miles out in lake nowhere near safety. Perfect bluebird day and within minutes a huge cell popped up and grew as it crossed the lake. Some of the nastiest stuff I've seen in a long time. Only 2 options for us being Americans fishing in Canadian Water is 1) drive directly into the storm coming from the US side and take our chances to seek shelter or get to ramp (storms usually come from the West in the US and run east to the lake) or 2) ride it out praying lightening doesn't hit us. BUT, there is also a third option and that is run into a few Canadian Rivers and tie up to a dock and take our chances with Canadian Customs. I'm really never worried about rain, big waves and wind. My Ranger can handle it and feel safe but it's the lightening that gets you being a moving target in a big open body of water and the highest point on the lake. Well, waves truly grew to well over 5' and couldn't get enough speed to outrun the storm in such heavy seas, huge wind and sheets of rain. So we were stuck and had to ride it out. I shut all power down in the boat, put rods in rod locker and just drifted while sitting down in boat praying lightening over our heads and closer than 7 miles from us didn't decide to strike us. Some will say "why didn't you anchor up with such a big storm and big wind?" I could have simply cause I do have so much anchor rope to be safe and not take water over now but I've learned with my Ranger that the platform is so stable that it's actually safe to just drift with waves even stuff over 5' if you put the stern into the oncoming waves. She rides right up and over them drifting. If I was to anchor I could easily take too much water over the bow and possibly drown the boat. It was another scary moment we survived and I've had in my lifetime to many close calls on LSC in my where I truly was regretting being so dumb. We just fished a couple days ago and fishing was epic with several trophies boated right before a big storm hit. We didn't leave only because I have radar and lightening app on my phone and can read the storm knowing we're gonna get wet, gonna be really windy but there's no lightening so we're safe. In the summer on LSC I live fishing with my cell phone apps checking them nearly 15 minutes. Always checking radar and lightening apps to make sure nothing has built and coming for us. Nothing is worse than being stuck 20 miles out in open water on LSC and trying to make it to safety. Waves can build to 5'-7 easy (even more) and you can only go 20-30 mph and the storm coming down on you is moving at 45mph. LSC is a shallow lake, a delta and most times you don't see the usual easy 6 foot rollers to navigate. It's all scattered, really choppy waves and at times they come from every direction so you can't always just ride the trough or quarter the big waves where it's a nice pleasant ride. It can be a pain in the ass driving a boat out there when it's blowing! So to answer your question....some of the best fishing for ANY species salt and fresh is prefrontal storms or even post frontal storms and any major changes in weather, Baro, wind direction change, etc etc will trigger fish to eat. The question is to decide if you can catch those fish right before storms hit and if you can easily and quickly get to safety. Fishing big water we travel very long distances to catch fish and at times in heavy wind and waves it can take us at least an hour in a good 20' fiberglass deep v boat to go 20 miles. I've learned fast many many years ago that wearing ski googles in rain/storm can make the difference between making it back safe or stuck in sheets of rain and wind not being able to see a #*^@ thing. Again, especially in summer I can't stress enough to have an accurate radar and lightening app on your phone that you can look at no matter if your in US or Canadian water (roaming charges suck but worth the cost to keep up to date information). Many many years ago I was fishing solo on LSC. I was doing the late afternoon till late evening bite type deal in the dog days of summer. Sure enough just before dark this huge cell pops up (didn't have radar or apps at that time too long ago) and I was 13 miles from the ramp. I was forced to go to Gull Island (an island between channels going into the St. Clair River and at the tip of LSC. I ran fast and could only make it there in time of all the wind, rain and scary lightening. I beached my boat in near pitch black skies on and island at nighttime and was the only person out there. I threw my anchor on shore in the sand and tried to find some type of cover. Few trees and woods but kinda laid up in the sand on a small sand hill. No clue how big the storms were I sat there in the dark till 230am by myself. Had my automatic bilge kick on and had to use my manual bilge. Wind got so bad my boat almost beached 3 times sideways so I'd run out in the water and push my stern back out. It was not a fun experience. I waited until 230am when it cleared with only heat lightening in the sky and made the 13 mile long run in middle of night back to the ramp. Just before I got to island lightening was cracking so bad it blinded me, gave me a huge headache (for days) and all hair on body was sticking up, I could feel the energy from the strike so close to my boat running to safety. My ears were ringing and couldn't hear anything for a bit. For the life of me I'll never forget that night and I can truly say I was terrified.

Edited by detroithardcore 7/13/2017 12:18 PM
T3clay
Posted 7/13/2017 10:50 PM (#870077 - in reply to #869779)

Tha ks everyone i guess my main question was post storm fronts, as everyone knows pre frontal is ideal. Tha ks again for all the info
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 7/14/2017 7:52 AM (#870093 - in reply to #870077)

T3clay - 7/13/2017 11:50 PM

Tha ks everyone i guess my main question was post storm fronts, as everyone knows pre frontal is ideal. Tha ks again for all the info

Get right out and hammer em right after the storm. They will be turned up.
muskyhunter07
Posted 7/14/2017 10:25 AM (#870108 - in reply to #869779)

After the storm should be good, different story when you have 4+ extra feet of water. lake gets much bigger.
NPike
Posted 7/14/2017 7:03 PM (#870183 - in reply to #869863)

Espy - 7/12/2017 1:15 PM

Fish up to it, and after a storm. Not worth the risk fishing during.It only takes one time and you're done.

If you follow this philosophy, how do you prevent a Thunderstorm from catching up with you. A storm (hence sometimes very dangerous conditions) can blow in very quickly. It can go from a few MPH to > 30 MPH in minutes.
esoxaddict
Posted 7/14/2017 7:31 PM (#870188 - in reply to #870183)

NPike - 7/14/2017 7:03 PM

If you follow this philosophy, how do you prevent a Thunderstorm from catching up with you. A storm (hence sometimes very dangerous conditions) can blow in very quickly. It can go from a few MPH to > 30 MPH in minutes.

Most of the time, nature gives you the clues well ahead of time. Absent the weather apps and radar, etc. strong weather systems are usually accompanied with huge drops in barometric pressure. You can feel that in the air. You can look at the shoreline and see the leaves on the trees curling up. The whole environment responds. The seagulls, the deer, the loons, eagles, they all seem to know it's coming. So do the fish. You can see the changes in the shoreline vegetation. You can see the bait fish up high on your graph. You can watch the bubbles sitting on the surface from a tail prop bait...

It's subtle to most, oblivious to many, but utterly apparent to the few that really pay attention to their surroundings.

Most guys will chalk this up to B.S. That's fine. But you can feel it coming if you pay attention.
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 7/15/2017 12:53 AM (#870205 - in reply to #869779)

Stuck a 52.5 tonight in the midst of a nasty-ish storm. Just get out there and fish. They waitin for ya..
T3clay
Posted 7/15/2017 7:51 AM (#870212 - in reply to #869779)

Hoping to join that 50 club soon.... not many of them.in the waters i usually fish. I have a short trip planned up north in august though
detroithardcore
Posted 7/15/2017 8:51 AM (#870216 - in reply to #870188)

I totally agree with you 100%. So many clues..if you truly pay attention and it's not BS at all. The radar and apps can really help to determine path of storm, if there's lightening, etc etc. but if you pay attention to your surroundings you can pick up on a storm coming.

esoxaddict - 7/14/2017 8:31 PM

Most of the time, nature gives you the clues well ahead of time. Absent the weather apps and radar, etc. strong weather systems are usually accompanied with huge drops in barometric pressure. You can feel that in the air. You can look at the shoreline and see the leaves on the trees curling up. The whole environment responds. The seagulls, the deer, the loons, eagles, they all seem to know it's coming. So do the fish. You can see the changes in the shoreline vegetation. You can see the bait fish up high on your graph. You can watch the bubbles sitting on the surface from a tail prop bait...

It's subtle to most, oblivious to many, but utterly apparent to the few that really pay attention to their surroundings.

Most guys will chalk this up to B.S. That's fine. But you can feel it coming if you pay attention.
NPike
Posted 7/16/2017 2:04 PM (#870354 - in reply to #870216)

detroithardcore - 7/15/2017 9:51 AM

I totally agree with you 100%. So many clues..if you truly pay attention and it's not BS at all. The radar and apps can really help to determine path of storm, if there's lightening, etc etc. but if you pay attention to your surroundings you can pick up on a storm coming.

esoxaddict - 7/14/2017 8:31 PM

This tends to be true. I've been on the water and in the woods for > 30 years. But I've been caught off guard a few times and scared s-less because of it.

Edited by NPike 7/16/2017 2:05 PM
djwilliams
Posted 7/17/2017 10:26 AM (#870428 - in reply to #869779)

Last August my wife and I were fishing Battle Point right before a storm that was to the north moving easterly. It was getting darker and more ominous- high humidity, warm temps, wind almost zero- Perfect muskie time. Tammy kept saying she was getting shocked by her reel. I looked over and her hair was standing straight up. I said, "put down your rod", and we raced out of there. I'll be a lot more cautious next time.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)