Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Newbie that is addicted

Message Subject: Newbie that is addicted
Muskyaddiction
Posted 7/8/2017 5:17 PM (#868239)
Subject: Newbie that is addicted

First off I'm not new to fishing, but Musky fishing is new to me.
Well friends of mine asked if I wanted to go with them to Eagle Lake, Ontario this summer with our wives and immediately said yes when I learned that there were musky on Eagle Lake. So not having any musky gear, I spent the $ on a St. Croix LT rod and a Okuma Komodo SS 643 Reel, Also bought various lures, man you can spend some money quick on musky gear. Fast forward to the trip, we started fishing
July 1st and my friends love to target walleye so for the first few days I followed them around to learn the lake. I finally had enough of the walleye fishing as it was slow because of a late Mayfly hatch. I then focused on pike and muskie, First evening targeting muskie which was the 2nd last day of our trip my wife pulled in a 44" and I had a follow on top water bait. Next morning I had 2 follows and she again got another muskie this time 34". We also caught a few really nice pike. Even though I didn't catch one I am addicted, I already wanting to go back. I wish I would of just fished the whole trip for pike and muskie, next time I will.
smithy97
Posted 7/8/2017 6:42 PM (#868248 - in reply to #868239)
Subject: RE: Newbie that is addicted

Welcome aboard! Glad you saw some action your first time out. Once you catch your first one you will be officially hooked for life
Musky Face
Posted 7/8/2017 6:42 PM (#868249 - in reply to #868239)
Subject: Re: Newbie that is addicted

Lol. You just fish one of the premier musky destinations. Someday I wish to make it up there and fish for Musky's. That lake has some giants! Hopefully you live near some musky lakes to relieve the addiction. Lol. Welcome to the musky zone and hope you get one sooner than later. Happy fishing!
Walleyedoctor
Posted 7/9/2017 9:18 AM (#868306 - in reply to #868239)

You have now been exposed to a very toxic combination: Eagle Lake and muskies! Fortunately you have included your wife so your marriage is safe. Otherwise this sport can consume you. Welcome to the club!
25homes
Posted 7/11/2017 9:14 AM (#869608 - in reply to #868239)

Enjoy and yes you can drop some serious cash quick...Little piece of advice to new muskie guy getting started you got a good set up with Rod and reel...You bought some baits and that is the Key get yourself few sold baits couple bucktails couloe top waters along with cranks and jerks dive rise and learn how to fish them maybe 2-3 of each max and master them...You can get consumed quickly buying baits its not gonna put more fish in the boat...Get out and Fish dont waste all your money on baits it can happen quickly before you even realize you have spent thousands on baits
kdebell
Posted 7/11/2017 9:42 AM (#869615 - in reply to #869608)

One of the most important things you should spend a little cash on is good release tools. Pliers, knipex mini bolt cutters, hook outs, etc.
redskeet100
Posted 7/11/2017 4:14 PM (#869707 - in reply to #868239)

You will soon learn that you only need about 5-10 baits, and then soon will find yourself fishing just two of those the whole trip. Eagle is incredible, and can be discouraging. You just have to keep casting and figure 8ing, as soon as you get lazy you will blow one by not doing a figure 8 or doing a sloppy one that doesn't trigger the fish. Welcome to the insanity.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)