Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> MN Metro Lakes in Decline

Message Subject: MN Metro Lakes in Decline
kdebell
Posted 6/30/2017 1:24 PM (#867238 - in reply to #867234)
Subject: Re: MN Metro Lakes in Decline

I have been told that the Natives do not need to get permission from the DNR, If there is added revenue to their businesses from musky fisherman, that could help.
BNelson
Posted 6/30/2017 1:42 PM (#867247 - in reply to #867169)

one other thing to consider, I'm not sure I'd put all your stock in the population being that low. If you keep an eye on the bite in other areas, you would know that overall it was a very slow June. LSC was even "slow" most of the time. Madison lakes have been very slow for most, we have tons of fish but it is simply taking more hours on the water to catch them ...if you talk to other guys fishing other areas of MN, in general they have said it has been slower than normal...yah sure some guys will have a great day or trip here and there, but if you look at the big picture, overall this June was slow versus last year....so... while your lakes may not have as many fish, I'm sure part of it has to do with the fact it was a slow June ....

Edited by BNelson 6/30/2017 1:45 PM
Dirt Esox
Posted 6/30/2017 2:14 PM (#867255 - in reply to #867247)

BNelson - 6/30/2017 1:42 PM one other thing to consider, I'm not sure I'd put all your stock in the population being that low. If you keep an eye on the bite in other areas, you would know that overall it was a very slow June. LSC was even "slow" most of the time. Madison lakes have been very slow for most, we have tons of fish but it is simply taking more hours on the water to catch them ...if you talk to other guys fishing other areas of MN, in general they have said it has been slower than normal...yah sure some guys will have a great day or trip here and there, but if you look at the big picture, overall this June was slow versus last year....so... while your lakes may not have as many fish, I'm sure part of it has to do with the fact it was a slow June ....

It's not about June, it's about the last 5/6 years steadily declining.  There are just not the # of fish there were.   Angler numbers up significantly, stocking is actually down from what it was 10-15 years ago, pretty simple.  It is absolutely in decline.

BNelson
Posted 6/30/2017 2:17 PM (#867256 - in reply to #867255)

agreed, the #s aren't there from what you guys say... hope it turns around for you...
Smell_Esox
Posted 6/30/2017 2:23 PM (#867260 - in reply to #867169)

MN DNR has recently moved toward using fewer natural muskie rearing ponds and raising most of their fingerlings in drainable ponds. This is because natural ponds have trended toward not winterkilling as frequently as in the past and their production has not been as consistent. No carryover muskie exist in drainable ponds. All older stocked fish come from natural rearing ponds that carryover fish that aren't harvested because they didn't winterkill. There may be DNR interest in using more natural ponds again. This may mean that more carryover fish could be available in the future. I emphasize MAY. As was stated earlier, natural rearing ponds are selected that tend to winterkill frequently so they can be used more often for raising fingerlings. If they don't winterkill, you cannot use the pond again until it does as the remaining muskies will eat just about every little muskie stocked in the pond. The number of frylings produced at hatcheries is not excessive so to waste fish by dumping them into a pond full of carryover muskie isn't very smart. That is the beauty of using drainable ponds as they are devoid of competition from other fish when the frylings are stocked. Also, to try and raise yearling or 2 year old muskies would be extremely expensive as aeration would probably be required and possibly feeding fish would be necessary.
25homes
Posted 6/30/2017 2:31 PM (#867264 - in reply to #867196)

Nershi - 6/30/2017 11:25 AM

It has been awhile since I read the Minnesota Muskie Management Plan, so correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe the DNR raises any fish to adult age for stocking purposes. I believe the adults that get stocked are fish used for egg collection in brood stock lakes that need to be taken out. Raising a fish to adulthood is not cost effective or practical. The cost difference to raise them to a yearling vs a fingerling is pretty substantial from what I have heard from DNR folks. Just pointing that out because OP's post focuses on adult stocking and I don't think that is something that will ever be in their plan.

It would interesting to see a study on survival rates to adulthood of yearlings vs fingerlings. You could stock two lakes with similar features and compare one lake with fingerlings with the other that gets yearlings. The survival rates of fingerlings has got to be pretty low based on the population density of some lakes I fish that get a good number of fingerlings per acre. Just a guess but I would think it would be more cost effective to stock much lower numbers of yearlings instead of stocking high number of fingerlings that just become fish food. That said, I am sure there is a lot more cost factors to consider that I am not aware of.

There is info out there on yearlings vs fingerlings and yearlings survival rate is a lot higher than fingerlings....My question why could you just raise them until they are 2-3 years old should be plenty big by then to survive at a much higher rate...a yearling is almost doule size of a fingerling so a 2 year fish has got to be over 20 inches for sure id think maybe close to 24 and I would think a fish that size would have a much higher survival rate
Espy
Posted 6/30/2017 3:13 PM (#867275 - in reply to #867264)

25homes - 6/30/2017 2:31 PM

My question why could you just raise them until they are 2-3 years old should be plenty big by then to survive at a much higher rate...a yearling is almost doule size of a fingerling so a 2 year fish has got to be over 20 inches for sure id think maybe close to 24 and I would think a fish that size would have a much higher survival rate

I think there isn't enough resources to make something like this happen, physically and financially. The costs associated with raising a fish that long are exponential. Not to mention the risks involved (disease, winter kill). Putting a lot of eggs in one basket. If the DNR had the resources to raise fish longer they would already be doing so.

Stocking fingerlings to adults is probably a 1000:1 exchange
happy hooker
Posted 6/30/2017 3:35 PM (#867285 - in reply to #867264)

IMHO

"No more Rod Ramsell"!! To me that's most of the answer especially in the west metro look at the time periods of when it was his reign and when the fishing was the best, Rod should have probably been in the CIA because he was a "ends justifies the means" type who ruffled some feathers but what He did worked!!!,,Rod Ramsell was the best friend metro muskie fisherman ever had and I don't think we ever see fishing like that again.

White bear lake,, Originally The TC chapter of MI approached the DNR wanting to stock it, DNR said "we don't think it will work too many pike and bass" but they let us if we treat it like a puppy and WE take care of it "stocking the fish" which the MI chapters did and it became a great lake,,Dnr started stocking too afterwards and MI continues to this day putting fish in when needed and allowed to.

Minnetonka gets shorted once in a while??? Well maybe it's a case when there's not enough fish raised Tonka gets shorted because somebody figures once the TC chapter of MI finds out their favorite lake isn't getting stocked they will want to annie up and buy the fish from the private growers,,which they have done every time when needed just let us buy more if available!!

My opinion is let us convert some of the little used tiger lakes to purestrain which is what metro guys want to fish for " we will buy the fish",,"Too shallow,too small,too soft and dark to grow decent pures" is the response you hear but yet the number one brood stock lake in the state lake Rebecca is what 200 acres less then 40 feet and about has soft and dark has a triple chocolate shake. This lake doesn't even fit the so called needed criteria but yet it harbors nice enough specimens to be the number one brood stock. Let us stock lakes like Phalen,Bush Pierson,and the other lightly used or former tiger lakes.

Edited by happy hooker 6/30/2017 3:41 PM
FlyPiker
Posted 6/30/2017 4:38 PM (#867307 - in reply to #867169)

I do know that there was a stretch there where the overall Muskie stocking suffered due to poor results with fish making it to fingerlings - there just wasn't enough fish to meet the quotas. If I remember right, it was either 2016 or 2015 was the first year in several they were able to meet the quotas for the lakes that were due to be stocked that year. I do agree, metro lakes have been on the decline - and that was something the DNR was aware of and called it out as the initial "stocking boom" was going to collapse. Either way, it will be hard to convince the DNR to increase stocking when you got the Lake Associations crying wolf.
Pointerpride102
Posted 6/30/2017 5:28 PM (#867316 - in reply to #867202)

bbradley - 6/30/2017 11:35 AM

You know the DNR is in shambles when you go to write the fisheries department and the email address comes back as unbelievable....

Who did you email? What address?
whynot
Posted 6/30/2017 10:33 PM (#867350 - in reply to #867169)

You guys need to slow your roll on the DNR bashing. They've done an incredible job establishing many world class fisheries and they're adding musky lakes in the face of staunch opposition. Musky fishing is still musky fishing. The pressure over the past 15 years has skyrocketed and fish are getting educated. Some fish die as a result of getting caught. Throw in a slow year or two and we turn into DNR bashing, the sky is falling, whiners like some of the antis? Come on. Too much work went into getting the fisheries we have now to throw the people that got us what we have under the bus.
bturg
Posted 6/30/2017 10:40 PM (#867352 - in reply to #867285)

happy hooker - 6/30/2017 3:35 PM

IMHO

"No more Rod Ramsell"!! To me that's most of the answer especially in the west metro look at the time periods of when it was his reign and when the fishing was the best, Rod should have probably been in the CIA because he was a "ends justifies the means" type who ruffled some feathers but what He did worked!!!,,Rod Ramsell was the best friend metro muskie fisherman ever had and I don't think we ever see fishing like that again.

White bear lake,, Originally The TC chapter of MI approached the DNR wanting to stock it, DNR said "we don't think it will work too many pike and bass" but they let us if we treat it like a puppy and WE take care of it "stocking the fish" which the MI chapters did and it became a great lake,,Dnr started stocking too afterwards and MI continues to this day putting fish in when needed and allowed to.

Minnetonka gets shorted once in a while??? Well maybe it's a case when there's not enough fish raised Tonka gets shorted because somebody figures once the TC chapter of MI finds out their favorite lake isn't getting stocked they will want to annie up and buy the fish from the private growers,,which they have done every time when needed just let us buy more if available!!

My opinion is let us convert some of the little used tiger lakes to purestrain which is what metro guys want to fish for " we will buy the fish",,"Too shallow,too small,too soft and dark to grow decent pures" is the response you hear but yet the number one brood stock lake in the state lake Rebecca is what 200 acres less then 40 feet and about has soft and dark has a triple chocolate shake. This lake doesn't even fit the so called needed criteria but yet it harbors nice enough specimens to be the number one brood stock. Let us stock lakes like Phalen,Bush Pierson,and the other lightly used or former tiger lakes.

Hooker has as good of a grasp on the issue as anyone as he is always directly involved both on the fishing and getting stuff done fronts. One reality is most people do little to contribute but complain about the results. Ask yourself what you have done to improve the fishery yourself... a little something is way better than a lot of nothing. Know your strengths, if working with the DNR and political avenues is not your strength find a way to support the cause. Help out, write a ck, send an email...do something.

Our unfortunate reality is that if we never fished for them there would be more than enough muskies...kind of a Yogi Berra thing. Fishing mortality is the biggest issue and I'm not sure the DNR is taking that in to account...again I'm not sure so don't take that as a statement of fact. The more people fish for them the more stocking needs to happen to keep up as angler induced mortality is an unfortunate reality. I don't think money is really the issue it's more of a what it takes to get things done thing. That said things are certainly tougher than when things peaked but that is also a reality of introducing a new species into any fishery. Also that said we have an unbelievable availability of trophy fish close to home in the metro area where a 50-55 inch plus possibility is viable on a number of waters every time we launch a boat for those of us who live here.

And the cold weather pattern certainly keeps a lot of "popular" patterns from producing fish...get out of the box a bit and work it. It's still a great place to fish but certainly things can be improved with some cooperation and work.

Edited by bturg 6/30/2017 10:44 PM
tkuntz
Posted 7/1/2017 8:37 AM (#867369 - in reply to #867169)

Coming from an outsider looking in. It seems exceptionally difficult to maintain gangbusters fishing success within a metropolitan area of 3.5+ million people. Any good fishery, muskie or otherwise, will get heavily exploited when it's good. That pressure will inevitably affect the fishery, which could be what the TC metro is experiencing.
Fishysam
Posted 7/1/2017 8:56 AM (#867372 - in reply to #867369)

I would say I have seen 1 fish in four full days on the water and then 3 months later we saw 100 one day and 60-70 the very next day. My belief is the lakes are normalizing to stable populations and the amount of people is to high for the amount of LAKES with population. We need more lakes not more population.

Other things to consider is how the Internet may affect fishing pressure. I see multiple Wisconsin and Minnesota vehicles fishing tiny 100 acre lakes here in ND, along with100's of other people. If WBL is turning on and lots of people have Ben skimming on Minnetonka why would they not go to WBL? My thoughts are simple keep things to yourself two three weeks then share some basic usefull information. But do not give people the keys to what you have learned.

Two examples is last year people kept asking if they have moved up on the rocks at leach yet... Why would people give up what they have been learning with there time?

Also when someone owns 8 lures and isn't moving fish yet I move 2 an hour, why would I tell him what his 9th lure is? I have spent the time washing baits, learning how to manipulate them when and where to use them. If I find a golden ticket I'm going to keep that to myself to make my time on the water, muskies do get educated clearly d10's aren't as good as when they first came out, yes they are still important but they aren't the same.
Mojo1269
Posted 7/1/2017 9:03 AM (#867376 - in reply to #867352)

bturg - 6/30/2017 10:40 PM

And the cold weather pattern certainly keeps a lot of "popular" patterns from producing fish...get out of the box a bit and work it. It's still a great place to fish but certainly things can be improved with some cooperation and work.

Both sentences could not be more true. Time on the water, thinking out of the box and a reduction in fishing "memories" will get more fish in your boat. Becoming part of the solution and pitching in however one can will put more fish in the lakes...
raftman
Posted 7/1/2017 12:15 PM (#867391 - in reply to #867369)

tkuntz - 7/1/2017 8:37 AM

Coming from an outsider looking in. It seems exceptionally difficult to maintain gangbusters fishing success within a metropolitan area of 3.5+ million people. Any good fishery, muskie or otherwise, will get heavily exploited when it's good. That pressure will inevitably affect the fishery, which could be what the TC metro is experiencing.

Would have to agree. I spent several enjoyable open water seasons from 2009 to 2013 as an average angler learning to fish muskies on Tonka when if a spot looked like a classic muskie spot it probably had one sitting on it. I enjoyed it, but didn't figure it could last w/ the always increasing number of muskie boats out there. Then you had the zeebs clearing up the water and the weedlines expanding deeper. Don't know what it is been like since moving away but it seems like it would be a tougher go with fewer fish, smarter fish, and more places to hide.
mnmusky
Posted 7/1/2017 12:29 PM (#867392 - in reply to #867169)
Subject: RE: MN Metro Lakes in Decline

just get better at fishing and it shouldn't be a problem.
or maybe buy one of those $200+ lures.
Herb_b
Posted 7/5/2017 3:52 PM (#867809 - in reply to #867169)

I don't know if the number of Muskies is down or not. I don't fish nearly as much as many of you. But, I do get out some and have only had one outing this year without seeing a Muskie and that was on Baby Lake near Longville, where I never have luck anyway. What I have found in the metro is the Muskies are changing their patterns and are deeper than they were ten years ago. On Minnetonka, for instance, weeds are now growing in over 20 ft of water where the weed edges used to end about 14 or 15 feet. The clearer water, as a result of the zebra mussels, has simply allowed the weeds to grow much deeper and the fish have moved down in the water column. I've seen the same thing happen on a northern MN lake after the lake shore owners put in improved sewage systems. The water on that lake became much clearer, the weeds grew deeper and the fish moved much deeper as a result. Fishermen that moved deeper caught fish. Those that fished in the same old shallower spots not so much.

I suggest trying to fish deeper. Work a big spinner bait, a diving crankbait or a plastic bait down to near the deep weeds. If the fish are 20 ft down and your lure is only 5 ft down, your odds aren't very good of getting the fish to move. Get that lure down to 15 ft and your odds will increase.

Good luck.
Brad P
Posted 7/6/2017 9:13 AM (#867918 - in reply to #867169)

I can chime in on this a bit. A few issues going on here. Let's tackle the fry vs. fingerling vs. yearling thing first. The MNDNR believes (I use that word because I myself do not know for certain) that yearling, despite being much more expensive offer a significant advantage in survivability vs. fingerlings or fry. Thy are doing a tracking study in the metro with PIT tags to assess this hypothesis right now. I believe that study has been going on for three or four years if I am recalling correctly. I think there is website you can go to to see the results, but I'm not recalling the address right now, sorry.

So when looking at stocking numbers it is important to consider what was stocked in the past vs the present. If the previous stockings were fry or fingerlings then the raw number of fish stocked is going to be higher (much higher in the case of fry) but the survivability of those stocked fish is going to be lower. How much is the key question and why they are doing the PIT tag study. Anecdotally, I've do not think I've ever heard someone make a case that the yearlings do not do a lot better in terms of making it to adulthood vs. fingerling or fry. In other words if multiple sizes are present, the numbers are fish are not an apples to apples comparison.

The other big issue is the AMOUNT or LEVEL of stocking. This is a big topic and there are lot of opinions going around. I personally hold the view that was articulated above with the comment about building a fishery vs. maintaining it as I feel the DNR isn't doing the best job of maintaining the fisheries. The Lunge log isn't a perfect source of data by any means, but it shows a general crash in muskies logged in MN starting in 2008. If you really want to get depressed, filter on Millle Lacs over the past 20 years. (SIGH)

I generally feel that more fish stocked is a good idea, but there are counter opinions and I'm not a biologist. So not looking to get into the weeds on that at all. Just sharing some info for your consumption.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)