Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Relocating to Sayner/Plum Lake, WI

Message Subject: Relocating to Sayner/Plum Lake, WI
TheShow
Posted 6/27/2017 11:49 AM (#866668)
Subject: Relocating to Sayner/Plum Lake, WI

Muskie First members - I usually come to you from far S/E WI however my wife just accepted an awesome opportunity in the area and we are permanently relocating to Vilas County. We have an accepted offer on a home just outside of Sayner, WI.

For the most part I'm exclusively a musky fisherman so I see I have an abundance of new lakes to try. (We formerly vacationed on Squirrel Lake so the majority of my fishing was done there and on Booth, Buckskin, Squaw, Pike/Round etc). now Plum, Star, and Razorback are within a minute or 2 of our place. But another 10 plus musky lakes lie just down the road!

I'm looking for advice/suggestions/tips, on everything from the area lakes, new restaurants to try, to nearby family friendly events and festivals, etc. My wife and I have been married 10 years and we have 2 sons.

I will be joining the Eagle River chapter of Muskies Inc this fall to meet some new fellow anglers.

We'll be completing the move in early August. We're are extremely excited about the new professional and family opportunities that await us.

Feel free to PM or fire away here. We look forward to making new friends in the area!
Thanks,
Nick
'Big Show'

Edited by TheShow 6/27/2017 11:50 AM
jonnysled
Posted 6/27/2017 11:53 AM (#866670 - in reply to #866668)
Subject: Re: Relocating to Sayner/Plum Lake, WI

Congrats on your move ... you are landing into an absolutely fantastic spot!! I live in the south suburbs of Minocqua so give a shout anytime. First things first ... best Perch and Twice-Baked potato or Sunday Chicken is found at Fibber's and the Best Cheeseburger is at The Timbers, both just down the road from you in St. Germaine. Sayner Pub claims Pizza and is good and there are a few others worth checking into but still an area of opportunity up here.

Good luck on your move!!

Edited by jonnysled 6/27/2017 11:54 AM
sworrall
Posted 6/27/2017 12:04 PM (#866673 - in reply to #866668)

Sue and I have a place out in a community on Shish West of Minocqua 5 minutes from Squirrel, let us know if we can help with any fishing info. Maybe once you get settled in a dinner at sled's recommended eatery and directions to meet him would be cool. Tons of very good water up there!
cincinnati
Posted 6/27/2017 4:25 PM (#866733 - in reply to #866668)
Subject: RE: Relocating to Sayner/Plum Lake, WI

TheShow - 6/27/2017 12:49 PM
my wife just accepted an awesome opportunity in the area and we are permanently relocating to Vilas County. We have an accepted offer on a home just outside of Sayner, WI.

A guy w/this kind of luck should go buy a lottery ticket. Congratulations!
fishdawg
Posted 6/27/2017 7:50 PM (#866752 - in reply to #866670)

jonnysled - 6/27/2017 11:53 AM

Congrats on your move ... you are landing into an absolutely fantastic spot!! I live in the south suburbs of Minocqua so give a shout anytime. First things first ... best Perch and Twice-Baked potato or Sunday Chicken is found at Fibber's and the Best Cheeseburger is at The Timbers, both just down the road from you in St. Germaine. Sayner Pub claims Pizza and is good and there are a few others worth checking into but still an area of opportunity up here.

Good luck on your move!!

Wait, Minoocqua has suburbs?
kmeyer
Posted 6/27/2017 9:04 PM (#866764 - in reply to #866668)

Congrats Nick! That is a sweet area there. I too just purchased a lake house in the Minocqua south suburbs:) It's kinda like south Chicago. I'm splitting time for the next 2 years and then will be full time up there. Can't wait!
Cowboyhannah
Posted 6/27/2017 10:00 PM (#866770 - in reply to #866668)

Best pizza: Vinchis corner of G and N
Best breakfast: Wolf Pack---pancakes are a MUST!
Best Bakery: Camps in St. Germain---toast the English muffin bread you won't regret it...donuts of all kinds are the best too...the giant cake donuts are like no other,
Best Bait: Rays Landing

We have a cabin up there...headed up tomorrow!
muskie-don58
Posted 6/28/2017 4:44 AM (#866780 - in reply to #866668)

You are living a dream,; way cool !
Bucky_Musky
Posted 6/28/2017 7:16 AM (#866788 - in reply to #866668)

Fished Plum this last August. We didn't have the best fishing weather, but managed to get an upper 30s on the South end. Crystal clear water with great weeds on the south end. Makes for fun fishing, but difficult on the sunny bluebird days. Congrats on the new move. Sounds like you are living the dream.
Clammer
Posted 6/28/2017 8:33 AM (#866807 - in reply to #866668)

You dirty dog!! So sweet, congrats! I know its my dream.
I'm liking the food suggestions you are getting. I visit my son, he lives on Long Lake, so tips for the best places to eat are always appreciated!
Clammer
ToddM
Posted 6/28/2017 10:30 AM (#866837 - in reply to #866668)

Kind of like a dog in a field of fire hydrants.
Clammer
Posted 6/28/2017 1:21 PM (#866881 - in reply to #866837)

ToddM - 6/28/2017 10:30 AM

Kind of like a dog in a field of fire hydrants.

Nice.
TheShow
Posted 6/29/2017 7:37 AM (#867002 - in reply to #866881)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I recall seeing signs for many of the mentioned establishments as we drove around learning the area and house shopping. Definitely looking forward to trying them out.

And to those of you who've extended invitations - I'll definitely be taking you up on those once we get settled. I've met some great people through this forum. Your offers are sincerely appreciated.

Thanks!
Nick
EastwoodNorris
Posted 6/30/2017 7:37 PM (#867328 - in reply to #866668)

Some of Wisconsin's best trophy waters are in very close proximity to you.
ToddM
Posted 7/1/2017 2:04 PM (#867407 - in reply to #866668)

Another thing to do, goto rollie and helens and get all the area fishing books they have. Sportmams connection and the russ wayre/ken jackson area books. Some great info and a great way to find and eliminate water. Your head will spin with all the opportunites you have up there but it gives you the best opportunity to discover some very special places.

Edited by ToddM 7/1/2017 2:05 PM
jonnysled
Posted 7/1/2017 2:15 PM (#867408 - in reply to #867407)

ToddM - 7/1/2017 2:04 PM

Another thing to do, goto rollie and helens and get all the area fishing books they have. Sportmams connection and the russ wayre/ken jackson area books. Some great info and a great way to find and eliminate water. Your head will spin with all the opportunites you have up there but it gives you the best opportunity to discover some very special places.

a file index of old guide maps also available at Townline Sports in Manitowish Waters ... not the best, but fun to see some maps that go way back ...
Yooper Padre
Posted 7/3/2017 7:04 AM (#867516 - in reply to #866668)

Try the perch at the Minocqua Brewing Company. Actually, try anything there.

Fr. K
Peter Stoltman
Posted 7/6/2017 9:25 PM (#868046 - in reply to #866668)

If you take Todd M's advice and stop by Rollie & Helen's seek me out. Be happy to share some specific fishing info with you. I live in St. Germain. Best advice I received when I moved to the area was to not try to fish every lake in the county. Pick out a handful of different types and learn those. Then add a couple more lakes every year. I've lived here 15 years and still have a long way to go!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)