Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> New guy with ?'s about Bad river Ashland WI

Message Subject: New guy with ?'s about Bad river Ashland WI
2015xr700
Posted 5/4/2017 11:38 AM (#860722)
Subject: New guy with ?'s about Bad river Ashland WI

Hi guys. I would like to fish the Bad River near Ashland. Is this possible or is it all on reservation land? If so, is it worth even going there? I have seen some pics and it looks very remote which appeals to me. Thanks in advance.
Flambeauski
Posted 5/4/2017 11:47 AM (#860724 - in reply to #860722)
Subject: Re: New guy with ?'s about Bad river Ashland WI

Fish it upstream of the reservation or come in from the lake. It's about 7 miles via boat to the mouth whether you go from 2nd landing in Ashland or Bodin's in Washburn.

14ledo81
Posted 5/4/2017 1:14 PM (#860735 - in reply to #860724)

Flambeauski - 5/4/2017 11:47 AM

Fish it upstream of the reservation or come in from the lake. It's about 7 miles via boat to the mouth whether you go from 2nd landing in Ashland or Bodin's in Washburn.

^^^^
Pretty much this. Unless you know someone with private property bordering the river, there is really no other way.
2015xr700
Posted 5/4/2017 2:31 PM (#860745 - in reply to #860722)
Subject: RE: New guy with ?'s about Bad river Ashland WI

Thanks again guys! A few more questions. Does the DNR's website show the locations of the places to get on it, and also what kind of boat setup would work best for this? I already have a 16.5' boat w/ a 90 hp for lake fishing I am looking at 14' flat bottom jon boats w/ a trolling motor to use just for river fishing. Will that be the way to go or is there a better setup to look at? Thanks
14ledo81
Posted 5/4/2017 5:08 PM (#860754 - in reply to #860722)

I don't think the DNR shows anything because there is not a way to get on it. Like has been said, either come in from the mouth or know someone with private land bordering the river.

Flat bottom john boat would probably be best. The river is pretty rugged. Lots of deadfalls in the water.

Edited by 14ledo81 5/5/2017 3:29 PM
AndrewR
Posted 5/5/2017 1:04 PM (#860829 - in reply to #860722)

2015xr700 - 5/4/2017 11:38 AM

Hi guys. I would like to fish the Bad River near Ashland. Is this possible or is it all on reservation land? If so, is it worth even going there? I have seen some pics and it looks very remote which appeals to me. Thanks in advance.

Like others have mentioned your best access will be from the lake, traveling around, and making that trek upstream.

Like you, I once looked into it myself as I have a river jon setup similar to what you're looking at: 14ft jon w 15hp and bowmount troller. I float with it all over the place. My efforts on accessing the Bad River ended as soon as friends from Ashland told me you could potentially get shot at, or encounter angry people on the reservation.

Be very very careful by any other accessing methods. The tribe keeps a very safe guard on it. You would however have access to it via. Superior Outfitters, whose operations are based on the river. I believe Keyes and a few have gotten access thru them. Beyond that, very limited.

This could be a stretch, though not impossible. You could possibly dump into the Bad River's upstream skinny waters in the town of Mellen, and go as far downstream towards the lake as you can. I'm sure there's a way to portage through and past copper falls. On google map that looks brutal. I'm sure an overnight camp or two will require making this journey possible.

Good luck.
Flambeauski
Posted 5/5/2017 1:44 PM (#860833 - in reply to #860722)

There are many ways to potentially access it, trouble is getting out. Floating in above the res or via the White or Bunsweiler or Marengo is a one way ride, and you ain't exiting till you hit Saxon or The Bay.

I wasn't going to say anything till Andrew mentioned it but I too have heard that non locals are extremely unwelcome.
I haven't fished there in 30 years but when we did we took a 20' Lund Alaskan from Bodin's. If there's any risk whatsoever of a north wind or east wind you didn't go.

Edited by Flambeauski 5/5/2017 1:56 PM
Cedar
Posted 5/5/2017 4:46 PM (#860846 - in reply to #860722)

I would go in from Superior, and fish just inside the river mouth in the sloughs. That's as far as I've gone in, and felt safe. Plenty of fish in those, and better structure than in the main river. The first one inside the mouth to the East is the big one. Less likely to run into anyone there... it is remote, and some big fish cruise in there. Pull it up on Google maps to get an idea of what's going on there. Wait at least a few days after any medium to heavy rains for the waters to clear up or you will think you're fishing in a cup of coffee.
Unionski
Posted 5/6/2017 6:44 AM (#860885 - in reply to #860846)

Funny. I don't know if you got inspired by The Keyes Outdoors show but a day before you posted, I watched an episode when they took a trip down the same strach you're interested in. One thing for sure is they can find some interesting places to fish. Unfortunatelly I live too far to take a gamble like that. And that spot by the waterfall they fished in a different episode, heaven on Earth. The only thing closest to the thing you're trying to do is when me and my buddy floated down the Wisconsin river above Wausau, Merrill to Brokaw. No fish but still pretty darn fun. Good luck and post if you make it. Pics would be greatly appreciated too.

Edited by Unionski 5/6/2017 12:40 PM
2015xr700
Posted 5/8/2017 10:56 AM (#861084 - in reply to #860722)

Thank you everyone for all the great information! It looks like the best way to do it is to come in from lake superior and go upstream as you guys pointed out. I am going to hold off and think about it for a while as I am not sure it is worth the risk of putting myself in danger just for some fish. I looked into Superior Guides and Outfitters and noticed the owner Mike has the whole property and business listed for sale. I wonder if the tribe will just end up buying him out and shutting it down since the property is inside the reservation. To the guy who mentioned Keyes Outdoors, I found the video & watched it this weekend, now I REALLY want to try it, but as I said not sure if it is worth the risk.
Propster
Posted 5/8/2017 11:22 AM (#861087 - in reply to #860722)

Didn't Jeremy Wade from River Monsters give it a try on the Bad River? I think he used an outfitter with 4 wheelers or something.
2015xr700
Posted 5/8/2017 12:55 PM (#861095 - in reply to #861087)

Propster - 5/8/2017 11:22 AM

Didn't Jeremy Wade from River Monsters give it a try on the Bad River? I think he used an outfitter with 4 wheelers or something.[/QUOTE

I'm not sure, I will have to look for that. I must say I had no idea that that part of the state was as wild and untouched as it is! I have lived in WI all my life and have a cabin in Washburn county. It is nothing like the Bad River area. That area reminds me of the Northwest Territories in Canada and Alaska. Also, the deer and bear in that area are unbelievable, probably the best hunting in the state if not the midwest for sure. Hopefully Superior Outfitters stays open if they do sell. It would be a shame to have no opportunities to experience that area.
14ledo81
Posted 5/8/2017 2:19 PM (#861102 - in reply to #861095)

2015xr700 - 5/8/2017 12:55 PM

Propster - 5/8/2017 11:22 AM

Didn't Jeremy Wade from River Monsters give it a try on the Bad River? I think he used an outfitter with 4 wheelers or something.[/QUOTE

I'm not sure, I will have to look for that. I must say I had no idea that that part of the state was as wild and untouched as it is! I have lived in WI all my life and have a cabin in Washburn county. It is nothing like the Bad River area. That area reminds me of the Northwest Territories in Canada and Alaska. Also, the deer and bear in that area are unbelievable, probably the best hunting in the state if not the midwest for sure. Hopefully Superior Outfitters stays open if they do sell. It would be a shame to have no opportunities to experience that area.

Bear - yes. Deer - no. To many wolves up here now.
Musky19852
Posted 8/25/2018 9:39 AM (#916598 - in reply to #860722)

There are many ways to fish this river... I have done them all multiple times over the last 20 years... A couple as recent as this past year.

Important to know that the upper Bad and the lower Bad are separated by rapids which are not "boat" passable... And the terrain would make for a very brutal and time consuming portage...

Lower bad

1) Come in from Lake Superior as others have mentioned...
2) Launch early am and later pm at boat launch right off HWY 2 in Odanah (Important to have someone drop off and pickup so as to not leave the car/trailer)

Upper Bad

1) Launch 14 foot John boat with small engine off the the bridge - Bad River(Exit Hwy 13 at C/head east which turns into Government road you will hit it after a mile or so)... No one is ever anywhere near this drop off point... Very scenic float down... Will pass where the Potato river enters the bad... You can float all the way down to the rapids which are just below the government brodge which is located on Elmhoist road... You will then take out at the elmhoist bridge...

2) Launch 14 foot boat from shore of bridge on elmhoist road - Will need a drop and pick up here. Can fish upriver as far as you can imagine and down river about 2 miles to the rapids.

3) You can try - I have not yet - Superior Outfitters - They are located just below the bridge on elmhoist road.

Hope this helps.

CincySkeez
Posted 8/26/2018 6:59 PM (#916698 - in reply to #860722)

fish the slough from the lake. Wouldn't risk hitting it anywhere above the res or putting in on the res. A lot of people are confused about where Keyes was fishing and which waterfall....it wasnt the Bad. Also check out the Amnicon where it hits the lake
14ledo81
Posted 8/26/2018 7:57 PM (#916706 - in reply to #916698)

CincySkeez - 8/26/2018 6:59 PM

fish the slough from the lake. Wouldn't risk hitting it anywhere above the res or putting in on the res. A lot of people are confused about where Keyes was fishing and which waterfall....it wasnt the Bad. Also check out the Amnicon where it hits the lake

I agree.

I would definitely not try to launch anywhere actually on the reservation unless it was private property.
Musky19852
Posted 8/27/2018 9:04 AM (#916735 - in reply to #860722)

The best fishing is above the elmhoist bridge... Where elmhoist road crosses the bad... You can fish down 1-2 to rapids and up to the potato river... Very few non-indians have ever fished this stretch! You can access via Superior Outfitters - or near the bride if you have a drop off and pick up.
14ledo81
Posted 8/27/2018 9:41 AM (#916739 - in reply to #916735)

Musky19852 - 8/27/2018 9:04 AM

The best fishing is above the elmhoist bridge... Where elmhoist road crosses the bad... You can fish down 1-2 to rapids and up to the potato river... Very few non-indians have ever fished this stretch! You can access via Superior Outfitters - or near the bride if you have a drop off and pick up.

Again, just want to let people know it is not legal to launch at the bridge.

Can you get away with it? Maybe. Like musky19853 says only if you have a drop off and pick up. I would definitely not suggest it though.
Musky19852
Posted 8/31/2018 11:17 PM (#917248 - in reply to #860722)

Oh but it is the adventure of your lifetime and no one is ever around:-)
Musky19852
Posted 9/1/2018 12:21 AM (#917251 - in reply to #860722)

Only question I do have - is did the 500 year flood of 2016 drive all the fish out of he river?

Anyone heard of any big ones being caught?
14ledo81
Posted 9/1/2018 8:03 AM (#917258 - in reply to #860722)

All washed away....
fish4musky1
Posted 9/1/2018 8:22 AM (#917259 - in reply to #860722)

I wish I had a story that could be used to scare people away from my local river.
Musky19852
Posted 9/2/2018 1:08 AM (#917333 - in reply to #860722)

I was actually being serious and inquiring... We used to see a lot more large Musky above the rapids...
Flambeauski
Posted 9/4/2018 11:11 AM (#917491 - in reply to #860722)

The Bad is the forbidden fruit. It seems attractive because it can't be had. Fact is you don't have to drive far to fish rivers just as good where the locals greet you with a smile and a wave and not an empty bottle whistling by your head.
Smeds
Posted 9/10/2018 12:18 PM (#917960 - in reply to #860724)

Flambeauski - 5/4/2017 11:47 AM

Not even close, unless you missed a "1" in front of that 7. It's over 7 miles to get around Long Island from 2nd landing ... then another 10+ miles to get to the mouth. From Bodin's it's just shy of 3 miles to get past the tip, and another 10+ to the mouth.

We make the run here and there throughout the summer/fall ... would be nice if it was only 7 miles. Watch out for forecasted strong SW winds if you go ... that's a long fetch for waves to build, compounded by the current ripping around the tip of Long Island at most times. You leave in the AM and it's a beautiful day, you round Long Island and you're in for a pounding. Of course, any good winds with anything North in it will have most waves coming from the Canadian shore ... also not good. Plan your trip, respect the big pond ... have fun.
Musky19852
Posted 9/17/2018 11:37 PM (#918702 - in reply to #917960)

You ever fish above the Elmhoist road bridge? I have seen huge Musky in this area of the river over the past 20 years... Also have never seen a gill net or and Indian in a boat in this section of the river... Every 10 trips may see an Indian fishing from shore 100 yards down from the bridge... Always just wave and no issues...

Another question - do you think the big flood flushed the big ones out of this river system? I know for a fact it was 15-20 feet higher on the white, Marengo, Potato and the upper Bad during the flood - the only thing I don't know is what that does to the big Musky...

Lastly - your assessment of the lake - spot on... I have almost met my maker on two trips... Easy(lot of water miles) on the way in and when we left the lower bad through the sloughs - it was "Deadliest Catch Time"... Thus the reason - I love the upper Bad...

Love to hear your thoughts? And anyone else who has been where we are talking about!
Musky19852
Posted 2/5/2019 1:00 AM (#930056 - in reply to #860722)

Anyone fish the Bad River this past fall? I feel like I am the only one... Not that I want to congest the river however - the world record may be held in this river especially during spawning...
Musky19852
Posted 2/5/2019 1:32 AM (#930057 - in reply to #860722)

A great river to fish and hunt - one of the places the Indians do not spear... Too much work for them to had up river - especially above Elmhoist Road Bridge.
Musky19852
Posted 2/9/2019 11:31 PM (#930440 - in reply to #860722)

Any updates? Gonna ice fish it just below the rapids - just down river from the elmhoist road bridge.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)